EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Aug 2013, 12:14 PM   #1
mjm

PGP/GPG support in webmail

It would be awesome to be able to sign/verify/encrypt/decrypt mail in the webmail interface.

This could be done entirely on the client using the OpenPGP.js library, so all the keys would remain on the client machine and would never touch Fastmail's systems.

There's a Chrome addon for GMail which provides a proof-of-concept.
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Aug 2013, 06:54 PM   #2
jayhen

+1

Nice idea.
jayhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2013, 02:19 AM   #3
Quincy_G

+1 that would be great
Quincy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2013, 11:51 PM   #4
geek15

Chrome Addon

You can configure Mailvelope to work with FastMail. If you follow the instructions in this article, you should be able to get Mailvelope setup pretty quickly. Make sure to follow the instructions under the "Adding New Pages" heading.
geek15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2013, 12:15 AM   #5
RunboxCustomer

In order for it to be practical, people would have to actually use it. Most don't.
RunboxCustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2013, 01:42 AM   #6
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Very true. PGP/GPG are great technologies. Recent events have likely created a new interest. I would be cautious, however. I have lived in many countries and I know that the more security you use, the more scrutiny you bring upon yourself. Ultimately, utilizing these technologies may bring your more harm than good. A simple rule of thumb is, don't break the law and you have little to worry about.

Unfortunately, there are some things for which I'd like to use PGP/GPG. The problem with the technology is that it is clunky and difficult for the average user to implement. (I know, I've tried to use it in the organizations I've led). This is a significant factor in whether the technology is adopted - this does not bode well for the technology - however good it is. I wish it were different but it isn't.

I wouldn't hold your breath for Fastmail implementing this any time soon...
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote