EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Oct 2020, 03:46 PM   #1
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Affect on Thunderbird after renaming FastMail account

I renamed my FastMail account but now I have a unexpected problem as a result of that name change with my Thunderbird (TB) configured as a POP client. It's been working for years using my original account email address and app password.

Say my original account was abc@fastmail.com. I rename it to abc1@fastmail.com. I deleted the POP and SMTP password entries from my TB saved logins to force TB to prompt the next time I do a write and read.

The other things to change in TB is the POP server setting's user name from abc@fastmail.com to abc1@fastmail.com. Similarly I change the SMTP user name to abc1@fastmail.com.

Deleting the TB password entries to force the prompt for new passwords and changing the user name for the POP and SMTP servers should be all that are necessary for TB.

I then tried to send something. As expected it prompted for the password which is the same as the "old" password, i.e., my Thunderbird app password. The password is saved in TB for the SMPT server and the write finishes with no problems. In other words it works for sending.

Now I try to read what was sent. Again being the first time for a read I get a prompt for the password. I enter TB's app password and tell it to save it in the saved logins just like I did it for the write. That too works successfully.

BUT...

When I look at the saved login password list the entry for the SMTP server is for abc1@fastmail.com, i.e., correct. But the pop server entry is for the original abc@fastmail.com and not abc1@fastmail.com.

Further reads and writes work in TB without the prompts as expected. But the question is why does TB list the POP password for the original account name and not the new account name and how can it even work that way even though it does? I don't know if this is a problem on POP server side or on TB's side. How could TB access the server with the new account name but record it with the old account name and still work for all future reads?

I thought I understood how password changing works in TB but this one's got me stumped so I am looking for suggestions. Of course I never had the ability to actually change the account name before so maybe it's a TB bug. I really don't want to create a fresh account in TB just to see if that works if I can avoid it especially if it works the way it is albeit a little confusing.

Any ideas?
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Oct 2020, 06:45 PM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Use CC cleaner and delete all your thunderbird passwords and start again just tick remember my password....also you will need a new application password.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2020, 07:19 PM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Use CC cleaner and delete all your thunderbird passwords and start again just tick remember my password....also you will need a new application password.
All of TB's "world" is stored in its profile (a folder of data associated with the app). So clearing those passwords from TB using its Saved Logins settings should be sufficient. I can just knock out the file it keeps the passwords in the profile since I have other accounts with their own passwords.

I did try a different app password (and disabled the original) but I believe that didn't change anything. Besides the app passwords are tied to the application type. So I am not sure how that helps nor how using a different app password would cause TB to use the proper user name in its password table. But I'll try that again tomorrow since today was so hectic (also had problems with FM UI displaying in the browser too - took a while to get that back). Not a fun day.

Last edited by xyzzy : 29 Oct 2020 at 07:30 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote