EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 13 Mar 2020, 05:55 PM   #1
Prognathous
Master of the @

Will the Android app ever support right-to-left languages (e.g. Hebrew and Arabic)?

The app supports Unicode characters, but the paragraph direction is left-to-right and the text is left-aligned. Will this ever be fixed?

To understand the issue, this is how the Fastmail app handles typing Hebrew text (left aligned, punctuation on the wrong side), and this is how the Gmail app does it (correctly).

BTW, I've been using Fastmail since 2002 and over the years convinced many friends and family member to become paying Fastmail customers. Most of them later switched to Gmail. One of the main reasons they mentioned was the lack of proper support for Hebrew in the Android app.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:30 AM   #2
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous View Post
To understand the issue, this is how the Fastmail app handles typing Hebrew text (left aligned, punctuation on the wrong side), and this is how the Gmail app does it (correctly).
One more vote for fixing this issue...
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2020, 08:16 AM   #3
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Lack of reasonable interface for the compose screen in the mobile app is the main reason I use it very little to send email: if it's not half a sentence or less it's not doable on the phone (a full sentence requires punctuation at the end). This is quite annoying because I do use the mobile app for reading mail, and I have to postpone replies until get to some computer that can handle paragraphs.

It's not that the mobile app does not support composition in html: it composes in html, and it's possible for instance to apply boldface or italicise or quote a paragraph using keyboard shortcuts (I can enter ctrl+letter combinations using hacker's keyboard, though it doesn't work with ctrl+shift+digit). keyboard shortcuts for right alignment and for switching between RTL and LTR would be enough (actually what may be best for me is to just be able to directly edit the html source. I do it sometimes when I compose using the desktop browsers capability to alter the page's source code).

I asked Fastmail support about this issue about 3 years ago and this was their reply:

Quote:
This is a known issue and is mainly due to the limitation of mobile browsers. They currently don't support proper rich text editing and hence thats broken on mobile browsers.

We have plans to have a native compose widget in the mobile app in the future. However, we currently don't have a timeline on this now, sorry.

So, for rich text editing, at the moment, the only option would be:

1. To use a 3rd party email client that supports rich text editing and configure your fastmail account as an IMAP/SMTP account on it.

or

2. You would need to use a full browser on a desktop or laptop to compose rich text content.
And while we're at it, I wonder if any of you know how to get a keyboard app for the android phone that supports the SI 1452 Hebrew keyboard (or at least a keyboard that allows typing LRM and RLM charcters, and perhaps some more characters such as a Hebrew hyphen)?
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote