EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Mar 2017, 01:08 AM   #286
curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimalist View Post
It is kind of sad to say goodbye to fastmail, especially with a small investment ending up with a thousand dollar headache of changing email addresses.

But there is a good ending: finally doing the right thing and getting a personal domain. And doing that is much easier today than in 2001, and I also know that I don't want mylastname.com which is what I would have purchased then. So instead of mylastname@fastmail.fm, I will get the preferable shortasiwant@mychoiceofdomain.mychoiceoftld.

After getting a personal domain, you need to be able to get email. As far as I know there are (at least) three options:

1) Run your own mail server. This is another thousand dollar headache, no thanks for a user that only needs basic email services and expects no privacy in email communication. Using one of the free big providers as a backend is fine for me.

2) Use an email provider that allows personal domains. There are a few that will do this for free(currently at least Zoho and Yandex), and probably always will be. You might have to change providers from time to time to keep free(beyond domain purchase) service. This also requires a little bit of playing with your domain records.

3) Have email forwarded automatically to another email address. This is easy to do when purchasing a domain from Google Domains for example. Any free backend for another email address to forward to will be fine here, and there will always be plenty of those.

A .com, .net, .biz, .org, or .info domain costs $12/year with free private registration and email forwarding for 100 users to any email address. So with 3 friends the new cost will be $3/year with a (hopefully more chance this time) lifetime email address.
Yep, should have done this ages ago. Thought it would be difficult, but it was incredibly easy.

First, found a low cost domain seller in namesilo - outstanding prices, free WHOIS privacy, two factor authentication, templates to change DNS records to work with common sites and services, ALL of the parking revenue goes to the domain owner, and much more.

There are a couple of traps. Some of the registrars of the new TLDs designate anything interesting as "premium," and not only charge a lot for it (from 5000 USD to over 20000 USD for some name that I looked at), they won't commit to renewal prices, so at some point in the future, they could just say "gee, your web site traffic has gone up a lot over the last year. Your new renewal fee is 1000 USD per year." So I only considered domains I could register right now for ten years, and eventually settled on a relatively short .work domain for just over 60 USD for ten years.

For the actual e-mail hosting, Migadu is perfect for me. I need to receive a lot of notifications ("your order has shipped," "your statement is ready," "practice has been canceled"), but I probably send less than one e-mail a week (I actually don't like e-mail very much), so the sending limits on the free account won't affect me at all.

Anyway, I managed to set up the whole thing in about ten minutes, and all that remains now is the arduous task of logging into all of my accounts that I use my fastmail address for (well over a hundred), and updating them to the new domain.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2017, 12:07 PM   #287
thisisnotgood

Three words..

Indian giver jerks...

Only a fool would trust them, as when the time comes when it's uneconomical for them they will just raise the price to whatever THEY want. Best advice, cut your losses while your are ahead and move on...
thisisnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2017, 12:53 PM   #288
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Try this...http://userexp.net/migadu.ch.html
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2017, 09:28 PM   #289
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotgood View Post
Indian giver jerks...
Wow.... that's not racist in the least...

Please try to be civil.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2017, 12:56 AM   #290
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotgood
Indian giver jerks...

Only a fool would trust them, as when the time comes when it's uneconomical for them they will just raise the price to whatever THEY want. Best advice, cut your losses while your are ahead and move on...
That seems to be the way of things now doesnt it??

Not enough of us who care........
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2017, 09:52 AM   #291
Ran

Hm. Very odd choice here. The pricing for 3 years at 50% off is a pretty nice deal for hosting my own domains, I think, and I like Fastmail's interface.

But if I understood the earlier parts of the thread correctly, people are saying they have the right to just take my money and stop service at any time... why on earth would I give them my money, then? I'd go with a company that won't do that.

Ah well. Mine was free and I've used it less and less over the years, probably time to let it go. I do feel for the people who are upset they paid lifetime and are losing their email, though.
Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2017, 09:58 AM   #292
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran View Post
Hm. Very odd choice here. The pricing for 3 years at 50% off is a pretty nice deal for hosting my own domains, I think, and I like Fastmail's interface.

But if I understood the earlier parts of the thread correctly, people are saying they have the right to just take my money and stop service at any time... why on earth would I give them my money, then? I'd go with a company that won't do that.

Ah well. Mine was free and I've used it less and less over the years, probably time to let it go. I do feel for the people who are upset they paid lifetime and are losing their email, though.
I don't think you understand correctly. If you pay for an enhanced account, they're not going to take your money and run. People are upset about spending 15 ten years ago... But... Fastmail offered to refund the money, I believe. Regardless, most of them got their money worth... But I doubt they'd agree.

Btw, if any company goes bankrupt, your money is gone... Barring that, it seems fastmail has dealt well with it's userbase. I don't seeing them go bankrupt​ any time soon. I've been an enhanced customer ($40/yr?) since about 2002. I have very few complaints. I've always prepaid 3 years at a time.

Lots of emotionalism in this thread.

Fastmail is still an awesome company.
Old 7 Apr 2017, 10:49 PM   #293
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
I've always prepaid 3 years at a time.
Fastmail is still an awesome company.
I always prepay for 3+ years if I can.. I was short on $ when I recently upgraded from 5 years Lite (Legacy Account) to a 1 year of Basic..
I will upgrade again to a 3 year basic plan ASAP lol ^_^
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2017, 11:27 AM   #294
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran

Thank you for your entry...... Its nice seeing your first post here on EMD

Last edited by Bamb0 : 8 Apr 2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 07:49 AM   #295
iamcroker

Definitely a bit of a dick move by FM but I understand it's ultimately up to them.

I do completely understand dumping the guest accounts, never expected those to last forever. But I'm surprised about the elimination of member accounts.

I have a few guest, few member (grabbed a few when they mentioned them as the "last chance" to have them in late 2008), and I do have a couple pay/subscription accounts. I'll probably phase out of all of them eventually. I do like the speed and reliability of FM but I really don't need them any more as there are lots of other possibilities that should work for me. Some options I learned about in this thread actually and may give them a try.

Just a bummer overall though.
iamcroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2017, 10:06 AM   #296
Bamb0
Master of the @

Yes it is!!!

Welcome to EMD
Old 13 Apr 2017, 10:08 AM   #297
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcroker View Post
Definitely a bit of a d**k move by FM but I understand it's ultimately up to them.
Strength does not need profanity - Dostoevsky
Old 13 Apr 2017, 01:58 PM   #298
iamcroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Strength does not need profanity - Dostoevsky
My bad, chilly emotions got the best of me. Imagine it saying "dork move" instead, which I should have written.

I do appreciate the comments in the thread, especially regarding using your own domain with an email service. I'm just not so sure what service to go with.
iamcroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2017, 03:14 PM   #299
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Welcome to the EMD Forums!
You have the ability with this forum software to edit your previous posts before a forum admin beats you to it.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2017, 01:10 AM   #300
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcroker View Post
I do appreciate the comments in the thread, especially regarding using your own domain with an email service. I'm just not so sure what service to go with.
Well, emotions aside, I still think FastMail is one of the best services out there if you're willing to pay for a service at all. Google and Microsoft are other options that will cost you about the same, although depending on what other services you might want to use, you might arguably get more bang for your buck.

You won't find too many free services that will let you host your own domain — the only somewhat reputable one I personally know of is Zoho Mail, although I have no direct experience with them.

Of course, there's also the alternative of using a hosting provider that will simply forward your e-mail to a free e-mail service like Gmail, but that can be more complicated to deal with for a number of reasons.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote