EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 May 2016, 05:58 AM   #16
melomac

Don't be to harsh, we do like and even love FM, but we must let FM grow.

We, power user, already have our ways to improve our user experience anyway.
melomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 05:59 AM   #17
jpzNFyPRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by melomac View Post
Don't be to harsh, we do like and even love FM, but we must let FM grow.

We, power user, already have our ways to improve our user experience anyway.

That is ridiculous, I'm sorry to say.

Nothing about Fastmail and growth necessitates a mandatory font change with no alternatives built in.

Many, like myself, use Fastmail across platforms and the default should always be the defaults for that platform or browser with the option to enhance/change to something like this new font.
Forcing a new font should not be the norm.

On iOS for example, Fastmail's text now looks ridiculous and appears almost as some bad Jailbreak theme or Android theming attempt.
It has a feel that is extremely counter to the ethos on iOS.

Plus - Apple's custom SF Font on iOS 9 is beautiful! Let us use it for the Fastmail app please!
jpzNFyPRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 06:02 AM   #18
melomac

Fact is: we always hear the 1% unsatisfied power users, and we have to consider the 99% satisfied users too.

While I am "Helvetica Neue", the new font is not that bad once you decrease its size.
Old 20 May 2016, 06:04 AM   #19
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

They just need to implement a simple theme setting page with a few more options of color, font, etc...

But I do agree that just pushing out a font change like that unannounced seems rather arbitrary and so minor that the risk of annoying people seems too high. Whether or not you like the font (I kind of like it, but understand if someone doesn't), it seems like they should have saved that for a theme improvement where we could switch between this and the old font at least.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 06:06 AM   #20
jpzNFyPRL

Quote:
Fact is: we always hear the 1% unsatisfied power users, and we have to consider the 99% satisfied users too.

While I am "Helvetica Neue", the new font is not that bad once you decrease its size.

Please don't default to the catchy "99% vs the 1%" for this..

We don't have data that says anything about the user division on this and it discredits the argument either way to frame it as that stark of a contrast.

My girlfriend uses Fastmail and is *anything* but a power user and also does care for the new font.

We need to have a classic font option built in.
Old 20 May 2016, 06:11 AM   #21
melomac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzNFyPRL View Post
Plus - Apple's custom SF Font on iOS 9 is beautiful! Let us use it for the Fastmail app please!
Get it here: https://developer.apple.com/fonts/ and modify CSS in Fluid App.

And don't forget to use my Fluid App userscripts too:
https://github.com/melomac/Fluid

Old 20 May 2016, 06:14 AM   #22
jpzNFyPRL

Quote:
Get it here: https://developer.apple.com/fonts/ and modify CSS in Fluid App.

And don't forget to use my Fluid App userscripts too:
https://github.com/melomac/Fluid

Is there a Fluid app for iOS?
I have several iOS devices using the Fastmail app - That's where the main problem is. (on Desktop, to your point, things are solvable)
Old 20 May 2016, 06:33 AM   #23
melomac

I do get your points. What I am trying to tell you is that you never stalked Apple to change MobileMail, but you are on a killing spree against FM for an Open Source font change.

And by the way, anybody knows if the font change was stagged in beta server first?

Last edited by melomac : 20 May 2016 at 06:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 20 May 2016, 06:34 AM   #24
jpzNFyPRL

Quote:
I do get your points. What I am trying to tell you is that you never stalked Apple to change Mobile Mail, but you are on a killing spree against FM for an Open Source font change.

And by the way, does anybody knows if the font change what stagged in beta server first?

I pay for this service - I expect more care about user choice and concern with something as vital as Fonts.

I'm sorry you don't care for my passion on this...
But it's literally disturbing to me as I'm in the Fastmail apps all day long on a variety of platforms and devices.

We should also note - This appears to be change for the sake of change. Totally unnecessary.
Old 20 May 2016, 06:44 AM   #25
tellstar

It's the type of arrogance I recall from the Opera days. I'm really unhappy to have to spend this much time investigating ways in which to reverse a non-improvement.

Is this program switch you applied to your browser a universal over-ride or can it be specific just to Fastmail?

Quote:
THANK you for posting that.
I've now got that working in Chrome on Windows and in Fluid App on Mac (where I run Fastmail in a site specific browser window)

This being so incredibly simple to change (just CSS can do it) just highlights how really poor this will be if FastMail doesn't provide a font/theme option.

We read & write in our email - It's critical to have some styling control. Imagine if a Kindle (as an example) didn't provide any font options whatsoever.

I'm really upset that FM just "did this" and their support response to me was "most users have said they like it". Absolutely infuriating.

Last edited by tellstar : 20 May 2016 at 06:49 AM.
tellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 06:50 AM   #26
jpzNFyPRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellstar View Post
It's the type of arrogance I recall from the Opera days. I'm really unhappy to have to spend this much time investigating ways in which to reverse a non-improvement.

Is this program switch you applied to your browser a universal over-ride or can it be specific just to Fastmail?

In Chrome there are good and easy ways to load a site specific CSS override.
What browser/OS are you using so we can all help?
Old 20 May 2016, 06:54 AM   #27
tellstar

Quote:
In Chrome there are good and easy ways to load a site specific CSS override.
What browser/OS are you using so we can all help?
I typically use the latest Firefox. It has a universal override, but I don't want all sites affected.
tellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 06:56 AM   #28
jpzNFyPRL

Quote:
I typically use the latest Firefox. It has a universal override, but I don't want all sites affected.
Perhaps an Extension like Stylish or User Style Manager from the add ons site?

I think both will allow you to load in that snippet of CSS and it will only impact Fastmail.com

Working very well for me on Chrome (Windows 10) as well as Fluid App on Mac.
Old 20 May 2016, 06:58 AM   #29
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

The quick and easy solution for everything is if FM would add a simple drop-down font choice in the settings, and then keep on working on theme stuff for later. FM, you listening to this thread?
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 07:01 AM   #30
jssrea

Quote:
Code:
@-moz-document domain(fastmail.com) {
    html { 
        font: 13px/1.5 sans-serif !important; 
}
jssrea is offline   Reply With Quote