EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Oct 2014, 05:43 AM   #1
me0000

What's happening with fastmail.com

does anyone know?
me0000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Oct 2014, 07:59 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

As I stated in the similar thread you created, that domain has recently changed to Fastmail ownership and that URL redirects to the Fastmail login page.

News about major changes at Fastmail is made on their blog (http://blog.fastmail.fm/) or via a direct email to users from Fastmail staff. I haven't seen any notices about uses of that domain, so I think we will all have to wait.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2014, 08:50 AM   #3
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by me0000 View Post
does anyone know?
I know!

Its coming. There's a lot of moving parts and a few tricky problems that need to be solved to do what we want to do with it.

There will be plenty of communication about what's happening when the time comes, very soon now.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2014, 02:50 PM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Probably waiting for this poll to close.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2014, 05:41 PM   #5
ulmus
Essential Contributor

I know what domain my email should have:
fm.com
Wow! Maybe sometime in the future?
ulmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2014, 01:00 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

This thread is about fastmail.com. There is another recent EMD thread about fm.com, a quite different domain name. You could purchase fm.com (it's for sale) and use it yourself (if you can afford it!).
Old 8 Oct 2014, 07:12 AM   #7
Lollypup

Fastmail is a mess

I spent the last week submitting tickets requesting assistance as I am locked out of my lollypup@fastmail.net email account...one that I paid good money for and have had for over 6 years...NOT ONE response back from them. I am done with fastmail.....their customer service is NON com and there are too many good choices out there. Cheaper with more storage..
Lollypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2014, 09:18 AM   #8
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollypup View Post
I spent the last week submitting tickets requesting assistance as I am locked out of my lollypup@fastmail.net email account...one that I paid good money for and have had for over 6 years...NOT ONE response back from them. I am done with fastmail.....their customer service is NON com and there are too many good choices out there. Cheaper with more storage..
Actually your ticket was actioned within a day. The account was unlocked and a new password assigned.

The reason you didn't get any replies is that you have no alternate contact information on your account (your backup address is set to your primary address). And while I see that you've sent through various information to try to identify yourself, that can be a slow process because we have no way to reliably verify that its really you. And so the ticket languishes.

I don't know what the actual procedure is in this case (I'm not on the support team). I will ask around and see what I can do.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 10:16 AM   #9
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Actually your ticket was actioned within a day.
Ouch. Glad to hear FM support is improving (and standing up for themselves)..

PS.. Not sure "actioned" is a word.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2014, 10:46 AM   #10
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
PS.. Not sure "actioned" is a word.
My MBA, if I had one, would disagree!

Ok, you got me. I'm going to try and use "acted upon" instead from now on
Old 8 Oct 2014, 12:07 PM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I think that "actioned" is in common usage.
https://www.wordnik.com/words/actioned

Bill
Old 12 Oct 2014, 06:31 AM   #12
me0000

Quote:
I know!

Its coming. There's a lot of moving parts and a few tricky problems that need to be solved to do what we want to do with it.

There will be plenty of communication about what's happening when the time comes, very soon now.
ha ha

what is very soon in your time zone?
me0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2014, 05:51 AM   #13
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Actually your ticket was actioned within a day. The account was unlocked and a new password assigned.

The reason you didn't get any replies is that you have no alternate contact information on your account (your backup address is set to your primary address). And while I see that you've sent through various information to try to identify yourself, that can be a slow process because we have no way to reliably verify that its really you. And so the ticket languishes.

I don't know what the actual procedure is in this case (I'm not on the support team). I will ask around and see what I can do.
So... I started to look for where my backup address or emergency address is... I cannot find it in the preferences anywhere.....

Sooo... where is this exactly?

Not exactly clear for a user to set this up, i'd say. How many people actually have an emergency backup email on their accounts?

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2014, 05:53 AM   #14
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
So... I started to look for where my backup address or emergency address is... I cannot find it in the preferences anywhere.....

Sooo... where is this exactly?

Not exactly clear for a user to set this up, i'd say. How many people actually have an emergency backup email on their accounts?

/cl
Okay, I found it under password and security... Took long enough. There's too much confusion with settings/ advanced settings. Everything that's available under settings should also be available via the advanced settings screen...

Very confusing.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2014, 09:06 AM   #15
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Setting up backup email

Quote:
So... I started to look for where my backup address or emergency address is... I cannot find it in the preferences anywhere....Sooo... where is this exactly?
Log into the normal web interface and view the Password & Security screen. Since the backup email address is used to reset your password, it's part of your account security setup.
Quote:
...Not exactly clear for a user to set this up, i'd say. How many people actually have an emergency backup email on their accounts?
I have backup email addresses set up for all of my Fastmail accounts, as well as my Outlook/Live (old Hotmail), Yahoo, and Gmail accounts. If you don't have such backup reset emails in place, you can lose an account if it appears a spammer has gotten control, since the mail method for proving the account is yours is your backup email account. A reset message is sent to the backup account, so if you still have access to the backup account you can recover your lost account.

Bill