EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Oct 2003, 08:33 PM   #181
DBH

Welcome to the forum, Kamanaonoeau!
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2003, 02:51 AM   #182
dee_zaster

fastmail and those nasty pif things

I'm one of those people who uses the group systems on the major networks to run and moderate a few groups of varying sizes.
My group mail is split unevenly between fm and a yahoo box...90% to fm, 10% to yahoo.
During the recent w32 sobig plagues, i received over 300 unsolicited 100kb virus pifs in the yahoo box in one week.
It kept me quite busy killing them(to stop my mailbox going into bounce status and de-activating my memberships)
In my fm mailbox in the same period , only one of the blighters got through.
I dread to think what would have happened to my bw allowance if nine times 300 times 100kb had landed there in a week. 270meg, if your math is slow.
Fortunately there seems to be an awareness of spamvirusing techniques at fastmail central, which kills the offending mails ( at router level maybe ?), leaving me free to deal with only the genuine stuff that floods in.
For that, i am eternally grateful.
The bounce button and all the other crafty little gizmos are the icing on the cake...and the speed is truly awesome, even on my crabby diallup connex. Almost fast enough to chat in realtime lol
I recommend it to everyone i meet who has a high volume of incoming mail, because it just makes communicating a whole lot easier when something works properly...all of the time.
Power grid collapses notwithstanding, of course

Best mailbox i've ever had, by a country mile
Thank you

dee
dee_zaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2003, 03:43 AM   #183
spacedog

new shift key feature

i was literally just thinking this should be added about a week and a half ago. it works great! features like this, as well as the interfacing w/ hotmail and other mail servers, bouncing messages, redirecting, and style sheets really makes fastmail my email of choice. thanks!
spacedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2003, 06:21 AM   #184
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Thumbs up Support for Full/Enhanced Customers

I am a fastmail user (have been for about 1 year, I think) and have slowly moved from guest to enhanced user for a variety of reasons.

When I got to the "full" level, I experienced a level of personal support that amazed me.

The Support guy - Kurian - was patient, friendly and supportive through all my dumb questions and mistakes as I tried various things and learnt new functions (eg: getting a virtual domain installed).

He is a credit to the Fastmail team. People should be aware that the support he gives is worth the "full" / "enhanced" subscription alone.

Don't be afraid to upgrade - it's worth it!

James.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2003, 08:42 PM   #185
kalyan

Just another testimonial from a *very* happy FM user -

I love about FM -
1. Works as expected and blazing fast too (webmail and clients)
2. Very helpful FM community (my member a/c was donated to me)
3. User friendly (same as 1 above)
4. Sexy stylesheets (hate images), my fave being Pro. Blue. Check out the Haiku lady's(can't recollect the name ) website for all the stylesheets. Thanks to her
5. this is will take too long and I'll end up writing a book

I hate about FM -
1. I love to crib about things and the FM team/community never gives me a chance (thats why I got so few posts in this forum)
2. Addictive too, I keep checking my email a/c frequently for no reason. Maybe I like the *awe-inspiring* webmail interface too much for my own good.
3. I hate to praise yet I can't stop singing peans of FM.

All said and done, FM is god's gift to mankind. When I start thinking there's nothing more to do for the FM team viola FM does something great again.

Kudos to FM and keep it coming (can't afford de-addiction)

Regards

Kalyan
kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2003, 08:06 AM   #186
Intense

Internet the way it should be.

Hi all.

I found out about fastmail one day last week when I was fed up with all the crap i got in my hotmail inbox. I just had enough! I was browsing the net for free email providers to join. Free because I have a paid ISP and own domain name email accounts that I use so i just wanted something casual.

Anyways I was so impressed with this kick bum of an email service that I became a paid member. I am not even going to mention what parts I love, as we'd be here all day.

Keep up the fantastic work guys. You have returned the one part of the Internet to its roots. Loads of functionality and no frills.

* * * * * From me

Thanks,

Peter.
Intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2003, 01:47 PM   #187
jbayne

I've been shopping around for a new email home for a couple of months now, trying out some of the ones that allow free/trial accounts. I found a couple that I liked, but never one that had all the features I wanted. Oddpost was my favorite, but is very basic service without any advanced features. Others had no trial service to allow me to decide for myself what it really had to offer.

Then I found Fastmail, and I knew almost instantly that it was the one. Great set of features on the free account, with enough power for me to see how it works. Extremely reasonable subscription plans that are very feature rich. Less than a week after I found it, I was a paid member and fully moved in. I cannot say enough about how cool the subdomain feature is--being able to spontaneously make up addresses is a real power trip!

The initial selling point for me was the ability to check Hotmail accounts, but Fastmail is so powerful that I have already started phasing out my Hotmail accounts, and will probably get rid of them within the next couple of months.

In a time where many websites are asking for your money, it is great to find one that really earns that money. I will be telling all my friends about Fastmail!

Jason
jbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2003, 02:52 AM   #188
waynenf

I've been searching for a number of years for an email provider that meets my needs, and finally, I have found one that is exactly what I have been looking for... FASTMAIL.

I've tried many of the top providers, including Runbox and Mailsnare. And, although these were very good providers, they just didn't quite meet my needs, and suffered from a few technical glitches that caused me problems.

I even became a Yahoo Premium Mail subscriber, but began to have serious problems with Spam and with messages not being received.

I gave up hope of ever finding a good, reliable email provider.

Finally, I found Fastmail.

I've only been a paid subscriber for a number of days, but already I see a major improvement:
1. Help requests are handled quickly, and always with the interest of the customer at heart.
2. Email is sent and received quickly and without issue.

Thank you all for recommending such an excellent email provider to me!

I am now a very happy man...

- Wayne

waynenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2003, 03:04 AM   #189
AcE

Simply teh best and (conditionally) free IMAP email provider I have come across!

I have been using it for quite some time now, and I never felt a need to look into another service.

Cant say anything about support, cause I never felt any need to contact them (another plus point)
AcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2003, 02:02 AM   #190
DianeB
Cornerstone of the Community

Thumbs up Totally Awesome

I have been having problems with not receiving mail via my ISP. I had NO knowledge of 'email servers', so thought the only solution would be to change my ISP.

I was doing some researching & stumbled upon FM by sheer accident. Woo Hoo !!!

I've made serveral posts, asking tons of questions as a 'newbie', & the folks here are totally awesome.
I couldn't believe the extra quick responses from SO many people.

I WILL be upgrading my account shortly & I've already sent word to my sister of this service. She can go back to using her cheaper ISP, that we preferred anyway. The cost of that, plus the cost of the highest level of FM, is still below the cost of the $16.95 that she is now paying for an ISP. (We loveeeee saving those dollars!!)

Thumbs up all the way for FM. I realize I still have A LOT to learn, but I'm very confident that if I have any questions, big or small, they will be answered by all the wonderful people that donate their time & effort in helping others.

JMHO, FM is definitely gonna be a keeper!!

DianeB
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2003, 08:20 AM   #191
lazarus

Talking A timely reminder

To cut a long story short, I recently had some email bounced - checking the headers and so forth showed this friend's ISP had their mail server badly configured (backup MX doesn't know it should be accepting email for relay to primary MX).

The postmaster@ address bounced due to a quota problem.

After faxing their support and eventually top administrator, it became exceedingly obvious that none of their employees had a clue what they were doing.

Result - timely reminder how cool it is to use fastmail.fm, which:
a) works (OK most of the time)
b) has clued-up and helpful staff who understand and resolve problems
c) Has this cool forum

Secondary result - big reccomendation for fastmail.fm; big "get away from ... ISP reccomendation" to buddy.

Keep up the good work, guys.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2003, 11:09 PM   #192
shack

Freemail

I've been around a bit. Over the many years since I was introduced to the internet, I've had over 14 different email addresses, all free. I've been with Yahoo!, Hotmail (both before and after MSN), Imaginemail (no longer exists), Mail.com (no longer giving free accounts) and at one point I even tried getting a Geocities account, before Yahoo! took them over.

But I have NEVER seen a service as good as FastMail. Even the free service is far superior to even Mail.com when I first joined up (they used to be pretty good). I now have the largest account quota I've ever had; the interface seems to be devoid of all advertisements; I have an IMAP email client set up with no trouble; and above all, a friendly, powerful, well-thought out and customisable webmail account. I have never had as many options as I do now with where my emails go, how I respond to them and so forth. Almost my whole family is on FastMail and I'm trying to get some HotMail Heretics to convert.

Overall, I rate the service as good.

No, excellently, magnificantly, outstandingly, terrifically, fantastically good.
___
shack
shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jan 2004, 11:57 AM   #193
jedilizagain
Essential Contributor

Thank you fastmail! I love your service. You offered the chance for the users of that one service that closed 2 years ago (visto.com I think it was) to migrate their emails to you.

I paid for an account a few months ago and am definitely sticking with you.

And when my ISP blocked some emails I needed to receive, I switched my account over to my fastmail address and was pleasantly surprised to find I received the emails instantly.

Great Work!
jedilizagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2004, 09:43 PM   #194
brand new

FastMail -- simply the best e-mail experience!
brand new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2004, 04:32 AM   #195
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Talking

It's ironic that Fastmail.FM for some people has an undeserved reputation for unreliability — this being due to the fact that when there's a problem, FM staff always tell us that there's a problem, unlike all other services I've come across, which operate according to the mushroom-farm school of management; that is, "keep them in the dark and feed them sh[NO CARRIER]

[CONNECTION RESTORED]...I really like this open and honest (and friendly) way of running things, it's one of the too-many-to-list items which make FM great!
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote