EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Jul 2018, 04:43 AM   #1
TheBark

Why Fastmail?

I may be beating the bush at this point but I was honestly curious why most of you have stuck around with Fastmail after the price hike and changes over the years? Have you considered using other services?

I am due for renewal and just trying to see if I am missing any info.

Thanks!
TheBark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Jul 2018, 05:18 AM   #2
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Inertia mostly. Plus, like you, many of us are still in legacy plans, so the new pricing doesn't affect us yet. That said, it seems to me that FastMail isn't really interested in catering to individuals and is instead focusing on business customers. Given the writing on the wall, I've started considering moving to another provider, but that probably won't happen for at least a year (at the earliest).

Last edited by placebo : 20 Jul 2018 at 05:09 AM.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2018, 05:23 AM   #3
TheBark

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo View Post
Inertia mostly. Plus, like you, many of us are still in legacy plans, so the new pricing doesn't affect us yet. That said, it seems to me that FastMail isn't really interested in catering to individuals and is instead focusing on business customers. Given the writing on the wall, I've started considering moving to another provider, but that probably won't happen for at least a year.
What other provider are you considering?
Old 19 Jul 2018, 05:32 AM   #4
placebo

I barely just started looking around. Runbox and Tuffmail seem like possibliities.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2018, 08:45 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

What about PolarisMail? Prices are good. Frankly, I really like the simple ProtonMail interface and their webmail, but not sure I want to pay for the encryption bit. Seems to me that most email attacks on ordinary folks is via phishing, while there is no real defense against serious hackers/nation states.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2018, 10:21 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I think FastMail's main remaining selling point for individuals is that it combines good reliability with good privacy. With other providers, you tend to lose one or the other. For instance, Google has excellent reliability, but I have not believed their data protection policies for a long time. Meanwhile, most smaller providers with privacy policies I trust do not have a sufficiently robust infrastructure for me to feel comfortable. Secondarily, but still important, FastMail's performance remains good.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2018, 09:29 PM   #7
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

First choice provider for my needs

Why FastMail?

In my case, in addition to a secure (2FA) account:

E-Mails: Fast, reliable, good spam filtering, sieve, configurable.

Calendar: Just works fine connecting with my other devices.

File Storage: I use it like I used to use Dropbox (I do not need multi GB's of file storage space for my needs), and also to host my personal websites (easy to create new websites, subdomains, etc) with no discernible down times - and also saves me money not having to host separately.

Domains - I use the FastMail DNS for my multiple domains and this has proved reliable and easy to use.

Overall, a package that fits my current needs and at what I consider to be value for money.

And last but not least, a big plus is all the knowledgeable EMD forum members who assist in solving any problems - especially the forum's MVP:

http://emaildiscussions.com/member.php?u=8703

I may have missed something, but you get the idea!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2018, 12:42 AM   #8
gardenweed

.... plus (my personal favourite) the powerful and incredibly fast search feature.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2018, 02:03 AM   #9
ReuvenNY

Price is always a factor but reliability, features and speed are more important.
We are not talking here about hundreds of dollars difference - a $10 is worth to have what I want without compromise.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2018, 05:39 AM   #10
TheBark

Just renewed my subscription with fastmail
Old 20 Jul 2018, 04:37 PM   #11
kijinbear

I've been with Fastmail for at least 10 years, and will continue to use them for the foreseeable future.

No other provider that I've tried so far (Runbox, Tuffmail, Protonmail, Polarismail, MXroute, you name it) matches the speed, reliability, polish, and feature set of Fastmail. The difference is worth a lot more to me than a few dollars per year.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2018, 05:44 PM   #12
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

I dumped FastMail for Pobox.
I have two more 'sleeping' accounts with TuffMail (on the rise lately) and Hushmail (encryption and a nice webmail too).
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2018, 06:52 AM   #13
TenFour
Master of the @

As some have stated, there is very little difference in pricing between many email options, though Free remains the best price! It is a really hard question to answer what service is the best for someone else because priorities vary so much. I have some bottom line things any service must have: reliability, security, deliverability, and ease of use. Fastmail is definitely at or near the top in those categories, though I don't currently use it. I find POBox.com nearly as good for my purposes, though my main email account is with Gmail. However, maybe something like sieve filters is really important to you, or maybe you absolutely want full encryption, or maybe a fully integrated office suite. There are so many variables that what is great value for one may not be worth it for another.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2018, 08:15 PM   #14
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Fastmail is definitely at or near the top in those categories, though I don't currently use it.
But a couple of posts above said you had renewed....
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2018, 10:44 PM   #15
Merovingian
Master of the @

I have had my fastmail for over 10 years, a lot of the main reasons I have kept them have already been mentioned. But I also love their multiple alias feature, and the fact that I was able to get my firstname @ fastmailDOTcom alias several years ago. Not easy to come by such a great address.
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote