EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 25 Mar 2016, 06:10 PM   #16
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
I thought that if I'll cancel my Fastmail account and upgrade to Pobox Mailstore I'll save some money (pay just $50 per year) and still be able to handle my emails via Fastmail's web interface.
But I need to be sure that I won't lose a single mail or single file by doing so.
Maybe there is another option?
Or maybe for the time being I should do nothing and just wait?
So what I'm asking is: What should I do? (if anything at all...}
Right now Pobox and FastMail accounts are separate for account management, billing and mail delivery. The backend mail store and web UI are shared.

Because they're managed and billed separately, they can't be transferred. A FastMail account cannot be converted into a Pobox account and vice-versa.

To do what you want, you will need to use the mail migration tool from your Pobox account to migrate the data from your FM account into it. Your files will need to be moved manually. Once you've done that, you can close your FM account.

Of course, you can't use an @fastmail.com (or any FastMail domains) with your Pobox account, or vice-versa. If you have your own domain on your FastMail account, you'll have to transfer that to use Pobox DNS (MyPobox) or a third-party DNS host.

Yes, I recognise that this seems very roundabout considering that FastMail and Pobox Mailstore accounts are all now stored in the same system. But account management and billing is actually the more important thing here, and those aren't unified in any useful way yet. We have had preliminary discussions about what we might do here in the future to consolidate these but we have no concrete plans yet.

So for the moment, treat your FastMail and Pobox accounts as separate things that just happen to have the same UI and it should hopefully be a bit less confusing
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2016, 06:18 PM   #17
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Right now Pobox and FastMail accounts are separate for account management, billing and mail delivery. The backend mail store and web UI are shared.

Because they're managed and billed separately, they can't be transferred. A FastMail account cannot be converted into a Pobox account and vice-versa.

To do what you want, you will need to use the mail migration tool from your Pobox account to migrate the data from your FM account into it. Your files will need to be moved manually. Once you've done that, you can close your FM account.

Of course, you can't use an @fastmail.com (or any FastMail domains) with your Pobox account, or vice-versa. If you have your own domain on your FastMail account, you'll have to transfer that to use Pobox DNS (MyPobox) or a third-party DNS host.

Yes, I recognise that this seems very roundabout considering that FastMail and Pobox Mailstore accounts are all now stored in the same system. But account management and billing is actually the more important thing here, and those aren't unified in any useful way yet. We have had preliminary discussions about what we might do here in the future to consolidate these but we have no concrete plans yet.

So for the moment, treat your FastMail and Pobox accounts as separate things that just happen to have the same UI and it should hopefully be a bit less confusing
Thank you Rob for your clear and detailed answer.
Much appreciated
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2016, 10:25 PM   #18
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Websites can't work because the Pobox domains aren't owned/managed on the FM side. Early next week I'll hide these features from Pobox users; there's no way to make them work currently so they're just confusing.
Pity, your already disabled the website feature. I thought, excuse me my ignorance, we could make use of the Pobox web direction addresses.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2016, 11:19 PM   #19
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
According to the web interface these are the main differences with FastMail:
  • Advanced menu setting is renamed in Pobox (redirects to https://www.pobox.com/home, the management interface of Pobox).
  • Also Billing & Plan, Password & Security, Domains, Aliases, Rules, Spam Protection and Vacation Rules are removed. Use the Pobox management interface for that.
  • No websites and access log in Files.
  • No Logged in Sessions.
  • No custom sieve code editing.

Last edited by Berenburger : 25 Mar 2016 at 11:25 PM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2016, 07:37 AM   #20
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Pity, your already disabled the website feature. I thought, excuse me my ignorance, we could make use of the Pobox web direction addresses.
I guess you could have redirected it to a user.fm address, but that's not at all clear to the majority of Pobox users (or, if we're honest, to the majority of FastMail users).

Like I said, we're reviewing file storage features at the moment, and we'll include similar Pobox features in that.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 07:40 AM   #21
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
I guess you could have redirected it to a user.fm address, but that's not at all clear to the majority of Pobox users (or, if we're honest, to the majority of FastMail users).

Like I said, we're reviewing file storage features at the moment, and we'll include similar Pobox features in that.
every pobox alias can login into the system directly. but FM's alias seems not.
Will you keep pobox's this feature?
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2016, 10:34 AM   #22
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
every pobox alias can login into the system directly. but FM's alias seems not.
Will you keep pobox's this feature?
No plans to get rid of it.

(indeed, I've spent a good chunk of the last few of weeks making it work properly on FastMail, which didn't support it).
Old 26 Mar 2016, 12:59 PM   #23
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
No plans to get rid of it.

(indeed, I've spent a good chunk of the last few of weeks making it work properly on FastMail, which didn't support it).
Perhaps I misunderstood the context here, but why would you want any alias to be able to log into the system? It's a great security feature that only your primary address can log in, it stops login attacks based on address harvesting so long as you never use your primary for sending any email.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2016, 02:47 PM   #24
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood the context here, but why would you want any alias to be able to log into the system? It's a great security feature that only your primary address can log in, it stops login attacks based on address harvesting so long as you never use your primary for sending any email.
I second that.
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2016, 03:54 PM   #25
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Pobox doesn't have a strong notion of a "primary" address. You have an account with one or more aliases, and they're all valid for login. Remember also that the main Pobox service is forwarding, not mail storage and access, so there's the impact of a hacked account is far less severe.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 05:14 PM   #26
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Pobox doesn't have a strong notion of a "primary" address. You have an account with one or more aliases, and they're all valid for login. Remember also that the main Pobox service is forwarding, not mail storage and access, so there's the impact of a hacked account is far less severe.
forwarding only is out of date. will you improve pobox for more modern features? i.e, all level of accounts have email storage.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2016, 05:24 PM   #27
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
forwarding only is out of date.
No, it's really not - it's an important part of the feature lineup and has many happy customers.

If you want mail storage, you can upgrade your existing account to Mailstore or sign up for FastMail.
Old 23 May 2016, 04:00 AM   #28
frogboy

notification from pobox

I didn't get the email

Only reason I know about move for Mailstore customers is google and this site!

I have both FM and Pobox Mailstore. Overkill I know. Just the Pobox.com append subject etc is the killer feature (use with evernote so each notebook has its own mail address in effect)

Anyone know when pobox and fastmail will merge completely?
frogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 06:13 AM   #29
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
No, it's really not - it's an important part of the feature lineup and has many happy customers.

If you want mail storage, you can upgrade your existing account to Mailstore or sign up for FastMail.
Would iOS push mail work with Pobox accounts with the same manner as with FM?
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 11:52 PM   #30
Cory
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by soromak View Post
Would iOS push mail work with Pobox accounts with the same manner as with FM?
Also wondering this!
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote