EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Mar 2017, 03:50 PM   #16
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

So I can leave my other accounts alone? I have to make a new one, right?
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2017, 04:14 PM   #17
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I think just sign up to your news letters using that address, Fastmail will forward the replies to your mailbox.
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2017, 02:54 AM   #18
lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
This was the reply from support:

"I am sorry for the inconveniences caused. To investigate the issue further could you please re-register with the email address: subscribe((at))jgranney.fastmail.fm and let us know if you can receive the newsletters."

Does he mean to create a separate account entirely? A separate address just for newsletters?
noclue: I recommend you go back and edit this post, changing your email address perhaps as I did in the quote, so that it is not available to spammers' robots which scan billions of web pages looking for anything that appears to be an email address.

In relation to your question, I would guess that your email address at Fastmail, or one of your aliases there, is jgranney((at))fastmail.fm. This allows you to receive email at anything((at))jgranney.fastmail.fm. Look in Fastmail help pages for "subdomain addressing". That is not a separate account, just a different address which delivers to your existing account.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2017, 05:23 PM   #19
noclue

Thanks for the advice, lane. I never would have thought of that. I guess spammers/hackers can go anywhere they want nowadays.

I am guessing that I will need tor re-subscribe to those newsletters after I get the new account set up. I hope I don't have to ask for any more help, but my username isn't "noclue" for nothing!

Thank you everyone for helping me with this. I will let you know if it works.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 11:00 PM   #20
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I am guessing that I will need tor re-subscribe to those newsletters after I get the new account set up. I hope I don't have to ask for any more help, but my username isn't "noclue" for nothing!
Read carefully. You don't need to set up a new account at FM. Subdomain addressing works out of the box. Just modify your subscription address of the newletters.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2017, 11:42 PM   #21
chickadee

You don't need a new account, noclue. Subdomain addressing is part of every FastMail account. See the following:

https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/addressing.html

Say your account is foo(AT)fastmail.fm. If you set up the subdomain address
subscribe(AT)foo.fastmail.fm, then all mail sent to that address will be put into your FastMail "subscribe" folder--if you have one--automatically. If you don't have a "subscribe" folder, all mail sent to that subdomain address will be put into your FastMail Inbox--automatically.

If you wish, you can use any number of subdomain addresses. For example:

newsletter1(AT)foo.fastmail.fm

newsletter2(AT)foo.fastmail.fm

and so forth

Oh, I see that Berenburger beat me to the punch about not needing a new account.

Last edited by chickadee : 1 Apr 2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: corrected spelling of "noclue"
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2017, 05:17 PM   #22
noclue

That will be an adventure for me, Berenburger. I am not clever with these kinds of things! As I understand it, I am to essentially delete my newsletters folders (some of which are still active; the ones I still get are the old ones, before whatever happened to FM), create a new folder with the "subscribe......" fastmail address, and then notify all of the newsletters I subscribe to of my new address. Is that correct?
Old 1 Apr 2017, 05:38 PM   #23
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
That will be an adventure for me, Berenburger. I am not clever with these kinds of things! As I understand it, I am to essentially delete my newsletters folders (some of which are still active; the ones I still get are the old ones, before whatever happened to FM), create a new folder with the "subscribe......" fastmail address, and then notify all of the newsletters I subscribe to of my new address. Is that correct?
There should be no need to delete anything. Also, initially, I would not bother creating any new folders. Just, as support recommended, use the email address they specified for your newsletters. If all goes well, I would assume they will start to arrive in your Inbox. Once you confirm they are being sent and received, you can see about setting up folders and filing Rules (to stop them clogging up the Inbox) but that can wait.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2017, 03:22 PM   #24
noclue

I am immensely dense about this. Do I use the "alias" instructions?
Old 2 Apr 2017, 06:03 PM   #25
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

NO do nothing except use the new address for your news letters, Fastmail will do the rest.

Last edited by Terry : 2 Apr 2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Checked my spelling but its ok for english but not us english
Old 2 Apr 2017, 07:00 PM   #26
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I am immensely dense about this. Do I use the "alias" instructions?
Reread a few times what Bill wrote earlier If you already have an account name or alias like JaneDoe@fastmail.fm, you automatically have these additional email addresses
  • JaneDoe+whatever@fastmail.fm (this is known as "plus addressing")
  • whatever@JaneDoe.fastmail.fm (this is known as "subdomain addressing")
  • some even more extreme examples which you should not need
You do not need aliases setup to be able to use these additional addresses. You get them for free.

To help your own understanding of this, send yourself a few emails (replacing JaneDoe@fastmial.fm with your own account name) to addresses like JaneDoe+GettingABetterIdea@fastmail.fm and NoLongerClueLess@JaneDoe.fastmail.fm
Try the specific address support is recommending you use to subscribe to newsletters as one of your tests. In most cases, all these messages will arrive in your Inbox.

Support is simply recommending that you use subdomain addressing to construct an email address for the purpose of subscribing to newsletters. My advice is to follow what they say exactly, without adding any additional steps you imagine could be necessary.
Old 5 Apr 2017, 05:58 AM   #27
noclue

I looked under "aliases" in my account just to see what was there. My three FM addresses were listed there. There was no place to create a new address, but when I clicked on "edit" beside one of the addresses I had no intention of editing, I saw a place to add a new alias. So I did want support wanted me to and added the "subscribe" address. I am still waiting for it to show up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then I went to "domains" where I found out that my plan does not support custom domains. I pay approximately $20 a year. I think we may be close to the real issue. Maybe the problem is money.

Last edited by noclue : 5 Apr 2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old 5 Apr 2017, 06:57 AM   #28
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Send me a private message with your email address and the exact email address support asked you to use (so I can confirm it uses subdomain addressing).

I will send you an email that hopefully will help you understand what is happening.
Old 5 Apr 2017, 08:16 AM   #29
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

All she needs to do is just use that email address for her news letters how hard is that...just do it.
Old 5 Apr 2017, 04:22 PM   #30
noclue

Terry, I already have a separate address for my newsletters. The problem is that they quit coming altogether. I have contacted a few of the organizations, and the problem is not on their end. That's how this whole thing got started. Something changed with FastMail. I am asking for a work around.