EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Dec 2018, 09:31 AM   #1
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Limit Number of Messages Displayed?

Sorry this is so basic, but where is the setting to specify the number of messages displayed onscreen?
I could not find it in folder settings, the message index, or by searching this forum and fastmail help.

Thanks.

Ellen
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Dec 2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I dont think there is.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2018, 12:17 PM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I believe it's based on your browser's window size only. Shrink the browser window to shrink the list.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2018, 12:45 PM   #4
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Thanks, guys. That explains why I couldn't find it.

I want to limit the number per page regardless of the screen size, as the scroll bar displays every message in a folder if you scroll long enough.

I'm trying to delete thousands of messages and it would be quicker if i could eyeball, say, 50 or 100, after searching for specific criteria, to be sure I don't delete ones I want to keep. Without that feature, it makes the process a bit more tedious.

Ellen
Old 22 Dec 2018, 04:17 PM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Using keyboard shortcuts and other tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellentk View Post
...I want to limit the number per page regardless of the screen size...
Ellen, let's go back to basics and discuss what you can do to change how you read messages.
  • First we need to understand what type of device you are using. I'm assuming in this discussion you are using a modern browser (such as Edge, Firefox, or Chrome) on a PC. If you are using the Fastmail app on an iPhone or the Mail app on the phone you will have different results.
  • The number of messages you can see at one moment depends on the font size. The font size is affected by:
    • The browser zoom setting. In most modern browsers you can change the browser zoom using CTL - (smaller), CTL + (larger), and CTL 0 (zero to reset to default zoom). So you might be able to get the effect you wish by using browser zoom.
    • The PC display, video graphics hardware, and various settings for the graphic resolution.
    • The Fastmail Settings>General>Preferences>Themes selection. You can change the UI Font and the Large Font theme has larger characters than the other themes.
  • You can change whether there is a preview of the message body shown in the donversation list or just the sender, subject, and date. See: Settings>Mail>Preferences>Reading>Preview
  • You can change how you read the message body in Settings>General>Preferences>Layout as follows:
    • Show reading pane: A reading pan appears to the right of the conversation list. When you select a message or open a message, that message body appears in the area to the right of the conversation list. You can drag the divider between the conversation list and message body display areas to the right or left as desired. If you make the conversation list too narrow the conversation list will wrap so the From and Subject are on top of each other. This will limit the number of messages shown on each page.
    • Hide reading panel: When viewing the conversation list you only see the conversation list and can't simultaneously see any message body. Opening a message replaces the conversation list with one conversation and you must return to the folder to see the conversation list again.
    • In Settings>Mail>Preferences>Reading>Navigation you can set whether you move to the mailbox listing, previous conversation, or next conversation when you delete or move a message.
    • Another key feature is in Settings>General>Preferences>General>Keyboard shortcuts. Here is a list of the available keyboard shortcut keys:
      https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/kbshortcuts.html
If you enable the reading pane and keyboard shortcuts, you can do the following to quickly go through your messages:
  • Click a message and it will open in the reading pane.
  • The D key will delete that conversation and move up or down in the conversation list (depending on the setting described earlier).
  • The M key will move that conversation to a folder. You can type characters to locate the folder name and then use the Enter key to move the message.
  • The Y key will move that conversation to the Archive folder.
  • The J key will move to the next message in the conversation list.
  • The K key will move to the previous message in the conversation list.
  • So if the navigation is set to go to the next conversation, you can start at the top message in the conversation list and use the D key repeatedly to delete messages until you get to one you want to keep. You then use the J key to skip to the next message without deleting. The Z key will undo a single deletion or move action.
  • Note than when you move to the last message displayed, the conversation list will shift most of a page down when you use the J key.
  • You can use the Space key to page down and Shift-Space to page up.
  • So if you wanted to move through your messages in pages you can do that using this procedure.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2018, 02:26 PM   #6
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Thanks so much for the great information, Bill.

I want to limit the messages that appear in a search so I can delete them with one click.

I have a lot of messages and it's quicker to do a broad search for a key word in the subject or from, then sort them, and then scan, say, 50 messages to make sure the broad search didn't capture messages I want to keep. It doesn't sound like I can do that without a "view X messages at a time" feature.

The shortcuts you mentioned are very helpful and I'll use them for other tasks. But even using page up or down, all messages in a search will be highlighted, so it won't do what i'm after.

You are correct: I'm deleting the messages on the web portal on a PC with a browser.

Thanks again for your help.

Ellen
Old 29 Dec 2018, 11:08 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Hi, Ellen. A search returns all matching conversations. There is no way to limit the results other than make a more specific search.

There are many ways to go through your messages and delete certain ones.
  • As I described in my previous post, you can use keyboard shortcuts to step through the messages (in the reading pane) one by one and use the D key to delete that message or the J key to skip to the next message without deleting.
  • You can select all messages in the search (including those hidden messages scrolled off the display) using the checkbox at the top of the checkboxes. Then can then use the Delete button to move the selected messages to your Trash folder.
  • You can select any message with your mouse or by using the J and K keys to move through the list. Then use the keyboard shortcut shift+X to select the range from the top of the list down through that message. Then you can then use the Delete button to move the selected messages to your Trash folder.
  • You can click any checkbox with your mouse, then hold the Shift key while you click any other checkbox. That range of messages will be selected. Then you can then use the Delete button to move the selected messages to your Trash folder.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2018, 12:01 PM   #8
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Thanks again, Bill.

Highlighting groups of message, as you've showed me, will allow me to do what I want
with fewer keystrokes.

Sorry you had to write me twice about this.

Happy New Year!

Ellen