EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Sep 2023, 06:08 PM   #1
NJSS
Master of the @

POBox.Com is DOWN

Just checked:- https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/pobox.com.html

and POBox.Com is down.

POBox suggest using Twitter to check status - but that is useless if you don't have a Twitter account.

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Sep 2023, 06:49 PM   #2
NJSS
Master of the @

Glad to say it's back up again now.

NJSS
Old 29 Sep 2023, 07:45 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

From X/Twitter:
Quote:
We are seeing DDoS attacks against our infrastructure. Some customers might be experiencing interrupted access to Pobox services. We're looking into it.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2023, 10:07 PM   #4
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSS View Post
POBox suggest using Twitter to check status - but that is useless if you don't have a Twitter account.
Well, why not create one?

You don't have to use it very often. I read a few people's feeds every few days. I use a proper browser on a laptop, not an app, and go to bookmarked links for the feeds I choose to look at. Until login became necessary (a month or two ago) I logged in maybe twice per year, and posted my own tweets even less than that.

Previously, without logging in, feeds I read had hardly any ads, now I see more ... but it's the only way [as far as I know] to see the feeds concerned.

Even with the ads, I'm not having tweets pushed at me (which I suspect is what happens if you use the app and "follow" lots of other people's feeds). When I visit someone's Twitter page I just scroll back through whatever's posted there until I reach posts that I saw <n> days ago, then read all the newer stuff.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2023, 11:44 PM   #5
odedp
Master of the @

Have not noticed any problem all day long
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2023, 07:50 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Later yesterday I saw this on X/Twitter:
Quote:
The DDoS attacks against our infrastructure ceased and any degradation in service have been resolved. We are continuing to monitor for future DDoS attacks. No mail has been lost. Thank you for your patience as we worked to resolve this.
POBox.com seems to get short shrift as part of the Fastmail family. There is a Fastmail status page that doesn't seem to have reported these attacks. https://fastmailstatus.com/ Shouldn't that page include POBox.com? Plus, nobody has bothered to update the POBox.com page on "How to get notifications of outages." "Twitter" has officially been X for quite some time now.

Last edited by TenFour : 30 Sep 2023 at 07:56 PM.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2023, 10:15 PM   #7
NJSS
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Well, why not create one?
Zulfikar Ramzan, chief scientist of data protection company Aura says:-

"Account impersonation is fairly simple, and that makes Twitter the biggest security risk in social media today - 23 Feb 2023"

That's a good enough reason for me to avoid Twitter.

I use POBox & FM for reasons of security, and am very disappointed that POBox doesn't have a status page like FM.

NJSS
Old 1 Oct 2023, 04:25 AM   #8
Bamb0
Master of the @

Its sad sites all over the net have to be hit with these attacks
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2023, 01:37 AM   #9
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSS View Post
Zulfikar Ramzan, chief scientist of data protection company Aura says:-

"Account impersonation is fairly simple, and that makes Twitter the biggest security risk in social media today - 23 Feb 2023"

If you create an account just to read other people's content, how would anyone else know of your account in order to impersonate it?

I find that a lot of local bodies - eg the local council, the Police, only have uptothe minute status info on Twitter, not their own website ... and have their Twitter feeds bookmarked for that reason. It's not good that one now has to login to read it though. As I have a separate email address & password for every site I use I don't see much risk.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote