EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 24 Feb 2023, 12:08 AM   #1
Spezzer

Free email host for domain

I have a domain and email which has been hosted by one.com for years. Now that things are getting (inexplicably) more expensive I am trying to save a bit of money. On the email front I was hoping to move to somewhere like google or outlook and just pay to keep my domain alive so I can carry on using it for my email.

My first idea was to find something less expensive. Since I already have a MS Office365 account I figured why not move it there. Unfortunately I cannot move my domain to MS unless it is a business account. So I took a look at that, updated DNS, trialled it, and seems to work pretty well. Then I realised it is not charged per month, but per user per month so that suddenly tripled in price with our 3 domain user names.

Google is a similar story and requires a business account. With the google setup I failed miserably and could not get it to work.

Then I took at look at 'top 10 free hosts' and found Soho which promised free email hosting. I got to the checkout and the bill was $20. I know its not much but if that's a trial price then I'll probably end up looking around again 12 months.

So, I am now at the point where my one.com DNS entries are still sending email to MS and my trial expires 3rd March (with option to extend trial by 30 days).

Sorry about the long story but felt the context was important.

Any advice on how to keep my domain for email and get free email hosting?

Thanks for reading!
Spezzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Feb 2023, 01:00 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Zoho offers free domain email with I think up to 5 mailboxes. Unfortunately, there is no POP or IMAP access so you will have to use their webmail and apps. Purelymail would do it with more options for only $10 per year--multiple domains, multiple boxes, IMAP, etc.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2023, 03:16 AM   #3
malcontent
Essential Contributor

Gandi.net domain register offers free email hosting. You would have to transfer your domain over to their service. Imap, pop, webmail.

https://www.gandi.net/en-US/domain/email
malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2023, 03:26 PM   #4
Avion

Cloudflare Email Routing, to a Gmail account may be suitable for you. However, you would have to send from your Gmail email address, but you could change the 'reply-to' address to your domain email address.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2023, 09:06 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
However, you would have to send from your Gmail email address, but you could change the 'reply-to' address to your domain email address.
You can send email from Gmail using one of your aliases at your domain using this workaround and the Google smtp server. It works pretty well, but if someone wants to examine the code they can find out your actual Gmail address, but most people will just see your domain address at the top of their email.

https://support.google.com/domains/answer/9437157
Old 24 Feb 2023, 09:27 PM   #6
mf1941
Essential Contributor

This service is very solid & may meet your needs?

https://25mail.st/
mf1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2023, 03:47 AM   #7
Spezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Zoho offers free domain email with I think up to 5 mailboxes. Unfortunately, there is no POP or IMAP access so you will have to use their webmail and apps. Purelymail would do it with more options for only $10 per year--multiple domains, multiple boxes, IMAP, etc.
Purelymail sounds like an option - I will check it out.
Thanks
Old 25 Feb 2023, 03:51 AM   #8
Spezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
Gandi.net domain register offers free email hosting. You would have to transfer your domain over to their service. Imap, pop, webmail.

https://www.gandi.net/en-US/domain/email
Free? Definitely of interest. A quick look at the no-nonsense site looks promising.
Thanks!
Old 25 Feb 2023, 03:51 AM   #9
Spezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avion View Post
Cloudflare Email Routing, to a Gmail account may be suitable for you. However, you would have to send from your Gmail email address, but you could change the 'reply-to' address to your domain email address.
Trying to keep it simple. I already ran into google problems.
Thanks!
Old 25 Feb 2023, 03:54 AM   #10
Spezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf1941 View Post
This service is very solid & may meet your needs?

https://25mail.st/
Looking at their tariffs, I've got a few Gbs of email to transfer so could tot up. Thanks for suggestion.
Old 25 Feb 2023, 05:06 AM   #11
Spezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzer View Post
Purelymail sounds like an option - I will check it out.
Thanks
I like the feel of this one. No nonsense. All set up and running in 30 mins. Plenty of DNS help. Option for priority support which I didn't need. Good call.
Thanks
Old 27 Feb 2023, 04:40 AM   #12
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Look at the new basic Microsoft office / one drive hosting. That’s domain email on the same system, as office for around £2 a month it’s very good value for that side.
jdtaylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2023, 05:19 AM   #13
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Look at the new basic Microsoft office / one drive hosting. That’s domain email on the same system, as office for around £2 a month it’s very good value for that side.
It doesn't include domain email. http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=79375
Old 27 Feb 2023, 06:33 AM   #14
TenFour
Master of the @

PolarisMail is another solid offering with their Basic plan being only $1 per month. https://www.polarismail.com/