EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 22 Sep 2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
de.be virus warning

I notice a very few websites now use the "extention" .de.be which obviously is a person owning de.be domain and offering subdomains of it as URL redirections. I'm unsure whether you can use it for email forwarding or not, and whether you can move it to an own DNS or whether it only works for URL forwarding. Normally I don't pay attention to such services too much, but being Belgian and all that I'm curious

However, when browsing to de.be I get a warning from McAfee that the site would be unsafe, recommending to not access the site. Does anyone else get that same warning? If the service is genuinely offering subdomains (whether someone values such services and URL shorteners or not) then why would the site be littered with malware?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Sep 2015, 08:07 PM   #2
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I suspect that there's one scumbag abusing the service to distribute malware. It only takes one for McAfee to flag the whole site...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2015, 07:27 AM   #3
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

That could be. I believe some similar services, such as the ones offering .da.ru and .co.tv subdomains, have faced similar issues because of some users abusing the service. I guess if you offer a service for free, you only have so little control of how your users are (ab)using it ...

Do you get the same "unsafe site" notification when trying to access their site (de.be registration site I mean)?

It has happened to me that I get messages like that, but when using my parents' computer their antivirus doesn't signal the website as dangerous (but my family live over 100 km away so I cannot just hop in in their place each time I get a notification a website would be unsafe)
Old 2 Oct 2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Or did ANYONE, regardless of which antivirus software they use, get a notification that the registration page for de.be subdomains is dangerous? It could be a McAfee only warning while other antivirus machines may not list the page as dangerous (happened a few times before with other sites that were unsafe according to my protection software, whereas that same website appeared safe according to the antivirus machine my family uses -- a different brand of protection software)
Old 2 Oct 2015, 05:55 PM   #5
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

While I don't have an anti-virus, I use uBlock-Origin, I have it set to use a couple of malware list (http://www.malwaredomains.com/ and http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/). It comes up clean. If it was listed it would have been blocked.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote