EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 16 Apr 2024, 01:48 AM   #1
DougLass

e-mail validity checkers?

So I get hard bounces from a couple of e-mail addresses. I run these addresses through several commercial free e-mail testers, and I get back that they are valid. In fact, I KNOW they are not valid. These folks have just left the company or retired. Do these testers use some list that is not frequently updated?
DougLass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Apr 2024, 01:55 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

There are a range of different techniques used to check that an email is likely to be delivered. Some just look at the format of the message you are sending, including SPF, DKIM, DMARC, etc. These techniques don't actually check the target delivery address.

Tools can also check the delivery domain, DNS records, and delivery MX server. These insure that there is actually a server which can be reached which accepts email for that domain.

A more extensive test can start a SMTP session with the delivery MX server using the target email address, then stop this process before an actual email is transferred. This can check that the recipient address is actually accepted at the destination.

But the destination system can choose to reject the email later during the SMTP connection stage (due to the sending server used, the source email address, the destination email address, or other criteria designed to delay acceptance of the message, since spam sending servers often give up if the initial connection is rejected).

In some cases the message might be initially accepted, then a non-delivery message is sent back to the sender. You can't fully test in that case until you actually complete sending of a full message which isn't blocked by a spam filter. I think that the testers you have tried only check the low-hanging fruit.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2024, 01:36 AM   #3
DougLass

Thank you. Can you point me to a service that actually tries to connect with the destination server? If that destination server rejects it, so be it. But at least I know what's going on. Services that just check my own e-mail, to make sure it is compliant, are NOT checking someone else's e-mail.
DougLass is offline   Reply With Quote