EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 8 Oct 2010, 08:25 PM   #1
hardya

Emails from one server still do not arrive at google

I have fully set up my domain name with google email. Setup MX fields etc etc. The domin is with ukreg, I used zonedit because fasthosts who provided the hosting for the domain don't provide full dns email filed editing and recommend zonedit.

I did some tests and found that emails sent through vefemail smtp server all arrived with google fine straight away and consistently.

I found that emails from my Sky smtp server did not.

I had heared that CNAME setting (advised by google for neat url for webmail site access) can affect the delivery of mail to your domain.

I removed the CNAME setting and after a while my sky emails started coming through, but I still cannot get emails from my university (ljmu.ac.uk) account either using the ljmu smtp server direct from my thunderbird client or from outlook (exchange server?) while on the university campus or logged on via terminalserver (essentially same).

I get the 550 error saying that the recipient server (google?) says the name is not in the virtual table (status 14).

This leaves me with greatly reduced confidence that emails sent by others will get through and I do not want to start using the account until I am sure.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
hardya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Oct 2010, 08:26 PM   #2
hardya

email from some sources not arriving

I have fully set up my domain name with google email. Setup MX fields etc etc. The domin is with ukreg, I used zonedit because fasthosts who provided the hosting for the domain don't provide full dns email filed editing and recommend zonedit.

I did some tests and found that emails sent through vefemail smtp server all arrived with google fine straight away and consistently.

I had heared that CNAME setting (advised by google for neat url for webmail site access) can affect the delivery of mail to your domain.

I removed the CNAME setting and after a while my sky emails started coming through, but I still cannot get emails from my university (ljmu.ac.uk) account either using the ljmu smtp server direct from my thunderbird client or from outlook (exchange server?) while on the university campus or logged on via terminalserver (essentially same).

I get the 550 error saying that the recipient server (google?) says the name is not in the virtual table (status 14).

This leaves me with greatly reduced confidence that emails sent by others will get through and I do not want to start using the account until I am sure.

Old 8 Oct 2010, 08:59 PM   #3
ReuvenNY

Moderator's comment

Welcome to the forum, hardya!
Please read the forum posting rules - cross posting is not permitted!
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Oct 2010, 01:16 AM   #4
hardya

Opps sorry!
Old 9 Oct 2010, 01:30 AM   #5
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardya View Post

I suspect that those smtp servers use DNS server with slower propagation. Vfemail is just refreshing a bit faster.
Is it now more than 24 hours since you setup your domain to be hosted with Google?
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2010, 05:36 AM   #6
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
This makes me think that Google is not recognizing your university's SMTP server, and rejecting it as spam. I could be wrong - can you receive your university mail in a regular Gmail (not Google Apps) account?
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2010, 05:43 PM   #7
hardya

Hi thank you for all the replies.

I am hoping soromak is right. Emails are now coming through, but the wait was greater than 24 hours by a factor of (not sure didnt keep proper track, but at least ) 3 I think.

I am hoping this is not an intermitent case of seeing the ljmu smpt server as sending spam. I shall wait some time to see if it is consistent.

BTW - I didnt realise these responses had come in. How do I set up getting emailed when responses come in?

Thanks again for your advice.

Andrew
Old 13 Oct 2010, 02:27 AM   #8
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardya View Post
BTW - I didnt realise these responses had come in. How do I set up getting emailed when responses come in?
You can click on the link "User CP (User Control Panel) at the top left then on "Edit Options".

Welcome to EMD

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote