EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 Mar 2018, 06:44 PM   #1
ferrety

Basic Plan with extra storage or Standard Plan - prices?

Hi there
Is anyone on here on a basic plan or standard plan & knows the costs for extra storage?
I'm deciding which plan to go for, I don't need my own domain but 2GBs of storage is a bit low.
Thanks
PS This information is not available under pricing on their website.

Last edited by ferrety : 18 Mar 2018 at 06:52 PM.
ferrety is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Mar 2018, 07:19 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Years ago, it was possible to purchase extra storage with any of the plans. Now, if you actually need more than 100 GB, and are on a Professional plan, I think FastMail will work with you to get you what you need. If you are on a lower plan, getting more storage implies upgrading to another subscription level.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2018, 07:21 PM   #3
ferrety

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Years ago, it was possible to purchase extra storage with any of the plans. Now, if you actually need more than 100 GB, and are on a Professional plan, I think FastMail will work with you to get you what you need. If you are on a lower plan, getting more storage implies upgrading to another subscription level.
Hi Tim thanks but no they say in their help pages that you can do this now but they direct you to your account to get the prices. Of course you don't get to see them if you are on a trial account

from the current pricing page

"Can I add extra storage for just one user?
Yes. You can double the storage of a single user on any plan for the same cost as adding an extra user, or triple the storage for the same cost as adding two extra users. So for example, if you had an account on our Standard plan, you could add an extra 25 GB quota to a user for an extra $5/month."

Doesn't give costs for basic
Old 18 Mar 2018, 08:39 PM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrety View Post
"Can I add extra storage for just one user?
Yes. You can double the storage of a single user on any plan for the same cost as adding an extra user, or triple the storage for the same cost as adding two extra users. So for example, if you had an account on our Standard plan, you could add an extra 25 GB quota to a user for an extra $5/month."

Doesn't give costs for basic
The answer is there, if I read it correctly:

You can double the storage of a single user on the basic plan, you can add an extra 2 GB quota to a user for an extra $3/month.

Which isn't really cost effective if correct.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2018, 09:17 PM   #5
ferrety

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
The answer is there, if I read it correctly:

You can double the storage of a single user on the basic plan, you can add an extra 2 GB quota to a user for an extra $3/month.

Which isn't really cost effective if correct.
Where did you get the $3/month for the basic plan? Is I blind? Thanks for that. Hmm not sure which way to jump.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 12:40 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Standard plan much better than Basic quota increase

I have both a Basic and a Standard account. Increasing your storage quota (for your mailbox and files) is described on this help page in the Quota section. Adding quota costs the same as another user:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/account/users.html

The Settings>Users>Edit screen (used for adding quota as described in the link above) for a Basic account shows:
  • Quota: 2 GB mail, calendars, contacts + 1 GB files (current quota)
  • Add 2 GB Mail + 1 GB Files to Quota (button to increase quota)
  • Decrease Quota (button to decrease quota)
  • Quota increments cost the same as one extra user; changes will be billed/credited pro rata for our remaining current subscription. The maximum quota per user is 300 GB.
The differences in the account types are shown at:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/account/limits.html

The cost for a Basic plan (in US dollars) is:
  • 1 month $3
  • 1 year $30
  • 2 years $55
  • 3 years $80
The cost for a Standard plan (in US dollars) is:
  • 1 month $5
  • 1 year $50
  • 2 years $90
  • 3 years $130
So you can see that it's much better to purchase a Standard plan if you need more than 2 GB mail storage.
  • Adding the minimum quota increment to a Basic account doubles the cost from $30/year (2 GB mail quota) to $60/year (4 GB mail quota).
  • Purchasing a Standard account costs $50/year (25 GB mail quota). You will also get some other advantages over a Basic account:
    • You can use your own domain (up to 100 domains, actually) if you have one.
    • Mail storage of 25 GB (compared to 2 GB)
    • File storage of 10 GB (compared to 1 GB)
    • Daily limit on messages received or sent of 8,000 (compared to 4,000)
    • Daily limit on total size of messages received or sent (2 GB compared to 1 GB)
    • Doubled bandwidth limits for files/websites.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2018, 01:21 AM   #7
ferrety

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I have both a Basic and a Standard account. Increasing your storage quota (for your mailbox and files) is described on this help page in the Quota section. Adding quota costs the same as another user:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/account/users.html

The Settings>Users>Edit screen (used for adding quota as described in the link above) for a Basic account shows:
  • Quota: 2 GB mail, calendars, contacts + 1 GB files (current quota)
  • Add 2 GB Mail + 1 GB Files to Quota (button to increase quota)
  • Decrease Quota (button to decrease quota)
  • Quota increments cost the same as one extra user; changes will be billed/credited pro rata for our remaining current subscription. The maximum quota per user is 300 GB.
The differences in the account types are shown at:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/account/limits.html

The cost for a Basic plan (in US dollars) is:
  • 1 month $3
  • 1 year $30
  • 2 years $55
  • 3 years $80
The cost for a Standard plan (in US dollars) is:
  • 1 month $5
  • 1 year $50
  • 2 years $90
  • 3 years $130
So you can see that it's much better to purchase a Standard plan if you need more than 2 GB mail storage.
  • Adding the minimum quota increment to a Basic account doubles the cost from $30/year (2 GB mail quota) to $60/year (4 GB mail quota).
  • Purchasing a Standard account costs $50/year (25 GB mail quota). You will also get some other advantages over a Basic account:
    • You can use your own domain (up to 100 domains, actually) if you have one.
    • Mail storage of 25 GB (compared to 2 GB)
    • File storage of 10 GB (compared to 1 GB)
    • Daily limit on messages received or sent of 8,000 (compared to 4,000)
    • Daily limit on total size of messages received or sent (2 GB compared to 1 GB)
    • Doubled bandwidth limits for files/websites.
Bill
Bill thanks heaps for that but I'm wanting the upgrade price not the plan prices I can see plan prices. Also there is no option that I can see for anything other than 1mth or 1yr subscriptions.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 01:38 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Standard plan much better than Basic quota increase

Quote:
Bill thanks heaps for that but I'm wanting the upgrade price not the plan prices I can see plan prices. Also there is no option that I can see for anything other than 1mth or 1yr subscriptions.
The multi-year pricing is shown when you actually purchase or own an account.

As explained in my post and the help system, the upgrade price is the same as the service price. As I shown near the end of my post, doubling the Basic quota from 2 GB to 4 GB is done by doubling the yearly cost from $30/year to $60/year ($30/year additional cost). But you can purchase a much better 25 GB Standard account for $50/year.

So if you already own a Basic account you should upgrade to a Standard account (rather than doubling your cost for much less quota). If you don't own any account, a Standard account is less expensive than any upgrade to a Basic account (which would at least double the Basic cost).

I hope that's clear. There is no rational reason to increase the quota of a Basic account. A Standard account is much better and less expensive.

Bill
Old 19 Mar 2018, 01:40 AM   #9
ferrety

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
As explained in my post and the help system, the upgrade price is the same as the service price. As I shown near the end of my post, doubling the Basic quota from 2 GB to 4 GB is done by doubling the yearly cost from $30/year to $60/year ($30/year additional cost). But you can purchase a much better 25 GB Standard account for $50/year.

So if you already own a Basic account you should upgrade to a Standard account (rather than doubling your cost for much less quota). If you don't own any account, a Standard account is less expensive than any upgrade to a Basic account (which would at least double the Basic cost).

I hope that's clear. There is no rational reason to increase the quota of a Basic account. A Standard account is much better and less expensive.

Bill
I am dumb as a very dumb thing sorry
But I'm very interested in the 2 &3 yr plans I don't get the those options in my temp account
EDIT yes I do, seriously I need a new brain
sorry again & thank you to everyone
Old 19 Mar 2018, 01:47 AM   #10
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
I am dumb as a very dumb thing sorry
But I'm very interested in the 2 &3 yr plans I don't get the those options in my temp account
If you purchase any account you can renew it at any time for another time limit.
  • In the Settings>Billing&Plan page, click Renew Now ...
  • You then see a page which allows you to set the subscription to restart today (immediately) for a subscription length of:
    • 1 month $5 ($5/month)
    • 1 year $50 ($4.17/month)
    • 2 years $90 ($3.75/month)
    • 3 years $130 ($3.61/month)
  • You will be billed based on your existing billing details.
  • I agree it's a bit confusing. Fastmail should make these details visible before you purchase the account.
Bill