EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Aug 2023, 08:50 PM   #1
JoeR

Audible Email Alert - PC browser

For those using a browser to access fastmail.

Has anyone setup things so they get an audible alert when an email arrives. It doesn't appear natively possible within fastmail. Although I have got the tiny visual alert setup. Is anyone aware of a browser extension that would add this ability?

cheers
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Aug 2023, 09:13 PM   #2
JoeR

Failing that is there a way to trigger (perhaps using sieve script) a separate generic email, to be sent to something like gmail as according to the internet that does have browser extensions for it that will give you an audible alert.

N.B I don't want the original email sent to gmail as I consider it insecure
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2023, 07:23 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
Failing that is there a way to trigger (perhaps using sieve script) a separate generic email, to be sent to something like gmail as according to the internet that does have browser extensions for it that will give you an audible alert.

N.B I don't want the original email sent to gmail as I consider it insecure
It is possible to create a Rule in Fastmail to have all incoming emails forwarded to Gmail as well as your Fastmail account. It is possible, using Email Studio to arrange for those emails within Gmail be automatically purged after, say, one day.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2023, 10:06 AM   #4
pjroutledge

I don't think you need any extension. At least, not with Firefox.

In Windows settings (Settings > Notificaitons), you need to allow 'Allow notifications to play sounds'.
In Windows settings again (Settings > Notifications > Firefox), you also need to set Firefox to 'Play a sound when a notification arrives'.
In Fastmail Quick Settings (at the bottom) toggle 'Show notifications for new messages' on.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2023, 01:42 AM   #5
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
Even if a Sieve rule can trigger a separate email the fundamental problem is that Sieve is driven for each incoming mail. So if a burst of 60 mails arrives you'd get 60 messages sent, when presumably you'd only want one.

A differerent way to approach this might be to use a screen automation package (eg AutoHotKey, or AutoIt) to run a script on your computer which continually (or, say, once every few seconds) looks for the visual notification you mentioned, in an active browser tab.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote