EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 14 Jul 2023, 03:25 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
How long does Gmail store the date of last sign-in?

Normally Gmail stores the date of last sign-in for 30 days at least, if you scroll down after signing in the date of last sign-in is in the bottom right corner. Normally it stores that for at least 30 days.

However, today when I signed in (having returned from holiday and not accessed my account for exactly 30 days) the date of last sign-in was not indicated anymore. I am confused ; has Gmail changed that policy? How long do they keep the date of last sign-in visable?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Jul 2023, 04:54 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

It appears to me that Google has removed Gmail history from Google activity (at https://myactivity.google.com). I can see all other history for Google services (Chrome, YouTube, etc), but Gmail is no longer in the list.

On my iPad (either using the Gmail app or a web login using Chrome browser) I can’t see any of the buttons or tabs suggested by Google help to find the history. They seem to have just vanished. I consider this a big security failure.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2023, 08:39 PM   #3
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
That sounds worrying.

By the way, when do you go to myactivity.google.com? After signing in to Gmail in the browser? Usually the date of your last sign-in is shown in the bottom left corner when you scroll down right after signing in to Gmail. If you click on it it also shows the IP address of the last sign-in. But yesterday when I signed in after 30 days, I saw nothing indicated: no date of last sign-in, no IP... Nothing.

If Gmail would indeed no longer indicate the date of last sign-in, that'd be worrying. A notification of previous sign-in is one of my "must have"s when I choose an email service.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2023, 08:40 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Using Gmail on the web when I go to the lower right corner of my Inbox I see "Last account activity." I can also click on "Details" to get a list of all recent activity.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2023, 01:47 PM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Look at the end of the message list after scrolling down

AH! The "Last account activity" information is only visible from a PC browser window at the bottom of the message list -- after the last message. If you have the display scrolled up (when more than one screen of messages are being displayed), that information is not visible. So it's not at the bottom of the displayed window or page, it's at the bottom of the scrollable message list, which is not obvious to me!

I also can't see it on the iOS or iPadOS Gmail app, or using a browser on Gmail.com using my iPad -- I tried the Chrome browser. Even scrolled down to the end of the message list there isn't any "Last account activity" information.

So I guess you must use some type of real PC with a browser and scroll to the last message to see "Last account activity".

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2023, 03:18 PM   #6
Avion

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
So I guess you must use some type of real PC with a browser and scroll to the last message to see "Last account activity".
I have, under maximum page size, set to show 25 conversations per page.

No scrolling involved.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote