EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Feb 2014, 12:04 AM   #1
Sundog

Login Disabled

Wonder if anyone here can she any light on my problem.

On Friday morning I tried to access my email (via Windows Live mail) like I usually do only to get an error logging into my fastmail account. I was told to log in via the web page to see the problem, when I tried to do this I was greeted with a Login Disabled, contact support message.

I have raised a ticked via the support page, but have yet to have that ticket even acknowledged. I am now getting a bit frustrated as I am without access to my email account and nothing appears to be being done about it.

I would expect this from one of the freely available web email accounts, but not from a paid for email account.

Any help or pointers on how I can contact the support team would be appreciated.
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Feb 2014, 12:20 AM   #2
EdinwolfPA
Cornerstone of the Community

Hello,

What time was it when you created the support ticket?

Use this as a reference:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=152

PS. There is limited FM tech support on the weekends and sometimes your FM account level can be a factor as well when it comes to getting support

Post your FM Support Ticket Number on the Forum and someone MAY see it

David
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2014, 12:45 AM   #3
Sundog

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Ticket Id: 428373
Raised: Fri, 14 Feb 6:18 AM (GMT)

I assume from the link in your reply that fastmail are based in Melbourne, which I didn't realise, therefore I guess local time would have seen the ticket raised at 5:18 PM.

I can understand the limited tech support, however I still believe something as fundamental as account access should receive prompt action and not rely on the level of your account.

Thanks again for reply.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 04:08 AM   #4
badcherry

Login disabled

I am in the same boat. My login has been disabled since Thursday afternoon, and I am getting frustrated since I can't access my account and my support ticket is being ignored. It has been 4 days!
Are there troubles on their end that I don't know about, or am I just being ignored?
badcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2014, 04:59 AM   #5
Sundog

I did get a ticket update yesterday claiming my account had been hacked and used to spam emails and cause server congestion.

The tone of the ticket update was that it was a fault at my end and my PC had been compromised by a virus, I have run a deep scan with my AV software and downloaded and run all three programs suggested in the ticket and nothing was found.

I have updated the ticket with the information that was requested and that was the last I have heard so far. No ticket update from Fastmail and still no access to my account.

I have been with Fastmail for a long time now and never had any problems, however if this is their idea of support I am not sure I will continue with them. It is only the thought of all the trouble involved in changing email address that has prevented me from opening a new one with a different company already.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 09:08 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

See:
Stolen accounts at FM
Email sending delays...

My guess is that your Fastmail password was in some way compromised. Were you using a long random password? Did you ever log in from any computer or device which might have been compromised? If your password isn't long (or if you logged in on any device or PC which had a virus) your password could be obtained by a spammer. Another method is the recent phishing emails to some Fastmail members, which falsely claimed to be from support. Fastmail will never send you an email asking you to click on a special link or reply with your login credentials. Always go directly to the Fastmail https://www.fastmail.fm website directly to log in.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2014, 10:01 AM   #7
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I would just add to what Bill has said with one other point. It is very tempting to sign up for many different services with the same password, The problem is that if any of these services is compromised, an attacker may be able to use the single service to attack other services you use.

For Fastmail: I think you should consider disabling sending of emails (and possibly connection from external mail clients) in this situation rather than completely disabling the account. This should provide adequate protection to Fastmail while having much less dire consequences for users. For some, this kind of total lock out for several days can be disastrous.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2014, 01:21 PM   #8
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
It is only the thought of all the trouble involved in changing email address that has prevented me from opening a new one with a different company already.
This exactly is one (of many) reasons why one should use a private domain or a service like pobox as an emailaddress for life.
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2014, 02:42 PM   #9
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinwolfPA View Post
Post your FM Support Ticket Number on the Forum and someone MAY see it
David
I know that this approach is sometimes necessary to get FM support's attention, but it seems to me that there ought to be a more structured and formalized way for a customer who obviously needs serious support to get prompt service.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2014, 07:09 PM   #10
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Webmail via this works good for me.
https://www.fastmail.fm/
drew is offline   Reply With Quote