EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Oct 2021, 07:33 AM   #1
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Calendar Hard to See for Colorblind Folks

I'm partially colorblind, and have serious issues seeing calendar entries; particularly those that span multiple days (as there aren't any words). I have no problems with seeing my events in Google Calendar as they use white letters on colored backgrounds, and not same color family text on same color family background as in FM. And for multiple day events, the colors Google uses are much darker, and therefore easier to see on a white background.

I know I'm in the minority -- I'm assuming most FM users are not colorblind -- so I wouldn't necessarily request a complete feature change. But I am curious if anyone has developed a Stylish/CSS (or whatever) profile that makes the calendar entries more visible.

TIA!
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Oct 2021, 11:16 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Editing a calendar to change the color

Fastmail allows you to edit the colors of your calendars. Here are the directions when viewing on a PC with a browser. I used Firefox to develop these steps:
  • When viewing your calendar, click the top button to the right of "+ New Event". The button you click will be labeled "All Calendars" or the name of the single calendar you are viewing.
  • At the bottom of the pull-down menu which appears, click "Create or edit calendars".
  • You will then see a list of your local calendars and subscriptions (using links to iCal files). This might include other email series, such as a Google calendar.
  • Click "Edit & Share" at the right for the calendar whose color and/or name you want to change. You will then see these choices in the Edit screen:
    • Name: This allows you to change the name of the calendar and the color. Using the drop-down menu you can select one of 20 standard colors, or use Custom... to enter a hex color code. See: Hexadecimal color code calculator
    • Publish: .ics file allowing you to share your calendar (read-only) with anyone, optionally including free/busy information.
    • Team sharing: Useful if you have a multi-person Fastmail account.
    • You can also delete the calendar.
    • Be sure to click Save at the bottom to keep any changes made on this screen.
  • Use the "Back to Calendar" button (below the Settings button in the upper left) to return to your normal calendar view.
You should be able to get any contrasting color you wish using these editing features.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2021, 08:43 PM   #3
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks, Bill. The custom colors do help multi-day events stand out slightly better, but it doesn't change the situation of, for example, blue text on darker blue background or yellow text on darker yellow background. I'm shade deficient, so most combinations are extremely difficult to see (if at all).
Old 29 Oct 2021, 05:45 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

In Settings>Preferences, have you tried each of the 5 display color themes?
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2021, 11:07 PM   #5
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
In Settings>Preferences, have you tried each of the 5 display color themes?
Yeah, the dark theme helps quite a bit, which is great for the calendar. But I don't care for it when viewing email. (Too bad we can't have different themes for the different "applications".)
Old 3 Nov 2021, 06:48 AM   #6
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Yeah, the dark theme helps quite a bit,
The browser I use (Pale Moon) isn't 'chromium based' so I can't use any of the supplied themes. The Fastmail UI tells me I need to update my browser, which isn't actually true. I just need to use a browser which doesn't follow web specs too closely and allows 'updated' browsers to skirt by. Since I refuse to use another browser, I just use the Fastmail light theme (or whatever the default is called) and an add-on that lets me choose whether to use 'a simple stylesheet' or an 'inverted color mode'.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2021, 01:01 AM   #7
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
and an add-on that lets me choose whether to use 'a simple stylesheet' or an 'inverted color mode'.
What's the add-on you use, Bruce?
Old 4 Nov 2021, 01:10 AM   #8
somdcomputerguy

Swarth. It modifies web pages to use a dark color scheme or based on the user's preferences.

- Bruce
Old 11 Nov 2021, 05:42 AM   #9
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

So for anyone interested (that has this problem in the future), I ended up going with Dark Reader. Makes a huge difference. Thanks!
Old 11 Nov 2021, 06:17 AM   #10
somdcomputerguy

I have Dark Reader installed in Edge, even though I rarely use that browser. I use Night Light, which is basically a blue light filter, on my phone.

- Bruce