EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 6 Apr 2011, 12:27 AM   #1
arose

Goodbye MyRealBox

Perhaps it is just as well, but I'm still sad to see MyRealBox.com go away.

Quote:
MyRealbox News
April 3, 2011

NOTICE: We would like to sincerely thank everyone for their support of MyRealBox through the years. On June 1st, 2011, MyRealBox.com will be discontinued as a service to the public. After that date you will no longer be able to use myrealbox.com email addresses. Please ensure that you notify your contacts of a new email address. To continue following the growth of NetMail we look forward to seeing you at http://community.netmail.com.

Thank You,
The MyRealBox Support Team
arose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Apr 2011, 04:56 AM   #2
Nikolaos
Essential Contributor

Once again I find myself grateful to the EmailDiscussions community. I pop those accounts and hardly ever visit the website itself, so I wouldn't have known about this until it was too late if not for this post. Can't believe they didn't send out notification emails. Hardly any free providers left from the old boom days now. Sad indeed!

Thanks for the heads up, arose
Nikolaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2011, 02:25 AM   #3
shadowfox781

Red face Going . . . Going . . . Gone.

I just saw the message posted on the MyRealBox web site about 2 hours ago. I was like . I was visiting the site because I was looking for help pages about the M+ Guardian, which has been a pain in my neck since MyRealBox installed it. I was not able to find any help pages about the M+ Guardian.

Just like Nikolaos, I POP3 this account every day but hardly ever visit the website. I am also surprised that they have not sent out any notification e-mails. In fact, when I read the message that they were shutting down, I went back to my inbox for my MyRealBox account and double-checked my messages just to make sure that I didn't miss it by accident.

I have been using MyRealBox for 9 years, and other than the M+ Guardian, I can honestly say that the service has been extremely reliable for me. I am sad to see it go.

I certainly hope they do the right thing and send out notification e-mails to all of their customers to let them know what is going on.
shadowfox781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2011, 01:08 AM   #4
Shelded

Yes, a sad thing.

As my first IMAP mail experience (except maybe Pine), MRB holds a special place in my history but if reliability had been what I liked them for I would never have left for Runbox, Mochamail, and Fastmail. That was many years ago so I'm sure the product has been very different.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2011, 04:46 AM   #5
bramhall
Essential Contributor

Why is this thread sticky?
bramhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Shelded

I stickied this
because MRB is apparently not mailiing an announcement to its users,
and due to the closure date being yet some time off and
because some MRB user may see this here first. I do not expect it to have daily commentary and otherwise stay visible
Old 15 Apr 2011, 03:40 PM   #7
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Unhappy Mrb

Although I stopped using MRB years ago because of its too frequent down times and limited options, I still enjoyed its ad free interface and calming neutral gray inbox view; a break from the busy, java script, banner ad-ridden traffic jam of most other email services free or paid. Is there still an ad free free email service left in 2011? The only ones left that I know of are legacy accounts closed to new registrations.
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2011, 01:46 AM   #8
pr472

Ad-free zoho mail

My zoho mail account is ad-free. Plus, it has several apps "attached" to it: import links, wiki, etc.

I have been using zoho mail for several years now, and I like it very much.
pr472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Nikolaos
Essential Contributor

the smallest account on lavabit is also ad-free

just to stay on topic: it's kind of sad that hardly anyone has commented on MRB's shutdown. i know it died a slow lingering death over the years, but now that The End is finally here, it seems no one is left to care. what a pity
Nikolaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2011, 11:47 AM   #10
music4praise

MyRealBox was my main email account for 7-8 years (until 2005). I still prefer their web interface to nearly anyone else. I'm glad I was gone before the big meltdown late 2006. I lost some archived stuff that made me sad.
music4praise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2011, 11:59 AM   #11
Shelded

It was the first time I was aware of CSS. How odd, how the screen blew up into position like a balloon.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 01:02 AM   #12
arose

spam free

I haven't gotten a single piece of spam on MRB since the announcement. Either the spammers got the notice, or they've done something to M+ Guardian to quietly toss junk.

Quite a change from the days where my MRB mailbox was so overwhelmed with Russian language spam that it wasn't usable.
arose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2011, 06:46 AM   #13
philtec

Unhappy The notice has been sent.

Received today 4-21-2011

The date on the email received is Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:34 PM

Does this mean it was written a month ago, and just sent today?

Or, did it just sit in cyberspace for a month?

Dear MyRealBox User:

We would like to sincerely thank everyone for their support of MyRealBox through the years. On June 1st, 2011, MyRealBox.com will be discontinued as a service to the public. After that date you will no longer be able to use your myrealbox.com email addresses. Please ensure that you notify your contacts of a new email address. To continue following the growth of NetMail we look forward to seeing you at http://community.netmail.com.

Last edited by philtec : 22 Apr 2011 at 06:52 AM.
philtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2011, 08:25 AM   #14
Shelded

Hey I suppose you know how to read the headers to answer that question?

If you sign up at the community.netmail.com address I wonder if they have another mail system there you can subscribe to? or is it just discussion?
Old 22 Apr 2011, 09:48 AM   #15
Mike Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtec View Post
Received today 4-21-2011
The date on the email received is Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:34 PM
Does this mean it was written a month ago, and just sent today?
Just got it today with the same date and time and scurried over here for the inside scoop.
I'm afraid I'm too cynical and think this is their way of giving us a month's notice: by backdating the email.

Liked it when it was run by Novell, actually.
Mike Blake is offline   Reply With Quote