EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 16 Mar 2021, 02:09 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Is it wise to buy webhosting and domains with the same company?

On Reddit, a few people noted that it is unwise to use 1 company for domain registration, webhosting and email. The "don't put your eggs in one basket" theory. They say that using a different company for each of the services, you can avoid a lot of problems: if one company has technical issues, only one service (domainname, website or email) will be affected while the other services will continue to work.

What are your opinions on this?

I am doubting about this one. I already purchased domains for the websites I want to start working on, and my domain registrar has an attractive offer: Wordpress hosting with unlimited storage for just 25$ per year. That's very attractive, but of course I'd be having my domains and sites with one company.

I could in theory search for a different web host, but then most web hosts offer a domain name included in the package, so I'd have two domains for the same website then. And even if I'd pick a host without domain included (which is fine as I already purchased the domains) I'd probably be paying more than the 25$ for unlimited storage that my domain registrar offers.

So how wise or unwise is it really to have different services with the same company?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Mar 2021, 08:00 PM   #2
mister
Essential Contributor

I think I'd take anything I found on Reddit with a grain of salt. It has a huge user base many of whom are unreliable at best
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2021, 08:15 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

I agree that ideally it is best to use different services for domain hosting, webhosting, and email hosting. But, if the website is not mission critical I can see going with the deal you can get. I myself have experienced the problems you can encounter when everything is controlled by one company, having lost email, suffered website problems, and had email go down. For mission critical stuff I want my email with one of the really big providers like Microsoft 365 or Gmail, and they don't offer website hosting directly unless you just need a Blogger site (which actually works quite well for small things). I don't want my website going down and then losing email at the same time. I also control my domains via a third party so I can instantly switch over to other providers if I have to. In general I would say the most trouble can be caused by your webhost, so choose that one very carefully for important things.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2021, 02:45 AM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

If you have everything with one company it makes life simpler. Only one set of renewal bills and no replies to your complains "it's not us, it's them"
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2021, 01:04 AM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

I understand. Would you guys mostly trust a webhosting company to also be reliable for domain registration and email, or would you also trust a reknown domain registrar to be reliable for webhosting and email?

I have two domains for which I want to build a website. My domain registrar offers Wordpress hosting with unlimited storage for just 25$ per year. That is tempting, even though I am unsure if I'd be able to split it in two websites (one for each domain) or if I'd need to buy the Wordpress hosting for both domains separately (which would be 50$ per year).
Tempting, but I'm not sure if domain registrars are generally reliable for webhosting (which is, at least not initially, their core service)
Old 3 Apr 2021, 04:32 AM   #6
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
Sort of agree, but not exactly for the avoid all eggs in one basket reason..

DNS needs to be hosted somewhere reliable. AWS Route53 works for me. If the DNS goes down everything else is down too.

Web hosting should be hosted where web hosting is the focus and security/updates top to bottom are covered too.

Maybe email doesn't matter. If the email isn't critical, bundling with the free tier of a provider such as using Godaddy for DNS + some free email accounts works just fine.

A real corp would prefer email solution such as o365.

Middle tier = I still recommend LuxSci. HIPAA focused not required, and still great responsive tech support.

Last edited by popowich : 3 Apr 2021 at 04:39 AM.
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2021, 11:56 PM   #7
guest2k
Cornerstone of the Community

from what you described, it sounds like namecheap.com, i've been hosting and domain with them few years now.
guest2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2021, 10:43 PM   #8
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by popowich View Post
Sort of agree, but not exactly for the avoid all eggs in one basket reason..

DNS needs to be hosted somewhere reliable. AWS Route53 works for me. If the DNS goes down everything else is down too.

Web hosting should be hosted where web hosting is the focus and security/updates top to bottom are covered too.

Maybe email doesn't matter. If the email isn't critical, bundling with the free tier of a provider such as using Godaddy for DNS + some free email accounts works just fine.

A real corp would prefer email solution such as o365.

Middle tier = I still recommend LuxSci. HIPAA focused not required, and still great responsive tech support.
Thanks for your clear answer. The one thing I wonder now, is the part I emphasised in red and bold: would you rather trust your webhost to also take care of the domain registration, rather than your domain registrar also taking care of the web hosting?

I already registered several domains I want to use, I am not sure if I should rely on my registrar to also host the websites I am wanting to launch.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 11:13 PM   #9
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
> would you rather trust your webhost to also take care of the domain registration

Probably exceptions, but my generic answer is no. DNS is not a service that makes service providers or web hosting companies money. They provide it for user convenience (bundling) and because it helps you to "stick" to their other services. Other times it's quietly outsourced. For DNS, if you care, go with a provider who focuses on DNS. There is an implication above the web hosting is paying the registration bill for you. Who owns the domain? Can you transfer it to other DNS servers if you choose to leave their service?

I didn't mention the difference between DNS Registrar and DNS Hosting yet. It's perfectly fine for those to be separated too. For many of my personal domains, GoDaddy is the registrar and AWS Route 53 for the DNS Hosting.
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2021, 09:30 PM   #10
jtayd

Uk2 are offering something very similar at present.
jtayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2021, 06:31 AM   #11
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz
If you have everything with one company it makes life simpler. Only one set of renewal bills and no replies to your complains "it's not us, it's them"
Ya I suppose so but if that ONE COMPANY has problems,you might lose total service until its fized......
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote