EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Apr 2003, 12:25 PM   #1
GS400E

Red face Length of lines - lines getting shorter?..

when I look at the message I've just sent, I see that the amount of characters in the line is sometimes twice less than what was in the Compose screen.
The shortest line in my message was 24 characters (incl.spaces) Considering the fact I was trying to send my CV I am quite disappointed.
Thanks for any help.
GS400E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Apr 2003, 02:08 PM   #2
lux
The "e" in e-mail

Also it seems to be too smart. I indent the first line of the paragraph by 6 spaces. After sending the email, I discovered that every line in the paragraph has a 6 space indent, which is not what I want...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2003, 02:52 PM   #3
David
Ultimate Contributor

You are right lux. If you do a hard carriage return, it kills the indent. I use this to indent text, when I am replying to an email and inserting text at various locations inside that message. If I want to indent a paragraph I just put in a hard carriage return at the end of the first line. But I am sure you know this and am mentioning it only because I have not been able to figure out if it is a feature or a bug. I guess it depends on what you want --david
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2003, 03:04 PM   #4
Drencrom
Master of the @

Re: Length of lines - lines getting shorter?..

Quote:
Originally posted by GS400E
Considering the fact I was trying to send my CV I am quite disappointed.
You should have sent it as an attachment.

Welcome to the forum.
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2003, 03:17 PM   #5
GS400E

+ You should have sent it as an attachment.

Many recruiters do not like attachments and ask the CV to be in the body of the message.
So, as I understand, this is a permanent bug and there's no solution, right?

Last edited by GS400E : 25 Apr 2003 at 03:19 PM.
GS400E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2003, 03:21 PM   #6
Drencrom
Master of the @

Maybe HTML composition will solve this problem...
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2003, 04:38 PM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

According to Jeremy the lines should wrap at 72 characters: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...5610#post85610 --david
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2003, 06:29 PM   #8
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
The wrap is at 72 chars.

There is a 'feature' though that if you start a long line with an indent, then it wraps, but includes the indent on all subsequent lines.

Interestingly, I just had an email discussions with someone about this. I think I'm going to remove it, and just wrap to 72 chars with no funny business.

That way you can use the 'Format' action if you want some intelligent wraping, or just use 'Send' if you want the most super boring wraping.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2003, 06:42 PM   #9
petergh
Master of the @

Removing the indentation wrapping 'feature' would be OK in my opinion, but PLEASE keep the intelligent wrapping of quoted text in the default version! That's a lifesaver, if you ask me...
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2003, 06:56 PM   #10
norbs
Essential Contributor

wow, didn't know that there was any "intelligence" at all to the (just hit send) formatting- I assumed it just cropped each line to 72 characters...

The only exception that I think I can see to this is when you email a super long URL and then it doesnt chop it - a good thing IMHO.

Personally I find the "Format" do action incredibly useful in certain situations. Other times I am just after previewing what the email will look like to the recipient when i hit send. If the system is going to do the "chop to 72" is there room in the actions list for a "chop to 72 characters" action - just for fools like me who like to check before they send.
It might help to solve some of this
one
word on the next line craziness that we often see.

Maybe rename the current "Format" to "Intelligent Format" and have my suggestion as "Basic Format". Thoughts?
norbs is offline   Reply With Quote