EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Jun 2017, 11:29 AM   #1
ellentk
Essential Contributor

How to Save Sent Message to a Specific Folder?

How can I save an individual message to a specific folder in the new interface, and also set its priority (high, low, etc.)? I couldn't find the options that appear at the bottom of the classic compose screen in the new interface.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered in the 30-page "end of the classic interface" thread. I tried searching for it and none of my search terms brought up an answer.
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Jun 2017, 06:00 PM   #2
NJSS
Master of the @

This is a feature I use everyday in the Classic UI; I'll be interested in the answer as I can't find it.

For clarity we are talking about saving an email to specific folder in the new interface at the time of sending; not moving it later.

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2017, 01:56 AM   #3
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Yes, NJSS. That's exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 17 Jun 2017, 08:37 AM   #4
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellentk View Post
How can I save an individual message to a specific folder in the new interface,
The only way I know is to use a Personality as follows:
1) Setup a Personality and specify the particular folder to use for Sent Items for that Personality.
2) Compose or reply to an email.
3) In the 'From' dropdown menu, select the Personality that uses the folder you want to use for the sent items.
4) Send
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2017, 10:07 AM   #5
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Thanks. I use personalities that way sometimes, but occasionally I want to file a message in a particular folder because of the subject, not the address i used to send it.

How much time and effort is it to add that feature?
Old 17 Jun 2017, 10:21 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Thanks. I use personalities that way sometimes, but occasionally I want to file a message in a particular folder because of the subject, not the address i used to send it.

How much time and effort is it to add that feature?
I appreciate that setting up personalities for every Sent folder you sometimes use is pretty clunky. In practice, I have found it bearable. Do recognize that you can have any number of personalities for the same sending address. Where you only rarely need to use a Sent folder that is not in a personality, manually moving the message after sending is feasible.

Obviously, I do not know your own workflow. If you tend to us a separate folder for each correspondent (something I once did but moved away from) then personalities do not help much.

As to how much time and effort is involved in adding that feature, I am not sure, but suspect it is pretty messy. Indeed, it may be one of the reasons FastMail decided to discontinue the Classic interface. Filing to Sent folders using personalities just leverages the existing sieve support. Filing to a folder when you click Send for an individual message will need to use a completely different mechanism.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2017, 12:12 PM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
...Filing to Sent folders using personalities just leverages the existing sieve support. Filing to a folder when you click Send for an individual message will need to use a completely different mechanism.
I agree with everything BritTim said except the sieve comment. The current implementation only creates sieve code when you specify to Save a copy when sending through 3rd party email clients in the advanced preferences for a specific identity entry. Otherwise sieve is not used to file into folders, so it's done in a way which is hidden from us.

The best way I know to get everything you want is to go into the Settings>Mail>Folders setup screen and edit the folder you want to use. Change the Default identity to one which saves sent messages to that same folder. If you then use some method (such as a rule or a subdomain From identity or a target for a alias) to get incoming messages sent to that identity into that folder, all messages to and from that folder will be kept together automatically. I have used this technique for years and it works well.

With respect to your request for setting the message priority: On the beta system (beta.fastmail.com), Fastmail is starting to implement this in the user interface. But it's not doing anything to the sent messages yet. Fastmail promised to make a few changes to the current system which were on the classic system, and the changes which I can see so far in the beta user interface (but not really working yet) are:
  • Compose screen: New More button with these choices:
    • Make Plain Text / Make Rich Text (existing feature in current interface)
    • Mark as High Priority
    • Request Read Receipt
  • Main message listing screen: More button (replacing Mark button) with these choices:
    • Mark as Read (existing feature in current interface)
    • Mark as Unread (existing feature in current interface)
    • Pin (existing feature in current interface)
    • Unpin (existing feature in current interface)
    • Forward as Attachment (allows you to check multiple messages and forward them at one time)
Those are all the upcoming changes which appear to be shown on the beta system right now, as far as I can see. I don't know if other new features are also coming -- I will see if I can get anyone at Fastmail to tell me what is in the works.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2017, 01:57 PM   #8
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Thanks, Bill. Any hope for implementing Delete Permanently?
Old 17 Jun 2017, 03:01 PM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Thanks, Bill. Any hope for implementing Delete Permanently?
Ellen, you can permanently delete messages in two ways:
  • Normally deleted messages are moved to the Trash folder (so you can recover them if you made a mistake). While the Trash folder is open you will see a Delete Permanently button at the top. You can use that button in two ways:
    • When reading a conversation, you can use the Delete Permanently button. All messages in that conversation will be permanently deleted (if you have conversation grouping activated).
    • When viewing the list of messages in the Trash folder, you can use the checkboxes at the left edge of each message to select one or more messages. Then click Delete Permanently and those messages will be permanently deleted.
  • The % key (shift-5) will permanently delete selected messages or conversations from any folder:
    • When reading a message or conversation in any folder, you can use the % keyboard shortcut. All messages in that conversation will be permanently deleted (if you have conversation grouping activated).
    • When viewing the list of messages in any folder, you can use the checkboxes at the left edge of each message to select one or more messages. Then use the % keyboard shortcut and those messages will be permanently deleted.
You can see a list of all keyboard shortcuts here:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/kbshortcuts.html

Bill
Old 17 Jun 2017, 03:06 PM   #10
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Thanks, Bill. This is very helpful. Any shortcuts for iOS?
Old 17 Jun 2017, 03:49 PM   #11
NJSS
Master of the @

Thanks everyone

I already use multiple personalities where relevant. However this does not work where this is not relevant, say correspondence with family, friends, neighbours, professional advisors etc.. where I use my "personal" email address, but wish to file the emails in specific subject related folders

The Classic interface worked perfectly this this respect for me, could this part of its code not be incorporated in the new UI ?

Bill: thanks for your comments regarding the beta system & priority & acknowledgement of emails. These are important for me, and I use them almost daily.

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2017, 05:28 PM   #12
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Thanks, Bill. This is very helpful. Any shortcuts for iOS?
The shortcuts work as long as you have a keyboard (Bluetooth keyboard or smart cover keyboard for iPod Pro). You can't use the on-screen keyboard because there is no way to activate it where it's needed.

Bill