EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Feb 2012, 11:47 PM   #1
GeraldR
Essential Contributor

Unhappy Sent mail when copy to folder is turned off

I just sent out an email using Thunderbird with a new identity. I mistakenly turned off "Place a copy in: Sent items". How can I get a copy of this sent email?
GeraldR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Feb 2012, 04:00 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldR View Post
I just sent out an email using Thunderbird with a new identity. I mistakenly turned off "Place a copy in: Sent items". How can I get a copy of this sent email?
Unless you both (i) are using FM's SMTP server (mail.messagingengine.com), and (ii) have specified in the FM personality that you want messages automatically saved to a server side folder, then I do not believe there is a straightforward technical method to recover a sent email. I would send a follow-up email explaining the situation to your correspondent and asking him to forward a copy back to you.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2012, 04:12 AM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Could you clarify a few things:

Are you using IMAP in Thunderbird?
Have you checked in local folders for the sent e-mail?
Do you mean a new "Thunderbird Identity" or a "Fastmail Alias"?

FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2012, 04:27 AM   #4
GeraldR
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Unless you both (i) are using FM's SMTP server (mail.messagingengine.com), and (ii) have specified in the FM personality that you want messages automatically saved to a server side folder, then I do not believe there is a straightforward technical method to recover a sent email. . . . .
Thank you for the suggestion.

I am using the FM smtp server and "Sent Items on SMTP - Also save to folder when sending via email software" is checked for the default personality. The Sent items folder is set as "Sent Items". Is that were an sent smtp message would go? I still don't see my sent email

Last edited by GeraldR : 8 Feb 2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: typos
Old 8 Feb 2012, 04:34 AM   #5
GeraldR
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Could you clarify a few things:

Are you using IMAP in Thunderbird?
Have you checked in local folders for the sent e-mail?
Do you mean a new "Thunderbird Identity" or a "Fastmail Alias"?

I am using IMAP in Thunderbird.
Good idea. Local folders was empty.
I mean a new T-bird identity.
Old 8 Feb 2012, 10:41 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldR View Post
...I am using the FM smtp server and "Sent Items on SMTP - Also save to folder when sending via email software" is checked for the default personality. The Sent items folder is set as "Sent Items". Is that were an sent smtp message would go? I still don't see my sent email
If you sent the message with a From email address with matches the email address in a personality, then the Sent Items on SMTP setting will be applied, and the message should be in your Sent Items folder on the Fastmail server. If more than one personality has that same email address, then I think there is no guarantee of which one will be used in this case.

What is important isn't the default personality, but instead the (hopefully unique) personality whose email address setting matches the From address used by the email client when sending through the Fastmail SMTP. I just double-checked this behavior, and a copy of the message sent via Thunderbird was saved in my Sent Items folder at the Fastmail server just as I described above.

If you were offline (no Internet connection) when you tried to send that message from Thunderbird, then the message should be in your Thunderbird Local Folders > Outbox folder until you come back online. At that time, by default you should get a popup dialog box which asks, "Do you want to send your unsent messages now?".

And remember that if that new identity in Thunderbird was set to a non-Fastmail SMTP, then the Fastmail server settings are moot, so be sure to check that setting.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2012, 09:00 PM   #7
GeraldR
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
If you sent the message with a From email address with matches the email address in a personality, then the Sent Items on SMTP setting will be applied, and the message should be in your Sent Items folder on the Fastmail server.
. . . .
Bill
That's what tripped me. The from address did not match any personality. Too late for my email I will fix the problem. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 9 Feb 2012, 05:06 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

If the message was sent from an email client through the Fastmail SMTP and the From address does not match any Fastmail personality, then the default personality settings will be used. So whatever you have set in the Sent Items and Sent Items on SMTP fields for your default personality (listed with an asterisk*) will be used. I just checked and indeed this is what happens.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2012, 09:50 PM   #9
GeraldR
Essential Contributor

Bill,

Thanks for checking that. Somehow it missed working for me. Could be a bug or could be operator error. When I get some time I will do some experiments.

Gerald

Last edited by GeraldR : 9 Feb 2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: signature
Old 28 Apr 2013, 06:44 AM   #10
Kudbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
If the message was sent from an email client through the Fastmail SMTP and the From address does not match any Fastmail personality, then the default personality settings will be used.
In my testing, an unmatched From address does not use the default personality's Sent Items on SMTP setting.
Kudbe is offline   Reply With Quote