EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Oct 2021, 10:15 PM   #16
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
As for the specific case - you do get to see the address before creating it, and you have an option to regenerate (up to 5 times) if you don't like the one you get. So that takes a lot of the possible risks out.

Thanks for replying here.

When I first mentioned the possible problem of inappropriate words (and indeed even the numeric part might have significance - eg "0007" would perhaps not be a good choice for anything to do with intelligence, and some cultures associate good or bad luck with some numbers) I'd not yet clicked the button to set up one of these addresses.

I did do so yesterday though and did see that one can see the generated value - and if one cancels the dialogue and tries again one gets a different value. I suggested (in a ticket) that it might be a good idea for you to add to the screen that shows the generated address a suggestion that users eyeball the value and make sure it doesn't seem inappropriate to them (for their culture, their knowledge of who the recipient is, etc).
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2021, 05:19 AM   #17
earlybird

So the one thing here I don't like is that they added 1Password product mentions to the main settings screen of this feature. I have disdain for pushing other companies' paid services in one's own product, and also adding absurdly big logos to go with it. Hopefully this is not the beginning of fishing for new revenue streams at the expense of driving a brand and product against a wall.

I have created a uBlock cosmetic filter to remove that panel.

Otherwise, it's a nice feature, albeit none I've been missing, as I have a dedicated domain for exactly the same use case, as well as a catch-all domain for trash mail.

https://scrot.cloud/image/screenshot...2-212111.BKV80

Last edited by earlybird : 3 Oct 2021 at 05:22 AM. Reason: add scrot
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2021, 09:10 PM   #18
jaybea28309

Which account used in own domains

I like the idea of this in theory, but I am a bit confused about that happens in multi-email account senarios on custom domains.

As well as individual user accounts for individual family members, I also have a set of email addresses I use for different purposes. If I create a masked email address, say "example.mask0123@personaldomain.com, what email account does that come back into? The email account associated with 1Password? I can see that if I manually create a masked email when I am logged into user@personaldomain.com through the Fastmail website than that would be linked to the masked address, but if I am using the 1Password integration on a website I don't want to use the account linked to 1Password, but "shopping@domain.com" for example.
jaybea28309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2021, 11:18 PM   #19
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybea28309 View Post
I like the idea of this in theory, but I am a bit confused..
A masked email address will deliver to your Fastmail account, but the email address is stored in the 1Password entry which the address was created for. Now, I don't use the masked email feature or 1Password, but I'm positive this is how it works.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2021, 12:09 AM   #20
TenFour
Master of the @

Sheesh, I just looked and 1Password is either $2.99 a month for an individual or $4.99 a month for a family account. I fail to see what they provide that is superior to other services like Bitwarden that is $10 a year for a Premium account, but with a robust free account that is plenty for many people. If you are using Masked Email and you decide to drop either 1Password or Fastmail you will have to unwind the two services first.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2021, 06:42 AM   #21
spamsux

It's a good feature, but it looks like it only works if you check your mail through the browser... won't work with Thunderbird.
spamsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2021, 06:47 AM   #22
somdcomputerguy

Hmm. You can't get it via an email client/Fastmails mail servers..

- Bruce
Old 18 Oct 2021, 07:04 AM   #23
spamsux

When I reply through Thunderbird, it gives out the real email I used to reply, not the masked email.
Old 18 Oct 2021, 07:15 AM   #24
somdcomputerguy

I see. With the 'masked email' service that I use, when you reply to an email sent to a 'masked email address', what you're actually doing is sending the email to them (the service), and they send it to who you actually want but uses that 'masked email address' as the From:. The email that the recipient gets has the services mail servers and not the Fastmail ones. This is whether this is done via webmail or email client.

- Bruce

eta: I was just thinking that a Fastmail Masked Email address may be more acceptable, like in registration procedures and whatnot, than one created by what some call a Disposable Email Address service..

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 18 Oct 2021 at 07:21 AM. Reason: edited to add
Old 18 Oct 2021, 11:36 AM   #25
spamsux

Spamex forwards emails using a unique contact address, which allows you to reply through them and the sender sees only the original disposable that they used. Perhaps Fastmail will work on adding this in the future. It's a good start.

I do agree that a Fastmail address would be more acceptable to some people... although to me Spamex should not be classified with some of the others. They're also a paid service.

Of course FastMail also has the subdomain option if you need an email address in a hurry. (me@fastmail.fm can be used to generate anything@me.fastmail.fm)

Last edited by spamsux : 18 Oct 2021 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added a sentence
Old 18 Oct 2021, 07:41 PM   #26
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamsux View Post
Of course FastMail also has the subdomain option if you need an email address in a hurry. (me@fastmail.fm can be used to generate anything@me.fastmail.fm)
Which is the scheme I described in another thread. So I'm curious. Given the "masked" address where you don't get the choice of the local part vs. the subdomained alias where you do, if both options are available, as they are in FM, and you don't care about the 1Password connection, is there any benefit using one of these "masked" email address over the subdomained alias? At least with the subdomained alias you get to choose the "anything" in anything@me.fastmail.fm which can be descriptive of who or what the address is being used for. Or to put it another way, what am I missing with this "masked" address feature that was compelling enough for FM to add it other than a tie-in with 1Password? Simplicity maybe comes to mind but what else?

Last edited by xyzzy : 18 Oct 2021 at 07:56 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2021, 11:17 PM   #27
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Which is the scheme I described in another thread. At least with the subdomained alias you get to choose the "anything" in anything@me.fastmail.fm which can be descriptive of who or what the address is being used for. Or to put it another way, what am I missing with this "masked" address feature that was compelling enough for FM to add it other than a tie-in with 1Password? Simplicity maybe comes to mind but what else?
I actually use 1Password but (like you, I think) I use a subdomain at my personal domain for all my masked emails. ...I do store them in 1Password and have never had a problem.

Being able to choose the word before the @ helps me as I link it to the website in question. ...I think this would help me know where spam comes from if that website sells my email info etc.

...but I see this can be useful to those that don't have their own domain to do this with.

Last edited by JamesHenderson : 18 Oct 2021 at 11:18 PM. Reason: addig last paragraph...
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2021, 01:15 AM   #28
spamsux

I think maybe the advantage of the masked email is the ability to just delete it if the spam starts coming in. With the subdomain (spammer@me.fastmail.com, for example) you would create a filter for that particular email to just delete anything to that particular email.

I guess each option has its pros and cons.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 01:33 PM   #29
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
...but I see this can be useful to those that don't have their own domain to do this with.
I don't have my own domain (I've always used a forwarding service) so I guess that's why I favor the subdomain method. Plus I like being able to use FM's fuzzy folder matching for auto-filtering into corresponding folders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamsux View Post
I think maybe the advantage of the masked email is the ability to just delete it if the spam starts coming in. With the subdomain (spammer@me.fastmail.com, for example) you would create a filter for that particular email to just delete anything to that particular email.
I already provided the code for that in my Sieve script. For me all it takes is to simply add the email address to a string :matches ["list"]. Actually I have 3 lists depending on how I want to handle deletions: reject only, save only in a folder just in case I'm curious who is still using the address, and a save+reject. Seemed like a good idea at the time I was coding them but so far I have nothing in these lists so maybe all these choices may turn out to be overkill!

Quote:
I guess each option has its pros and cons.
Apparently!
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote