EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 17 Feb 2021, 04:25 PM   #1
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

LastPass free users now stuck with a tough choice

From the LastPass blog:
Quote:
Starting March 16th, 2021, LastPass Free will only include access on unlimited devices of one type. To clarify what we mean by active device type, we’ve included two examples below:
  • Sarah is a Free user with Computers as her active device type. She can use LastPass on her laptop, desktop and her dad’s laptop (anyone’s computer!), but she can’t use LastPass on her phone, tablet, or smart watch unless she upgrades to LastPass Premium, which has unlimited device type access.
  • Steve is a Free user with Mobile Devices as his active device type. He can use LastPass on his iPhone, Android work phone, tablet, and smart watch, but he can’t use LastPass on his desktop or laptop unless he upgrades to LastPass Premium, which has unlimited device type access.
As a Free user, your first login on or after March 16th will set your active device type. You’ll have three opportunities to switch your active device type to explore what’s right for you.

In addition to this change, as of May 17th, 2021, email support will only be available for Premium and Families customers.

As a current Free user, you can upgrade to Premium now for an exclusive, limited time discount and receive Premium for $2.25 per month (billed annually).
The regular price is $3 per month (billed annually). BTW, the link to the discounted price offer is broken as of now (7:20 UTC, 17 Feb.): "Sorry, we're having some issues. Our Engineers are working toward the solution"
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Feb 2021, 08:45 PM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

I've been using Bitwarden for several years and like it. The free version is quite good, but I do pay $10 per year for the Premium version which adds a few features. I moved away from LastPass a long time ago.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2021, 10:24 PM   #3
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Wow, that will put a crimp on LastPass free users I suspect.

I am a KeePass user.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2021, 04:59 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I have used SplashID password manager for many years. I upgraded to a lifetime account in 2013 (7.5 years ago) for US $30. If I had paid $3/month for 7.5 years, I would have spent $270 over that interval. So the SplashData lifetime SplashID account has been a good investment for me! I use it every day across multiple PC's, iOS devices, and an Android device. I can also access my many saved records using a web browser.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2021, 10:59 AM   #5
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Looks like I just became a paying member of LastPass.

Well, as they say nothing free truly lasts forever.

I had a feeling this day would come.

I've been using LastPass for many years and I'm not gonna change now to save a few bucks.

So, I'm in......
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2021, 02:46 PM   #6
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
I've been using LastPass for many years and I'm not gonna change now to save a few bucks.
No offense but I think that is exactly the 'market' they are seeking. From a business POV it makes perfect sense. But, there's always a but..

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2021, 08:25 PM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

Personally, there are just too many good alternatives to LastPass to make me feel that paying a subscription of $3 a month is worth it. I currently use Bitwarden Premium which is $10 per year, but I could do just fine with the free version. But, I've used KeyPass in the past and it is open source and completely free, and would be perfectly fine too. I really, really hate subscriptions and will only use them for mission-critical things. But, on the other hand, your mission-critical items may vary.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2021, 08:57 PM   #8
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I've used KeyPass in the past and it is open source and completely free, and would be perfectly fine too.
I've been using Enpass for a few years, but have recently rediscovered KeepassXC, their browser extensions seem to have improved and are easy to use, plus I can store my database in the online file storage of one of my e-mail providers.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2021, 10:13 PM   #9
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
No offense but I think that is exactly the 'market' they are seeking. From a business POV it makes perfect sense. But, there's always a but..

- Bruce
But! You could also lose a lot of free customers, "but", if they're not paying you won't stay in business that long unless you do something such as this. Free doesn't pay the bills.

I realize there are wonderful free alternatives, and I've tried a few "but", always go back to LastPass. I just found it easier to use. Probably just me?

I actually felt a little guilty using their free service since it was so good but that feeling soon went away. LOL!!!

Anyways, I'm not a paid spokesman for LastPass, just a satisfied customer, "but".......
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2021, 11:21 PM   #10
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I have used SplashID password manager for many years. I upgraded to a lifetime account in 2013 (7.5 years ago) for US $30.
Why didn't you tell us 7.5 years ago?
Old 19 Feb 2021, 12:03 AM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Why didn't you tell us 7.5 years ago?
A search on this forum finds that I posted about SplashID at least ten times starting in 2012. But I believe this is the first time I have mentioned their lifetime accounts. Sorry about that!
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2021, 12:28 AM   #12
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

You are forgiven .....
Old 17 Mar 2021, 03:40 AM   #13
Gankaku

I've been using KeePass for years now. It's free, but I think you can donate.

There is more in there than one could ever need. It's got a lot of bells and whistles if you want to dig in.

One thing I love about it is there are a lot of plugins (for your special needs!). I use one called KeeTheme and it's a dark mode theme. It works well and is regularly updated. It's necessary that I use dark themes and dark mode everywhere now. If KeePass didn't have it, I could not use it.

I also love that you can sync via webdav. I have the app on two devices and on my computer. I haven't had any syncing issues since I started using it, nor loss of data.

I don't know that there's a reason to pay when there are free tools to which you can donate whenever you feel like donating in whatever amount. When I saw this article originally and also people fussing on Reddit about the changes with LastPass, I think they must not know much about KeePass.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2021, 03:59 AM   #14
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
I've been using KeePass for years now. It's free, but I think you can donate.

It's got a lot of bells and whistles if you want to dig in.

I use one called KeeTheme and it's a dark mode theme. It works well and is regularly updated. It's necessary that I use dark themes and dark mode everywhere now. If KeePass didn't have it, I could not use it.
One can donate. I have more than once over the past couple decades. I use the KeeTheme plug-in as well, for exactly the reasons you do. I was recently looking out of curiosity at another package called passbolt. I stopped research and lost any interest when I discovered that the 'free' version does not have a 'dark mode' theme but the paid version does.

I think the UI is browser based, so modifying the display wouldn't be trouble for me, but then my morals kicked in and I made another donation (first one this year!) to Dominik and I will continue to use his KeePass program.

- Bruce

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 17 Mar 2021 at 04:46 AM.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2021, 04:05 AM   #15
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
One can donate. I have more than once over the past couple decades. I use the KeeTheme plug-in as well, for exactly the reasons you do. I was recently looking out of curiosity at another package called passbolt. I stopped research and lost any interest when I discovered that the 'free' version does not have a 'dark mode' theme but the paid version does.

I think the UI is browser based, so modifying the display wouldn't be trouble for me, but then my morals kicked in and I made another donation (first one this year!) to Dominick and I will continue to use his KeePass program.

- Bruce
Yeah I don't have enough money to donate right now, but I hope to do so again very soon. It's one of my most important apps.

I'm a loudmouth when it comes to dark mode. If an app won't implement dark mode in the free version, I stop trying it immediately, and I let the dev know why, very openly and loudly! I'm not the only one who has eye issues, and dark mode is a necessity, not a "cool option luxury". I actually was the one who was the big mouth who mentioned on their forum about needing a dark theme for KeePass. The dev of KeeTheme told me much later that my post was why he developed it. It's really important to know that not everyone can tolerate a glaring white background. If they care, they'll do something about it. KeePass folks cared abut my eyes and yours, so I tout it as much as possible.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote