EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Sep 2006, 02:14 AM   #1
dado96

So Who Else Is Going To Drop Fastmail

This is seriously annoying... The worse thing they can do is not have any communication with any of their users. I paid good money and have 5 premium accounts with them, and it seems that the paying customers get shafted. I for one will be dropping them and moving my mail and my other customers emails over to a different provider. Can you imagine yahoo or hotmail having a problem like this?
dado96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Sep 2006, 02:28 AM   #2
alistair234

Re: So Who Else Is Going To Drop Fastmail

Quote:
Originally posted by dado96
This is seriously annoying... The worse thing they can do is not have any communication with any of their users. I paid good money and have 5 premium accounts with them, and it seems that the paying customers get shafted. I for one will be dropping them and moving my mail and my other customers emails over to a different provider. Can you imagine yahoo or hotmail having a problem like this?
For all you know dado96 Hotmail or yahoo could've had this problem in the past but at least fastmail display the faults. I don't think Yahoo or Hotmail would ever dream of displaying their faults. I for one will be sticking with fastmail through thick and thin no matter what happens as I think fastmail IS one of the best E-Mail providers around.
alistair234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2006, 02:30 AM   #3
biffbulkie
Essential Contributor

Re: Re: So Who Else Is Going To Drop Fastmail

Quote:
Originally posted by alistair234
For all you know dado96 Hotmail or yahoo could've had this problem in the past but at least fastmail display the faults. I don't think Yahoo or Hotmail would ever dream of displaying their faults. I for one will be sticking with fastmail through thick and thin no matter what happens as I think fastmail IS one of the best E-Mail providers around.
Yahoo and Hotmail have had these problems in the past BUT you never notice it.
biffbulkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2006, 02:47 AM   #4
alistair234

Re: Re: Re: So Who Else Is Going To Drop Fastmail

Quote:
Originally posted by biffbulkie
Yahoo and Hotmail have had these problems in the past BUT you never notice it.
so if Yahoo or Hotmail has had these problem in the past, why is everyone making a BIG deal out of it now with fastmail.
alistair234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2006, 02:50 AM   #5
njlieckfeldt

Re: Re: Re: Re: So Who Else Is Going To Drop Fastmail

Quote:
Originally posted by alistair234
so if Yahoo or Hotmail has had these problem in the past, why is everyone making a BIG deal out of it now with fastmail.
Possibly because Hotmail and Yahoo have redundancy built in and that's why users wouldn't have noticed it? Unlike Fastmail?
njlieckfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2006, 02:56 AM   #6
memac

I know several people who use Hotmail and Yahoo (I use Yahoo myself now and then) and I've never heard of a multi-day outage for a large number of people. I have heard of multi-hour outages, and those always seem to become stories at the online news sites.
memac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2006, 03:56 AM   #7
fwalther

fastmail shills

Baaaaloney. Yahoo & Gmail have NEVER had anything like this happen
fwalther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2006, 03:59 AM   #8
joker

yahoo has actually.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2006, 04:12 AM   #9
fwalther

Not like this

Yahoo has NEVER been down for 3 days. Never
fwalther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2006, 04:15 AM   #10
gpdoyon

Quote:
Originally posted by memac
I know several people who use Hotmail and Yahoo (I use Yahoo myself now and then) and I've never heard of a multi-day outage for a large number of people. I have heard of multi-hour outages, and those always seem to become stories at the online news sites.
You might want to do a simple Google search for "Gmail outage", "Yahoo email outage" or "Hotmail outage". All these services have tens of thousands of users. Just because you don't know of someone whose exeprienced a problems does not mean an outage hasn't effected someone else.

Case in point, no one I know has had Fastmail problems in the last several days. My account, and my daughter's, has been working fine.

Google has had some serious problems....especially with losing peoples mail.
gpdoyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2006, 04:29 AM   #11
groentje82

I'd agree that problems are everywhere... but still:
paying 20 dollars for 600 MB per year, compared to a FREE gmail with 2,7 GB (and counting).

I'd be more wiling to accept this outages if I wasn't paying for something... I'd expect a payed account to have a backup of some sort...

I would appreciate some sort of compensation at least...
groentje82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2006, 04:40 AM   #12
NJSS
Master of the @

I have an account with HotMail: I have been affected by a number of outages, some for more than 24 hours.

http://tinyurl.com/55jcq

http://tinyurl.com/lhl5r

I shall be sticking to FastMail, with POBox & redirection.

I hope however that FM learns from this outage.
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2006, 04:44 AM   #13
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by NJSS

I shall be sticking to FastMail, with POBox & redirection.

I hope however that FM learns from this outage.
I will be doing the same. Not relying on Fastmail (although it is a super service) is a lesson I learned three years ago now.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2006, 04:48 AM   #14
groentje82

Must admit I've been using Gmail as a backup... but unfortunetally that does not help me in this case to receive any new email!

Will stick to fastmail too for sure...
groentje82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2006, 04:55 AM   #15
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by groentje82
Must admit I've been using Gmail as a backup... but unfortunetally that does not help me in this case to receive any new email!

Will stick to fastmail too for sure...
I am interested in knowing if those users who are forwarding their mail to Gmail (who are without service at fastmail) are receiving mail at Gmail. You would think that if the IMAP server (that their Fastmail account is hosted on) is down that their mail would still be forwarded to Gmail.
David is offline   Reply With Quote