EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 26 Jul 2017, 01:25 AM   #1
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Keep the old stuff which works

Sort of related to discussions/arguments/quarrels about developing new interfaces (Fastmail, Runbox &c) vs keeping old ones forever...
Quote:
Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint. Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store. Its successor, Paint 3D, will be part of the Windows 10 package.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40714395
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Jul 2017, 01:49 AM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Personally, I always found using PAINT a bit of a chore.

Won't be missed by me!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2017, 06:38 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

The funny thing with computers/software is that I personally have not seen much change in productivity since about 2004 or so when Gmail was introduced. Sure, there are nice tweaks and features here and there, but overall in a business or home office environment we do things pretty much the same way we did everything back then, and in some cases not as easily or swiftly. I miss the old versions of programs like Microsoft Word that were easier to use. Walk into most offices almost anywhere and people are sitting in front of desktops, or sometimes laptops hooked up to big monitors and full-sized keyboards, using MS Office for 90% of their work, or in some cases specialized programs that have been around for a decade at least. Yes, there are many exceptions, but the general pattern remains the same. Probably the biggest change is the use of smartphones for communications when on the go, but in the office it is still hard-wired phones, desktops, and Office.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2017, 07:33 AM   #4
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I miss the old versions of programs like Microsoft Word that were easier to use.
I actually like the new version. However, apart from moving the buttons around, the basic program does not seem to have been updated much over the years. All the same bugs or quirks remain. eg. Pasting in some text from another document often renders it in a font not found in the document it was copied from or the document it is being pasted into.

In addition, browsers and mail clients seem to get more and more features removed from them with every new version.

I agree with the smart phone thing, however there are far too many ways of doing what is essentially the same thing. eg. For sending text and photos you have text messaging, email, WhatsApp and I believe you can do a similar thing with Facebook but I've no idea how (and I don't want to know).
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2017, 07:42 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I agree with the smart phone thing, however there are far too many ways of doing what is essentially the same thing. eg. For sending text and photos you have text messaging, email, WhatsApp and I believe you can do a similar thing with Facebook but I've no idea how (and I don't want to know).
And, making a phone call is much worse compared to the "good ol' days" when we had nothing but landlines, but a call was as clear as Ma Bell and there was never a lag after you dialed, and the little tape on the answering machine just worked forever and ever.

Sure, there is text messaging, which is different, but I'm not sure it merits being called an "advance" since it basically replaces voicemails and phone calls.

By the way, many have called email outmoded and fuddy duddy, but I still love it for its versatility, reliability, clarity, and universality. It is great to be able to send a message to anyone, anywhere, and know that it will get there and the message will be clear. All with virtually no effort.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2017, 02:37 AM   #6
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I still use Paint and other "old" programs such as Notebloc very often. It still does the trick for me and fulfills my needs :-)

However, are you sure Paint will indeed be kept alive? A Belgian newspaper stated the contrary, or at least stated it would no longer be supported.
That said, if the source is BBC, my intuition tells me it's more likely to be true than the Belgian paper.

I hope Paint will remain, I would seriously miss it if it were gone.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2017, 04:23 PM   #7
MagnumOpus

Quote:
Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.
Unfortunately, Paint restricts image scaling to percentages. Offering pixels as an option would have been much nicer.

Quote:
I miss the old versions of programs like Microsoft Word that were easier to use.
SoftMaker Office has an interface similar to Office 97, reads and writes to newer MS file formats, and is much lighter.

Quote:
and the little tape on the answering machine just worked forever and ever
And in some cases, the machine itself, too. Mine turns 27 this year.
MagnumOpus is offline   Reply With Quote