EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Oct 2021, 03:20 PM   #31
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Many years ago one of FastMail's C*Os (there were two people at FastMail back then: Jeremey Howard and Rob Mueller, so it must have been one of them) explained here in the forum why there's no need for FastMail to prevent this scenario, that is to restrict what's on the From header (and envelope header. The reason given was that anyone can send as janitor#company.com from practically anywhere, usiong an email client or telnet to port 26 at company.com's MX server).
15 years ago, even 10 years ago, this was a legitimate argument. At the time, commonly adopted standards had no protection against email spoofing. The adoption by most serious email services of standards like DMARC has altered the equation. Just firing up an SMTP client from a random PC and firing off spam to a company MX server will rarely work today. However, large email services, like Gmail and Fastmail, should still verify sending identities in many situations as it is very possible that email from Fastmail is permissible, but only from one or more specific accounts (something DMARC cannot validate).
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2021, 03:26 PM   #32
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
The third identity I have that for some unknown reason requires verification is in my own domain, hosted by Fastmail (both DNS and MX), is not a wildcard identity, just a simple email address, and that address is defined as an alias in my account. the alias is bounce@mydomain.tld and it targets bounce+bounce@hadaso.net (it was a scheme that effectively bounced all mail to that address, and to *@bounce.mydomain.tld) before the checkbox to disable delivery to an alias was introduced. As it is a legitimate alias in FastMail, not even set to reject email, I wonder why verification is required for it.
I agree that the required verification is strange. On the other hand, it would not be difficult to successfully complete verification by temporarily changing the domain alias destination, verifying, and then resetting the destination. In your situation, I might consider raising a support ticket.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2021, 11:28 PM   #33
NJSS
Master of the @

I have a large number of identities.

I have verified half a dozen so far today. Some verification codes come through instantaneously but some have taken up to 10 minutes.

I haven't received verification codes for some email addresses which I know work, and after 20 minutes or more requested a couple be resent with this result:-

"Sorry, youʼve requested too many verification codes recently without success. Please wait 24 hours before trying again".

I can't even enter the verification codes which have come through since the above message!

I am a long standing, and very frustrated FM (& pobox.com) customer. FM need to sort this out WITHOUT delay.

I am of course raising a ticket for this.

NJSS

Ticket ID: 1474747

Last edited by NJSS : 20 Oct 2021 at 11:41 PM. Reason: To add ticket ID
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2021, 12:37 AM   #34
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSS View Post
I haven't received verification codes for some email addresses which I know work, and after 20 minutes or more requested a couple be resent with this result:-

"Sorry, youʼve requested too many verification codes recently without success. Please wait 24 hours before trying again".

I can't even enter the verification codes which have come through since the above message!
It makes no sense (to me) that FM would refuse to send verification codes when it's them that's insisting you verify the addresses, unless they have reason to think the codes are not getting through (eg being returned undeliverable - and if that's the case waiting 24h won't help). I wonder, if they are returned undeliverable if their system would tell you that? Otherwise, if they think there's a need to throttle them, surely five-ten minutes delay would be adequate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSS View Post
I am of course raising a ticket for this.
Good. Let us know what they say. (I don't expect we can see the contents of your ticket; I'd be appalled if we could.)
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote