EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 22 Jan 2022, 04:28 PM   #16
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I've forwarded all the "Google Play Order Receipt" e-mails from my Legacy to my Gmail account.

I notice in these e-mails, it says:

Quote:
After purchasing an app or game on Google Play, you can return it within two hours for a full refund. This does not apply for in-app purchases or in-app subscriptions.

If the return period has passed or you wish to request a refund for an in-app purchase or in-app subscription, we recommend contacting the app developer directly.
I'm guessing that Google will say contact the app developer for a refund - or transfer the licence to another Gmail account?

I don't think the app developer would welcome all that extra work!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2022, 06:22 PM   #17
petergh
Master of the @

Of note from the previously mentioned article:

Quote:
When we asked if moving purchases between accounts might be possible, a Google representative confirmed it wasn't:

"No, customers cannot move those subscriptions and purchases to a free Google Account. If a customer does not wish to upgrade, they will not be asked to forfeit their login credentials, and they will not lose access to other Google services, such as YouTube, Photos and Google Play, nor paid content, including YouTube and Play Store purchases. They will be able to continue to log into their Google services and third-party sites with Google credentials. If a customer does not upgrade, only core services in a customer’s Google Workspace subscription, such as Gmail, Calendar, Drive, and Meet, will be suspended. In this state, users won’t be able to receive or send email, including authenticating password resets via email. Without access to Gmail in the suspended state, we recommend customers use a different email to send and receive email messages, including changing logins and authenticating new passwords."
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2022, 03:14 AM   #18
TenFour
Master of the @

Also, this is stated now on an official Google help page:
Quote:
If you don’t upgrade to a Google Workspace subscription, you will not lose access to other Google Services, including YouTube, Google Photos, and Google Play, nor paid content, including YouTube and Play Store purchases.
https://support.google.com/a/answer/...emium-features

There's also this:
Quote:
If you have questions, you can contact:

Google Workspace support
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2022, 03:38 AM   #19
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

This is confusing:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/...n-subscription

Quote:
Legacy free edition upgrade questions
Can I keep my G Suite legacy free edition subscription?
No. All G Suite legacy free edition subscriptions must upgrade to a Google Workspace subscription. We recommend you upgrade to a Google Workspace edition that meets your needs. If you choose not to upgrade by May 1, 2022, we will automatically upgrade your organization to a recommended subscription.
I wonder what this automatic upgrade to a 'recommended subscription" actually means?

If they're saying you still retain certain services, then the account must still exist, whatever name they call it.

I've removed the payment method from my Legacy account, just to make sure they don't upgrade the account.
Old 26 Jan 2022, 09:06 PM   #20
TenFour
Master of the @

I think this is new information, from here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/...e-subscription
Quote:
In the coming months, we'll provide an option for you to move your non-Google Workspace paid content and most of your data to a no-cost option. This new option won't include premium features like custom email or multi-account management. You'll be able to evaluate this option prior to July 1, 2022 and prior to account suspension. We'll update this article with details in the coming months.
Old 26 Jan 2022, 09:29 PM   #21
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Google Forms - Beware!

There's a few tweets going around today, saying that Google have put out this form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...BKGeA/viewform

I've passed the details on to Google Workspace, to ask if this form is legitimate, and currently waiting for a response.

Update: The form was put out by Google. You have to be already logged into your Legacy account (only, not also a Gmail account) to see the link in this page for the 'G Suite legacy free edition feedback form':

https://support.google.com/a/answer/...e-subscription

Here's a link to a screencap, showing the (highlighted) link:

https://i.postimg.cc/xTCP4Yfh/link-for-google-form.jpg

The form (IMHO) doesn't look all that professional, with no Google branding shown, plus the form says:

Quote:
Please complete the following form if you have 10 seats or less
10 seats?

I presume that means users, but not a term I'm familiar with - that's why I questioned it's legitimacy.

Last edited by FredOnline : 27 Jan 2022 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Update:
Old 27 Jan 2022, 05:26 AM   #22
Folio

From the Google support page to which Fred linked -- under the question, What if I use my G Suite legacy free edition for personal use?

"...we understand some customers may not use their G Suite legacy free edition for business and may be interested in other options. If you have 10 or fewer users in your group and do not use your G Suite legacy free edition for business, please sign in to your administrator account to provide more information."

I wonder what the "other options" are.
Folio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2022, 08:49 PM   #23
TenFour
Master of the @

Lots of people upset about this over at ArsTechnica, and it is interesting to see how little that somewhat technical crowd knows about how email at your own domain works. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...free-accounts/
Old 28 Jan 2022, 08:58 PM   #24
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Lots of people upset about this over at ArsTechnica
Yeah, I had a read through some of the comments earlier on. Sometimes, comments can be more entertaining than the actual article!
Old 28 Jan 2022, 09:03 PM   #25
TenFour
Master of the @

If Google could come up with a way to migrate legacy free G Suite accounts to a low-cost domain-based email system and then also sell that product to the public I bet they would gain millions of subscribers, especially if they kept the price low and made setup idiot proof. They would have to include domain support via Google domains and include automatic DNS setup or else they would have millions of customer service headaches. But, I still think there is a huge opportunity for Google to sell super simple domain email at a reasonable subscription price.
Old 28 Jan 2022, 09:12 PM   #26
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
If Google could come up with a way to migrate legacy free G Suite accounts to a low-cost domain-based email system and then also sell that product to the public I bet they would gain millions of subscribers
I've noticed, on Twitter, that Fastmail have really gone to town advertising their product - not only the official channel, but also some personal employees channels too! It looks like they'll be scoring big on this.

Runbox? Not a peep from them on Twitter, they're really missing out.
Old 5 Feb 2022, 09:03 PM   #27
TenFour
Master of the @

I may be mistaken, but I believe Google has continued to update that support page with new information. For example, I don't recall seeing this before that explains the process for saving your Google Play Store purchases etc. Seems problematic to use a non-functioning email address to login to an account that may want to send things to that address, so be sure to change it as soon as possible! Doesn't impact me directly, but I have a few logins that will not change my email address no matter what, and since I have accumulated some value at those sites I am stuck keeping that old address working. https://support.google.com/a/answer/...ent-after-july
Quote:
In account suspension, you won't lose access to other Google services, including YouTube, Google Photos, and Google Play, nor paid content, including YouTube and Play Store purchases.

You'll also be able to sign in to your Google apps (such as YouTube) and third-party sites with your G Suite legacy edition email address. You won’t be able to receive or send email, including authenticating password resets via email. Without access to Gmail in the suspended state, we recommend you use a different email provider to send and receive email messages, including changing logins and authenticating new passwords.
There's also a statement that allows you to cancel the paid version of Workspace after awhile if you don't want to keep it. Just be sure to first remove any payment information from your account BEFORE you deactivate your Workspace account. For some reason if you just delete your Workspace without first turning off or removing payments you end up paying for a nonexistent account, and then since you cancelled the account you can't login or obtain help to cancel the payments.
Old 5 Feb 2022, 10:55 PM   #28
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

I was thinking I would shift my primary domain away from legacy G Suite as well as shift any data I want.
I will point my primary domain from my G Suite to an alternative email provider (ie Fastmail or other) so that I can maintain that email address that was my G Suite email address.

But I do have some purchases in G Suite that would be nice to retain access to.

If I shift my primary domain away from G Suite, how would I log in? Is it possible to remove a primary domain and still operate the G Suite?
Is there a default fall-back domain that I can use to access the Google Suite after removing the primary domain.

Anyone else worked this out yet?
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2022, 11:09 PM   #29
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I would assume the email address you use to login to GSuite will just be seen as a login name.
Old 6 Feb 2022, 12:06 AM   #30
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I would assume the email address you use to login to GSuite will just be seen as a login name.
Makes sense.
I guess if you need to reset your login password they can send a link to your backup email account.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote