EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Feb 2021, 06:40 AM   #1
camner
Cornerstone of the Community

Can one see individual email storage sizes?

I'd like be able to see the amount of storage each email takes up, and ideally, to sort by storage used. That way I can see if I can strategically delete some emails to free up storage.

Is this possible?
camner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Feb 2021, 09:14 AM   #2
pjroutledge

Try the suggestion in this thread: http://emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=75695
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2021, 10:46 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I don't know what the posters on that other thread thought, but today you don't need to use the Classic theme. You can see exactly what you wish by doing the following using any theme:
  • In the mail overview listing, use the Sort by button in the upper right portion of the overview to set Sort by size.
  • The size will be shown at the far right of each email. If you can't see it, you need to make the window wider. If you in the Show reading pane mode in Settings>Preferences>Mail, you may need to mouse-over the vertical dividing line between the list and the reading pane and drag it to the right a bit.
  • In the Sort by tool you can also enable or disable previews. If previews are disabled, you will get the maximum number of messages on the screen, sorted by size.
  • You can delete emails you no longer need, or use an email client such as Thunderbird to download messages to a PC and drag them to an offline folder.
  • If you use conversation (threaded) mode, then in Settings>Preferences>Advanced>Show size you can choose to Only show conversation size in message list when sorting by size
Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 17 Feb 2021 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Added information about conversations
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2021, 11:15 AM   #4
camner

Thanks both for your replies. Using the dropdown menu at the far right certainly was easy!

Now, a followup question: Is there a way to see the entire contents of my FM account in a flat view so I can see which messages are the largest without having to check each of my (too) many folders 1 by 1?
Old 17 Feb 2021, 12:06 PM   #5
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by camner View Post
Is there a way to see the entire contents of my FM account in a flat view so I can see which messages are the largest without having to check each of my (too) many folders 1 by 1?
You can use a third party program like this http://broobles.com/imapsize/index.php

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2021, 12:17 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Viewing all messages in all folders

Yes, you can easily do this, and it shows how flexible Fastmail can be.
  • First you need to decide if you want to view the conversation sizes or the individual message sizes. Then go to Settings>Preferences>Conversations and make your choice.
  • If you use Folders mode (also on the same Settings screen immediately above the Conversation selection), in the Search Mail box above the message list enter in:* and the Enter key. If you then sort by size, you will see every message in all folders. You can also search for certain messages in all folders by using in:* followed by a space character and then any normal search string, and they can be listed as described before by size.
  • If you use Labels mode, it's easier. Just select the All mail label in the label tree at the left and of course choose Sort by size. This will show messages in all folders except Spam and Trash. To add Spam and Trash to the labels shown in All mail, you need to enter in:* into the Search Mail box.
The advantage of using the built-in Fastmail web interface features over IMAPsize is speed and ease of use. I have over 200,000 messages in my Fastmail main account in many folders, and I can very easily see all of them sorted by size and delete them as needed. IMAPsize was useful in the past before Fastmail added many new search features.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2021, 12:36 PM   #7
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
You can use a third party program like this http://broobles.com/imapsize/index.php

- Bruce
Or you can use Thunderbird from Mozilla https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/download/
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2021, 11:37 PM   #8
camner

Thanks all for your replies. I never would have thought of using "in:*" as a shortcut way of looking at the message store in a flat view. It worked perfectly, and I was able to quickly reduce the total size of my message store by about 10% in just a few minutes.