EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Sep 2020, 08:02 PM   #1
samajkapoor

FastMail Personalities & Mozilla Mail...

apologies if this has already been covered, but after hours of searching I was not able to find the answer to my question.

Basically, I have setup a "Guest" account in FastMail. In the options, I was able to create "Personalities" - it provides the ability to send mail from FastMail but under a different e-mail address. I am able to do this now in Mozilla Mail as I have two POP3 accounts - when I compose a message, I can select which e-mail address I wish to send it from.

My goal is to have FastMail as my default e-mail service and have my two POP3 accounts go to FastMail. I have all this setup at the FastMail site and it is working great. But, if I am using Mozilla Mail, I am not able to select other "Personalities" as I can on the web site. I would like to be able to do this from either place as I do a lot of offline responses.

I am seeking the advice/help from other Mozilla Suite / FastMail users as I was led to believe this was possible over at the FastMail forum. But, they weren't clear how to do it. I get the impression that I am suppose to create different Profiles, but that defeats what I am trying to achieve.

If I need to use the web interface as my main e-mail client and later sync it with Mozilla Mail, that is okay. My hope is that I can use either one and have the same options as far as "Personalities" go.

I hope this all makes sense. I am on a strong medication for my back and I have found that what I type and what I think I typed are two different things. ops:

Thank you for your time and assistance - IMAP is new to me and I figure I am stuck in a POP3 mode of thinking. expressvpn black friday

Last edited by samajkapoor : 1 Oct 2020 at 12:48 AM.
samajkapoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Sep 2020, 10:34 PM   #2
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

I'm guessing that when you talk about the Mozilla Suite, you actually are referring to Seamonkey? Unfortunately, it's been a few years since I've had a version of Seamonkey installed and available to test, so what I'm about the say may be completely wrong. But to the best of my recollection ...

I think that what you need to do is set up "dummy accounts" in your Seamonkey/Mozilla Mail -- one for each of your personalities. The dummy accounts have all the information of a "real" account, but you set them so that they do not automatically check for mail. That way those accounts will essentially sit there inactive, but you will be able to select the address/personality you want at the time you compose and send a message. Assuming you're sending out your mail through the Fastmail SMTP servers, a copy of each sent message should then be in your Mozilla Mail and in your Fastmail Sent folder.

As I said, this is all from memory, and I haven't used Seamonkey in a long time, so take it with a grain of salt. But I do remember the days when I was using POP 3. Back then, setting up dummy accounts was the solution to the personality problem in a variety of different e-mail clients, so I hope it works for you too.

One last thing: I think you'll ultimately be a lot happier if you migrate to IMAP, use a solid e-mail client like Thunderbird, or both.
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2020, 12:38 PM   #3
emoore
Essential Contributor

Thunderbird supports creating "multiple identities" for each account. This can be as simple as using a different From: address, to also modifying any/all of the accounts settings and using them whenever using that From: address. A couple of versions ago they added some enhancements so that you can enter a custom From: address on the fly when composing a message, without having to pre-configure it. Before that was added you needed to use an add-on to do that.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_i...e-mail_account was written for Thunderbird but the bulk of it probably applies to SeaMonkey too. That KB article hasn't been updated for version 60 yet. Thunderbird is currently on version 78.3.1

If you're using SeaMonkey you can ask for help using it at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=40 . If you're using Thunderbird you can ask for help using it at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=39
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote