EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 21 Mar 2005, 11:08 PM   #1
Gnome

Webmail and MS-Word

Hi,

Can you guys please address the problem where RB will replace my apostrophes and commas with what looks like escape sequences - please? I catch it most of the time, but it's REALLY embarrassing when one slips by me - especially when I'm sending out something like a resume.

None of my other web mail clients seem to have this problem. I don't want to stop using runbox, but remaining patient is getting tiresome.

Joe
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Mar 2005, 11:29 PM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I think you need to explain the problem better.

What are you doing with regards, to MS-Word? Are you attaching an MS-Word DOC file? Are you cut&pasting stuff from MS-Word into Runbox?

If you are cut&pasting then you need to keep in mind that you are may not be working with the same fonts in the browser Windows as you are in the MS-Word document.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2005, 12:20 AM   #3
Gnome

Yeah sorry Rich, I was enraged for a moment and not thinking clearly....

I cut and paste from a word document into my webmail. The problem stems from the auto-replace that Word uses... it puts in the curvy apostrophe and comma. Runbox for some reason doesn't interpret this character correctly and _sends_ the mail with an escape sequence even though the edit box displays the correct character.

Joe
Old 22 Mar 2005, 12:28 AM   #4
Gnome

A little experiment....

I wrote this in word, C&P'd it into runbox, and sent it to my gmail account:
This problem doesn't make any sense to me, why is this messed up?

This was received:
This problem doesn#8217;t make any sense to me, why is this messed up?

I did the same for gmail and sent it to runbox and it came through correctly. I'm not saying this to be a pain - just that the problem is solvable - as someone has solved it.

I'm for the most part happy with runbox and hope they're my provider for years to come, but these nagging troubles are irritating. This time it caused me a great deal of embarrassment as it happened on an email I sent to a prospective client.

PS Since I cut and pasted the message into this box too, we'll see how the message board handles the apostrophe problem

Edit note: Removed the ampersand from the escape sequence - hopefully whoever read the email has something to replace the ES with a real character.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 12:30 AM   #5
Gnome

Hah! The board took out the escape sequence and replaced it with a real apostrophe!
Old 22 Mar 2005, 01:40 AM   #6
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi Joe,

I don't think the problem is actually with Runbox. Did you try sending the same message to yourself and view it.

I tried this and the message I recieved at Runbox displayed perfectly with both opening and closing quotes. And theapostrophe was just fine too.

I sent a copy if the same message to my GMail account and it viewed just fine at GMail too.

What browser are you using? What charater encoding is being used by the browser? I tried it with FireFox and IE 5.5 under Windows 2000 and both showed everything just fine.

Regards,
Rich
Old 22 Mar 2005, 01:55 AM   #7
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Oh, by the way, you could shut-off the autoreplace in Word. If that's an option.

Regards,
Rich
Old 22 Mar 2005, 02:05 AM   #8
Gnome

Quote:
Originally posted by carverrn
Hi Joe,

I don't think the problem is actually with Runbox. Did you try sending the same message to yourself and view it.

I tried this and the message I recieved at Runbox displayed perfectly with both opening and closing quotes. And theapostrophe was just fine too.

I sent a copy if the same message to my GMail account and it viewed just fine at GMail too.

What browser are you using? What charater encoding is being used by the browser? I tried it with FireFox and IE 5.5 under Windows 2000 and both showed everything just fine.

Regards,
Rich
I have to disagree, sent copies from Runbox to Gmail and to runbox. Both were received with the escape sequence.

I sent the same message from gmail to runbox and I had no problem. The only place I receive an issue is when the sending account is runbox.

I'm using both FF1 and IE5.5 on XP and 2000. The environment is not making a difference. I'll run the same test with my yahoo and hotmail accounts tonight, with the following steps:

1) Type into Word
2) Cut and Paste into webmail
3) Send the message.

While turning off autoreplace may seem like the ideal sollution, I'm hardly ever at the same machine - hence my use of webmail. Shutting off autoreplace every time I sit at a box may be something I remember to do, or may not be. Either way, I'd expect my mail client to behave better than it is.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 02:43 AM   #9
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by Gnome
I have to disagree, sent copies from Runbox to Gmail and to runbox. Both were received with the escape sequence.
But I did the same test without a problem. If it's Runbox why didn't I have the same problem?

What's your Language Encoding for your Runbox preferences? Maybe that is doing something. Make sure you're looking at the Language Encoding for the folder you are sending the message from within.

Regards,
Rich
Old 22 Mar 2005, 04:24 AM   #10
Gnome

Thanks for helping me out with this Rich, I don't want to be too much of a curmudgeon.

The language is set to Western European; what are you set to?
Old 22 Mar 2005, 04:27 AM   #11
Gnome

Bah, set it to utf and it works now. Happy to have found that, thanks for the help Rich, and sorry for grousing too much.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 04:37 AM   #12
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Glad you found it. Mine actually isn't set so I think it defaults to Unicode/UTF-8.

Regards,
Rich