EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 14 Aug 2014, 08:00 PM   #1
mechanic

Copy mail item

Howto copy a mail item from INBOX to some other folder? Particularly in the filters where I can save to another folder but that deletes the item in INBOX. Why no copy option?
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Aug 2014, 09:25 AM   #2
kservik
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
Howto copy a mail item from INBOX to some other folder? Particularly in the filters where I can save to another folder but that deletes the item in INBOX. Why no copy option?
It does not actually not delete the message, it just moves it. Duplicates of emails is normally a bad thing.

There is one operator that makes a copy and that is the "Forward" operator, but that is only relevant when also using a external account.

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2014, 06:13 PM   #3
mechanic

Quote:
It does not actually not delete the message, it just moves it. Duplicates of emails is normally a bad thing.
No. In the old days we might physically file duplicates of letters in several folders (to make them easier to find) now we might need to copy email items to different folders. Saved searches won't always help.

Sieve filters apparently can do this on the server side - why no equivalent on the runbox servers? I see FastMail offer this, why can't Runbox?
Old 3 Sep 2014, 05:57 PM   #4
mechanic

A quick follow-up; Postbox IMAP client has the 'copy' option in their filters,as of course does Thunderbird.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 08:43 PM   #5
dbowdley
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
A quick follow-up; Postbox IMAP client has the 'copy' option in their filters,as of course does Thunderbird.
Yes, I think most email clients have a copy feature. Certainly all the main ones do. I can see the use of copying emails in the way you mention.

However, unintended duplicates of an email can be problematic and a sign of some other problem.
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote