EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Feb 2008, 05:31 AM   #1
tsphillips

How can signatures be appended to individual messages?

Hello.

I am a full Fastmail member.

I have created some signatures. My default setting is to have no signature appended to outgoing messages. I understand that I can associate a signature with a personality so that the signature will be appended to all outgoing messages from that personality.

I would like, however, to be able to append any signature to any message, regardless of the personality being used, so that I can, for example, include my street address or my telephone number in a signature in some, but not all, messages. Is this possible using the Fastmail web interface? If so, how?

The Fastmail FAQs refer to a signature popup menu, but I cannot see any such menu on my Compose screen. (The same applies also to various other menus / buttons that are referred to in the FAQs.)

Last edited by tsphillips : 5 Feb 2008 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Adding extra information
tsphillips is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Feb 2008, 05:59 AM   #2
sbiczach

Click on the "advanced"* screen option in the compose window.

You'll see a signature option below the subject line.

*it's on the right-hand side below the address book, spell check, save draft buttons.
sbiczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2008, 06:09 AM   #3
tsphillips

Thank you sbiczach.

Is it possible, using the web-mail interface, to modify a signature on an individual message - for example, if I have a signature that includes my telephone number and I want to modify it so as to include the international dialling code when I send a message to someone in another country?
Old 5 Feb 2008, 06:13 AM   #4
sbiczach

Absolutely, I do it all the time. It's a drop-down menu, and you can have as many signature options as you'd like on file.
sbiczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2008, 06:31 AM   #5
tsphillips

Thank you.

I see the drop-down menu and that it enables me to choose any of the signatures that I have already created using the options screen.

Is it possible to edit or customize a signature within the compose screen itself (as it is in my versions of Outlook Express and Mail)?
Old 5 Feb 2008, 07:14 AM   #6
Aimlink
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsphillips View Post
Thank you.

I see the drop-down menu and that it enables me to choose any of the signatures that I have already created using the options screen.

Is it possible to edit or customize a signature within the compose screen itself (as it is in my versions of Outlook Express and Mail)?
Not with 'true' signatures because they are added on sending the message.

However, a round about method has been suggested and it does work for some. You could use the 'notepad' feature and create notes that are actually your signatures. When you create each signature/note, be sure to toggle on the option 'Is a QuickNote?'.

When you've finished composing your message, you can now append your signature/note by selecting the signature from the 'notes' drop down menu (right lower corner of the compose screen), selecting 'Append', and then editing the signature as you wish.

To prevent a double signature, you'll have to select 'no signature' for the message or just not associate a signature with the personality that you're working with.
Aimlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2008, 02:36 PM   #7
tsphillips

Thank you curtis.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 07:27 PM   #8
Aimlink
Master of the @

Quote:
Thank you curtis.
... you're welcome. Glad to be of help now and then seeing that I get soooo much help from the 'master of the @'s and 'the 'e' in email' members here.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 05:49 AM   #9
tsphillips

When I reply to an e-mail I have received, my message appears first, then the original message, then my signature. Is it possible to make the signature appear immediately after my message, before the original message?
Old 8 Feb 2008, 06:20 AM   #10
Aimlink
Master of the @

Quote:
When I reply to an e-mail I have received, my message appears first, then the original message, then my signature. Is it possible to make the signature appear immediately after my message, before the original message?
Yes. When viewing the message, you need to switch to Advanced Screen. If you're not already in Advanced Screen mode, then look to the far right at the top and you'll see the link labelled Switch to Advanced Screen.

To the right of the Forward button, you'll see a drop down menu with the default option, Prefix >.
Just switch that option to Inline Orig and then hit Reply. The quote will appear below where you are expected to insert your reply, i.e., you'll get a top post (Outlook) type formatted reply. When you send, the signature will be auto-inserted below your text and not the quoted text.

Note that appending a Note always appends to the end of the text, which would be below the quotation, even in an Inline formatted reply.

Last edited by Aimlink : 8 Feb 2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 06:55 AM   #11
tsphillips

Thank you again Curtis.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 06:51 PM   #12
tsphillips

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis View Post
Yes. When viewing the message, you need to switch to Advanced Screen.
Sometimes I hit reply and start typing my reply before it occurs to me that I would like a signature immediately after my message, before the original. Is there a way to achieve this, without going back to the "View" screen?
Old 15 Jun 2008, 08:34 PM   #13
Aimlink
Master of the @

Quote:
Sometimes I hit reply and start typing my reply before it occurs to me that I would like a signature immediately after my message, before the original. Is there a way to achieve this, without going back to the "View" screen?
The only thing I can think of is to copy what you typed, exit the composition, return to the original message display and choose 'Inline Original' for the reply method; then finally, paste what you copied at the top.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 06:08 AM   #14
tsphillips

Signatures "Inline Orig" using the new user interface

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimlink View Post
Yes. When viewing the message, you need to switch to Advanced Screen. If you're not already in Advanced Screen mode, then look to the far right at the top and you'll see the link labelled Switch to Advanced Screen.

To the right of the Forward button, you'll see a drop down menu with the default option, Prefix >.
Just switch that option to Inline Orig and then hit Reply. The quote will appear below where you are expected to insert your reply, i.e., you'll get a top post (Outlook) type formatted reply. When you send, the signature will be auto-inserted below your text and not the quoted text.
How can the same result be achieved using the new user interface?

P.S. Belated thanks for your last message too, Curtis.
Old 4 Jul 2009, 05:36 AM   #15
tsphillips

I selected "Options" then "Account Preferences" then, under "Compose ... Signature for reply", "Before editing, above original". I saved my changes and appended a signature to a reply but the signature still appeared below (not above) the original message. Why?