EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 May 2010, 03:19 AM   #1
spiderman
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Lightbulb New version of FastCheck - version 2.1.0.0

Hi all,

I have just released version 2.1.0.0.
This fixes the infamous crash on some machines.
This was actually linked to a bug being triggered by 16-bit displays (65536 colours instead of millions of colours).

The default theme is now light blue - it should be a bit easier on the eyes.

You can download FastCheck from here.

Thanks to kworth for helping me find the bug.

For those who don't know, or who haven't used FastCheck in the past, FastCheck gives you instant notification when you receive emails in your FastMail folder(s). FastCheck can also set FastMail as your default "mailto" handler, and send SMSs (you need to purchase FastMail SMS credits).

FastCheck is independent and not affiliated with FastMail.FM or Opera: it is written by a FastMail user, for FastMail users!

Eric

Last edited by spiderman : 3 May 2010 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 May 2010, 04:28 AM   #2
DianeB

Eric,

During all this turmoil going on, I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for giving us FastCheck. I've been using it since shortly after joining FM in 2003 & would be lost without it.

~Diane
*headed back to lurking mode again.
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2010, 04:47 AM   #3
Sherry

Hi Eric,

I did download it but am concerned about the new colors. I love the fact the one I'm using now is kinda brownish and goldish. I get so tierd of so many web things being blue. So my question is, if I use this new version is there a way to keep the colors I have now with it??? I looked through the Options and don't see any place that let me choose the colors (skin/theme) it has now.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2010, 06:14 AM   #4
spiderman

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Hi Eric,

I did download it but am concerned about the new colors. I love the fact the one I'm using now is kinda brownish and goldish. I get so tierd of so many web things being blue. So my question is, if I use this new version is there a way to keep the colors I have now with it??? I looked through the Options and don't see any place that let me choose the colors (skin/theme) it has now.

Sherry
Of course there is . I'll have to document this properly, but in the meantime, you can create a file called theme.ini and store it in the same folder as FastCheck.exe in order to change the colors.
This will restore the original colors:
Code:
[Configuration]
Name		= Legacy
BkColorTop	= #f1df89
BkColorBottom	= #e2c294
HlColorTop	= #f0e6d1
HlColorBottom	= #a0966a
FontColor       = #000000
HlFontColor     = #000000
InvalidFontColor= #ff0000
TreeLineColor   = #aca899
Old 3 May 2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Sherry

Thanks a lot! It did keep the colors I like however not using the theme it still had the brownish/black top I like and the "light" blue wasn't bad at all. It's sure great to have he choice. Now I can play around with the colors and maybe make my own theme? To make the choices in the drop-down in Options I'm guessing I would, in the same file, do a new [Configuration] (below the one that's there) with a different Name = NewName then I'd have the choice to load Legacy or NewName?

Sherry
Old 3 May 2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Mugwhamp

Ditto, spiderman, on providing me with a valuable service that I use EVERY day. Much thanks!
Mugwhamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2010, 12:02 AM   #7
Tom Gallagher

Thanks Eric.
Tom Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2010, 12:55 AM   #8
Tom Gallagher

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to download the new version.???
Old 4 May 2010, 12:59 AM   #9
spiderman

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Tom: what problem are you experiencing? The direct URL is http://www.fastcheck.org/download/FCInst_2_1_0_0.exe

Sherry: The theme support is very basic at the moment - you can only specify 1 theme. To change the theme, you need to change the theme.ini file and restart FC. In a next version I'll improve the theming, with a list of available themes, and the possibility to change without restarting. At the moment, this is really a first implementation. As you can see, the "theme" option page is pretty empty...

Eric
Old 4 May 2010, 01:05 AM   #10
Tom Gallagher

Eric, I get a pop up that says Abort Retry or Ignore. I hit Ignore and it reloads the last version and asks if I want the new version and round and round I go.

Last edited by Tom Gallagher : 4 May 2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 4 May 2010, 03:35 AM   #11
Tom Gallagher

Eric, I worked it out. Thanks a lot.
Old 4 May 2010, 04:43 AM   #12
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Sherry: The theme support is very basic at the moment - you can only specify 1 theme. To change the theme, you need to change the theme.ini file and restart FC. In a next version I'll improve the theming, with a list of available themes, and the possibility to change without restarting. At the moment, this is really a first implementation. As you can see, the "theme" option page is pretty empty...
No problem. Glad it's a possibility in the future. Hope I'm not bugging you with these questions but I do have one more. Is the Name ... "Legacy" changeable now so I could name one green another pink etc and see that in the Options (I know I would only still see one at a time in there) or should I name them all Legacy? I'm going to make different files then when tired of one color after a month or so I just change the file in use. (just something fun to do to get away from the tedious things needing done )

Sherry
Old 4 May 2010, 06:52 AM   #13
spiderman

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Yes, you can write anything instead of "legacy". It's only used for display in the option dialog box really. In the future, there'll be a nice theme browser...
Old 4 May 2010, 08:00 AM   #14
Sherry

Great

And "Thank You" for a fantabulous (fantastic and fabulous) program. I still love using it after all these years.

Sherry
Old 4 May 2010, 09:22 AM   #15
beq

I read that Neil will now be working for Opera full-time. I imagine they probably also appreciate your work, Eric
beq is offline   Reply With Quote