EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 18 Oct 2022, 12:30 PM   #1
artman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Lenexa, KS (Kansas City metro)
Posts: 8
How Do I Remove Myself From A Blacklist?

I am using the current version of Thunderbird. My email address is a gmail.com email.

I have discovered that I am on a blacklist called SORBS. Sometimes my email goes the the SPAM folder of the person receiving my email message and I am told that the incoming mail server may see the blacklist and send my email to the recipient's SPAM folder.

I have no idea how I got on the blacklist as i am not a marketing or email company that sends marketing emails.

Can someone please tell me how a person gets onto a blacklist and how I can be removed.

Thanks very much for your help. Bill
artman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Oct 2022, 02:21 PM   #2
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rupert, WV
Posts: 833
You can see here, it may be useful - (De)Listing Overview.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2022, 08:03 PM   #3
Bamb0
Master of the @
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,697
They have a pretty nice looking site there

Welcome ashore Artman!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2022, 11:32 PM   #4
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by artman View Post
My email address is a gmail.com email.

I have discovered that I am on a blacklist called SORBS.
What makes you think that that is why your mail is ending up in spam folders? It sounds unlikely. What exactly is listed?
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2022, 12:28 AM   #5
artman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Lenexa, KS (Kansas City metro)
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
What makes you think that that is why your mail is ending up in spam folders? It sounds unlikely. What exactly is listed?
I read a couple of Internet articles that said the incoming mail servers, etc. look at an email and determine if the message is on a blacklist. If it is many times the mail server will send the message directly to the Spam folder or sometimes not deliver the message at all.

I found a website called mail-tester.com. You bring up the website and they give an email address to send your email to. After you send the email you click on the test results button and it gives you 10 items that it rates your email message according to if your message is a spam candidate.

When I send my email message to mail-tester.com it is giving me a score of 7.2 out of 10. It is counting a full point off because it says I am on the blacklist called SORBS.

As I said in my post I am not a company (marketing) but an individual person sending an email.

I think the mail-tester.com site is pretty good.

Thanks, SlideshowBob
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2022, 05:59 AM   #6
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by artman View Post
When I send my email message to mail-tester.com it is giving me a score of 7.2 out of 10. It is counting a full point off because it says I am on the blacklist called SORBS
The link given earlier to details about SORBS shows that they blacklist for a variety of different reasons. I would have thought that recipients of your mails would be able to see - in those mails' headers - the reason that SORBS had not liked your emails.

Does the mail-tester website also show the specific reason for the SORBS blacklist?


Quote:
Originally Posted by artman View Post
As I said in my post I am not a company (marketing) but an individual person sending an email.
That may be so, but is not necessarily very relevant. What possibly matters a lot more is where it is being sent from. The problem might eg be the IP address of your device when it sends the mail to the email server that then sends the mail onwards, or the problem might be the IP address of the server that sends the mail onwards.

In the first case it's likely that the IP address your device has now has been used in the past by someone else, who sent spam. Note that the IP address that the outside world sees as yours might be shared with many other people; if you're on a LAN or a wifi network, it's the IP address of the whole network that represents all of you to the outside world. So if any of the other people using that have sent spam at any point in the past, that whole network's users would see this problem.

In the second case, whether the block gets lifted probably depends on who that server belongs to - if it's a reputable email company then they will probably have had complaints from many of their users and will do something about it (not least finding out which other of their users sent spams that got the server blacklisted)


It would help to know which mail service is sending your mails.

Last edited by JeremyNicoll : 19 Oct 2022 at 06:06 AM.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2022, 06:05 AM   #7
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rupert, WV
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
It would help to know which mail service is sending your mails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artman View Post
My email address is a gmail.com email.
I would assume Gmail be the answer.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2022, 06:59 AM   #8
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 239
Post

I just sent a test message to mail-tester.com from gmail. The gmail outgoing server was listed on SORBS. If you saw the SORBS listing in the bottom part of the mail-tester results, under Blocklists, then that's what happened.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2022, 08:01 AM   #9
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
I would assume Gmail be the answer.

- Bruce
I saw what the OP wrote, but did not want to assume something that might not have been the case, which is why I asked.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2022, 08:35 PM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,438
By any chance is the receiving email address managed by a Microsoft service like Exchange or Outlook.com? I have found that Microsoft routinely funnels all sorts of legitimate email into the Junk folder and it is nearly impossible to prevent it. If you use Microsoft for your email be sure to check the Junk folder every day.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2022, 03:26 AM   #11
TenFour
Master of the @
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,438
I just tested a Gmail address at mail-tester and the overall score was a 9/10, but I am listed in a blacklist at SORBS. Unfortunately, many Gmail IPs get listed on SORBS. If you are sending direct from the Gmail web interface or the Gmail app there is probably not much you can do about it. It would be up to Gmail to follow up, which I imagine they have to do regularly with lots of spammers using gmail addresses. However, your message is a bit lower scored on mail-tester. I am only getting 1 point off for SORBS. Is anything else listed to knock off the additional 1.8 points when you run mail-tester?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2022, 12:44 AM   #12
jarland
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 375

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Sorbs listings won't cause spam folder delivery anywhere I'm aware of, I would move on to the next idea. Most writers on this topic make a lot of assumptions that they can't verify. It makes studying things like this very difficult, it's a very strange topic in that way.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2022, 04:06 AM   #13
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Irving, Texas
Posts: 8,800
Bill, you say that your have a gmail.com email address but that you are using an email client (Thunderbird) rather than web-based email. I hope you realize that due to DMARC and other authentication features, you must use the gmail SMTP outgoing email server to send from an email client. Without viewing the full headers of the messages arriving in spam folders itís hard to guess whatís causing your difficulty.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 06:50 PM.

 

Copyright EmailDiscussions.com 1998-2022. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy