EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Mar 2019, 10:47 PM   #1
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

Comcast throttling Fastmail?

I was replying to an email from my neighbor. Never had a problem reaching her before, but I got a message yesterday saying it couldn't deliver after an hour, then today that it couldn't deliver the message at all. It included the following:

Throttled - try again later. Please see
http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-e...s.php#RL000001

Is this a FM issue? Comcast? I'll try emailing her through my Gmail to see if there is a different result, but wanted to at least ask about this.
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Mar 2019, 11:50 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

The Comcast link you provided indicates that the problem is this:
Quote:
Your email could not be delivered because your sending IP address is listed on the Spamhaus Zen. This is a list of IP addresses which have been detected as sending spam and also contains dynamically assigned IP addresses which are not supposed to send email directly to email servers. Comcast uses these lists to protect its subscribers from receiving spam.
I assume you are sending email normally through FastMail's SMTP servers (or through the FastMail web client).

FastMail usually responds pretty quickly to being listed on spam blocklists. However, you could file a support request just in case they have not yet become aware of the problem.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2019, 11:51 PM   #3
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

The information at that URL says that Comcast are limiting inward emails because the sender (FM, if you're using FM's SMTP server?) is trying to send too many mails. You'd need to ask FM why that's happening.

It may be that FM always send lots of mail to Comcast, or perhaps there's a spammer using FM's servers to deluge Comcast recipients.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2019, 02:28 AM   #4
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

Okay, I'll elevate to FM directly. Thanks.
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2019, 10:50 AM   #5
emoore
Essential Contributor

After reading this thread I sent a message from my fastmail account to my comcast account. I didn't get it so a couple of minutes later I sent another message. I got the second message less than a minute later.

Later in the day I got a message in my fastmail junk folder that said the message could not be delivered for more than one hour, and was throttled. Over 12 hours later I still haven't gotten the first message. Once the second message was received why didn't the retry for the first message eventually work?

host mx1.comcast.net[96.114.157.80] said: 421 4.1.0
66.111.4.29 Throttled - try again later. Please see
http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-e...s.php#RL000001 (in reply to
MAIL FROM command)
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2019, 12:18 AM   #6
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore View Post
Once the second message was received why didn't the retry for the first message eventually work?
No-one here knows the answer. You need to ask Fastmail directly, so they can examine their SMTP server logs and see how often they tried to send the message to Comcast and what happened each time.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote