EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 11 Aug 2015, 05:06 AM   #16
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
The service provider should have privacy policies that protect the customer as much as good business practices and the law will allow.
Where in the law does it say that companies have to store users personal information, before they can provide them with an email account?

As far as your other requirements go I do agree with them. Posteo (the company we were discussing when this subject came up) meets all of them.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2015, 06:50 AM   #17
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
IMHO, this last paragraph makes the previous ones irrelevant.

From what you've posted previously - over the years - I would have thought you would be best using your own domain, and having a LOCAL archive back-up of your e-mails, instead of relying on storing them online.
When refering to a local archive, you mean like in MS Outlook where you can save your emails on the hard drive?

One thing to keep into account though: your own domain name's forwarding email address can be used, but when you reply to the emails received your true email address (like ...@mail.com) will show. The receiver may store that email address and only have used your forwarding address with own domain the very first time email traffic came into being. By the time you have to change mailbox, they may have forgotten about your own domain's email address and keep emailing the address the "forwarding address" was initially forwarding to.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2015, 03:19 AM   #18
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
When refering to a local archive, you mean like in MS Outlook where you can save your emails on the hard drive?
I wasn't thinking of MS Outlook, more like MailStore Home.

I use that program on a weekly basis, to back-up my e-mails locally - I've set up a calendar event for every Saturday just to remind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
One thing to keep into account though: your own domain name's forwarding email address can be used, but when you reply to the emails received your true email address (like ...@mail.com) will show.
In Posteo - most probably many other providers too - you can add a "Reply-To:" option to your e-mail address.

For example, my Posteo e-mail address (not my own domain), I have the Reply-To: set to reply to my own domain e-mail address.

Even though someone receives my e-mail that says from "me@posteo", if someone replies to that e-mail, it goes to my own domain e-mail address.

If you have your own domain, why not utilize it?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2015, 09:12 PM   #19
mechanic

(Sorry about late reply but this seems better than new thread)

Posteo.de claims to have in-place spam filters, but there's no way for users to check their operation or tune them. Or have I missed something?
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2015, 11:08 AM   #20
rockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
(Sorry about late reply but this seems better than new thread)

Posteo.de claims to have in-place spam filters, but there's no way for users to check their operation or tune them. Or have I missed something?
Correct.

I am enjoying the service. I have most of the encryption features enabled, except the PGP inbound encryption. My mailbox, contacts and calendar are encrypted at rest. They use TLS SMTP connections whenever possible. It is well done.
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2015, 11:58 AM   #21
David
Ultimate Contributor

After using Posteo for a couple of weeks I decided to go elsewhere. Posteo's service is fine but their web interface (you have a choice of two) just does not cut it. If I was using an IMAP connection (with a client) I would have stayed.
Old 17 Sep 2015, 03:30 PM   #22
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
After using Posteo for a couple of weeks I decided to go elsewhere. Posteo's service is fine but their web interface (you have a choice of two) just does not cut it. If I was using an IMAP connection (with a client) I would have stayed.
Thanks david for the info.
Is their webmail just native roundcube or customized roundcube?
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2015, 05:31 PM   #23
jl66
Essential Contributor

I think just the opposite: I am not going to change it to another email provider, I am very happy with Posteo after many months, I am only using webmail with encryption (not IMAP or POP to avoid some attacks), with PGP (Mailvelope), and I love they use Dane.
I find it very fast and without problems or disconnections until now.
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2015, 05:48 PM   #24
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl66 View Post
I think just the opposite: I am not going to change it to another email provider, I am very happy with Posteo after many months, I am only using webmail with encryption (not IMAP or POP to avoid some attacks), with PGP (Mailvelope), and I love they use Dane.
I find it very fast and without problems or disconnections until now.
what's the advantages by using dane? thanks.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2015, 08:29 PM   #25
jl66
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
what's the advantages by using dane? thanks.
http://www.internetsociety.org/deplo...esources/dane/
Old 17 Sep 2015, 08:39 PM   #26
jl66
Essential Contributor

Emails are encrypted in Posteo (if you choose that option). If some hacker access your account all the emails are encrypted.
IMAP/POP is disabled (if you choose that option), so hackers canīt try throught those ports to hack your account.
You can also choose 2 Factor Autentication and only allow to login with the code you get with your phone app (FreeOTP).
You can use encryption to send/receive emails encrypted to/from some friends using Mailvelope extension and adding your PGP keys. They are used locally and not inside Posteo.
Posteo works very well without problems until now and itīs cheap ($1 monthly), you can add funds everytime you want, or add some more aliases if you want to pay some more cents every month (2 aliases are free), or delete your previous aliases and add new ones.
They are worried about your security and they fight against false or non-necessary requests from authorities.
These are some advantages and why I only use it now. Of course I never use online my main posteo account, only aliases.
Old 17 Sep 2015, 08:53 PM   #27
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl66 View Post
Emails are encrypted in Posteo (if you choose that option). If some hacker access your account all the emails are encrypted.
IMAP/POP is disabled (if you choose that option), so hackers canīt try throught those ports to hack your account.
You can also choose 2 Factor Autentication and only allow to login with the code you get with your phone app (FreeOTP).
You can use encryption to send/receive emails encrypted to/from some friends using Mailvelope extension and adding your PGP keys. They are used locally and not inside Posteo.
Posteo works very well without problems until now and itīs cheap ($1 monthly), you can add funds everytime you want, or add some more aliases if you want to pay some more cents every month (2 aliases are free), or delete your previous aliases and add new ones.
They are worried about your security and they fight against false or non-necessary requests from authorities.
These are some advantages and why I only use it now. Of course I never use online my main posteo account, only aliases.
I agree with this user. Posteo seems to be a good secure email provider. Roundcube is not the fastest webclient but it's ok. Sadly, they do not support the use of own domains, which is enough to make some potential customers look elsewhere (like me..).
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2015, 09:13 PM   #28
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Was it functionality or was the interface not pretty enough?

I think you mentioned previously setting up an own domain with your Posteo account.

Any problems with that?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2015, 11:56 PM   #29
David
Ultimate Contributor

I was not able to set up a domain name (it's not allowed) Basically I used forwarding from my domain name registrars and created alias addresses in order to reply.

Both interfaces are pretty much the same but seemed flaky. Sometimes you received nothing - sometimes a blank screen. It seemed pretty random

It is fast and seemed okay otherwise.

you do have to pay upfront (for a year) one Euro a month I think. I let them keep my unused money (though you can get it back) as I do think the service will improve. I will return and check it out in a year or so.

Last edited by David : 18 Sep 2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 11:08 AM   #30
rockman

Quote:
AFAIK, there is only one interface and you can switch languages between DE and EN. The interface is a customized RoundCube integrating contacts and calendars with CardDAV and CalDAV for syncing with other devices.
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote