EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Feb 2015, 10:45 PM   #1
Fontane

Personal domain in separate inbox

Hi, I set up my personal domain with Fastmail and it seems to work. When I receive an email at my domain address, it arrives in my Fastmail inbox. However, there is no separation between Fastmail emails and personal domain emails. Is there a way to separate the inbox's for my fastmail and personal domain emails?
Thanks!
Fontane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Feb 2015, 10:48 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Setting -> Define Rules
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2015, 07:23 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Using Virtual Domains alias targets

I assume you mean you have a Fastmail Enhanced or above account level and have a Virtual Domain set up. If your Fastmail account address was jcitizen @ fastmail.com (remove spaces I have added to email addresses below):
  • On the Advanced>Virtual Domains screen you can control where messages sent to aliases at your domain are delivered.
  • New messages sent to your domain can be delivered to your Fastmail account main Inbox, any folder or subfolder at your Fastmail account, and/or to an external email destination (redirection).
  • If you wish to deliver messages sent to any address at your domain to a certain destination, set the Virtual Domain screen Name column entry to the wildcard * and the Target to the desired local account (with optional +plus folder addressing) or external account address. Place a comma between target addresses. The messages will be sent to all of these targets.
  • If the target is of the form jcitizen+* @ fastmail.com, then the alias will be used for the wildcard in the target. A similar targeting feature is used for subdomain addresses.
  • To deliver to your main account Inbox, use a target of jcitizen @ fastmail.com.
  • To deliver to a specific fixed folder, use a target of jcitizen+folder @ fastmail.com. To deliver to a subfolder, use a target of jcitizen+folder.subfolder @ fastmail.com.
  • To deliver to a folder name matching the alias, use a wildcard name and a target of jcitizen+* @ fastmail.com.
  • To deliver to a subfolder name matching the alias, use a wildcard name and a target of jcitizen+folder.* @ fastmail.com.
  • If you want to use subdomain aliases (anything @ alias.yourdomain.xxx), you need to be sure that you have an entry in your domain DNS records with an MX entry of *.yourdomain.xxx pointing to the Fastmail MX server. If you are using the Fastmail Custom DNS page to control your domain DNS, set an entry with * in Sub with type MX and data STANDARD_MX.
I hope that isn't too confusing! The point is that you can set the delivery target of your wildcard * entry (or a specific alias) to any folder at your Fastmail account you wish.
  • So you could set up a new folder named "Mydomain" in the Advanced>Folders screen with a sort priority one lower or higher than the sort priority for your Inbox folder (so the new folder appears directly above or below your Inbox in the webmail display). All messages sent to your domain could be targeted to that new folder.
  • Or you could set up aliases at your domain to be delivered to another folder or even another account.
  • If you want to file incoming messages to certain folders based on the From address, subject, or message body, you of course can use filing rules. But I recommend that you use alias targets to file incoming messages by default into certain folders.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2015, 05:52 AM   #4
Fontane

Thank you for the replies. I will play with those settings and see how it goes. I appreciate you time and effort!
Fontane is offline   Reply With Quote