EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 23 Aug 2013, 05:44 AM   #1
RunboxCustomer

Mass Exodus from U.S. Email Providers?

With it now being common knowledge that essentially no U.S. based email provider can provide any degree of privacy and often, as in the case of Google, have no respect for user's privacy, does anyone anticipate a mass exodus from using U.S. based email providers?

Personally, I view the general public as ignorant sheep who will likely remain oblivious to the situation while a few of the more intelligent, tech savvy types will opt for an off shore service or use PGP.

DIscuss...
RunboxCustomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Aug 2013, 06:58 AM   #2
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

I agree with your conjecture: people concerned about concealing their communications, for practical or political reasons, will go out of their way to find ways to conceal their communications, while others will not.

But where do you see that Google has "no respect for user privacy?" Do you have any evidence that they violated their own privacy policy?

I do know that Google has warned that e-mail senders have no expectation of privacy in communication, but that is because of potential insecure transfers and government surveillance. But they have not said that they violate their own privacy policies.

Sure, Google may not have as much respect for user secrecy as you would like, but does that mean they have "no respect for user privacy.?"

I think not.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2013, 10:38 AM   #3
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
I like google and gmail, for privacy, who cares that much. No absolute security on internet.
But for non-US email I have gandi.net (FR) and Mail2000.us (RU) as my primary accounts.
jeffpan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2013, 11:37 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

I am addressing the OP here. Personally, I do not believe that there will be a mass exodus from U.S. email providers.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2013, 02:55 PM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunboxCustomer View Post
Personally, I view the general public as ignorant sheep who will likely remain oblivious to the situation while a few of the more intelligent, tech savvy types will opt for an off shore service or use PGP.
Also, the ignorant sheep who consider themselves intelligent, tech savvy types who believe moving accounts offshore will make a difference.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2013, 02:00 AM   #6
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I am addressing the OP here. Personally, I do not believe that there will be a mass exodus from U.S. email providers.
Agreed. There will not be a mass exodus. Maybe a tiny percentage will move, but for the most part, people are too comfortable with all the features and free goodies they get with their current accounts. They will accept the corporate and government platitudes and excuses, and stay where they are.

I know some very liberty-privacy oriented people who are highly educated, and very aware of the news -- many have gmail accounts, for example, and they are appalled at what is happening, and yet, they have done *nothing* to change to a different provider.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2013, 02:15 AM   #7
roberth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
But where do you see that Google has "no respect for user privacy?" Do you have any evidence that they violated their own privacy policy?
The thing is, Gmail's (Google's) 'Privacy Policy' is a total joke when it comes to privacy. See: http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/
No real need to violate their policy as it hardly has the users privacy as the number one concern to start with.

Runbox and even EuMX are much better in this regard, as are many of the other alternatives not hosted in the US.

Will there be a mass exodus? Unlikely, but a portion of society certainly took note. I personally will not be having my email hosted in the States from now and and will be wary of companies that are based in the States.
roberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2013, 03:26 AM   #8
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Privacy concern is very important. But for an average joe / advanced joe, more important question is -

Quote:
How well that service is functioning today?
How well you see the service will function in next days (say 5 years)?
There will be a shift of business and advanced users who have great knowledge about email handling, plus will to pay a small fee for their mailbox. But most of the world's population not. So this portion will not shift unless a shutdown.

For me...I'd rather let Google scan and read(!) my mails than have an empty mailbox in a fine morning.

Last edited by just1acc : 24 Aug 2013 at 12:02 PM.
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2013, 05:30 AM   #9
beeboy

" For me...I'd rather let Google scam and read(!) my mails rather than have an empty mailbox in a fine morning."

Exactly.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2013, 07:12 AM   #10
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Do NOT overestimate the quality of a regular Gmail box!...there are allready thousands of people that were locked out from their own account (including my person) for several days up untill like forever!! And no...they are NOT all spammers or hackers...just normal regular people like you and me. And then...on one day...you can´t get into your own account...just like that. I was very happy I could arrange that I was able to re-enter my account after several days...other people weren´t that lucky....

If you look on this forum (or elsewere on the net) you´ll find reading material on that matter.

just sayin´....

Dutchie.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2013, 08:01 AM   #11
RunboxCustomer

Not to mention the availability of real tech support. That alone is enough to make one go with a smaller but stable and trusted provider.
RunboxCustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2013, 03:42 AM   #12
beeboy

No one really likes the big email services. I'm no fan either.

I know they will be around in five years. Too many lesser known services come and go. I had a lavabit account and what happened there? Lavabit was not that small.

In defense of Gmail, I will say they do provide a higher level of security than many others. As far as being locked out, I have never had this issue and I was an early user. If you access your account via tor or other proxy server software the chances are high you will be locked out.

I would never trust Gmail(or anyone else for that matter) with anything sensitive. I do store some private files which are uploaded or sent encrypted before they leave my machine.

Mass exodus? Not going to happen anytime soon.

It will take a mighty big player to provide us with unquestionable privacy and security for free. For money? Maybe. I wonder if Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc. are thinking of ways to capitalize on the situation.

I know Startmail is making big promises with their upcoming service. If they keep the price low, the security and functionality high, who knows, could be a home run.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2013, 06:27 AM   #13
Tom Gallagher

Mass exodus, don't be silly. Where are you going to go, Russia, China, the European Union...LOL.
Tom Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2013, 03:32 PM   #14
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gallagher View Post
Mass exodus, don't be silly. Where are you going to go, Russia, China, the European Union...LOL.

Thats another (DO NOT USE SWEARING OR PROFANITY ON THIS FORUM) point.
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2013, 02:24 PM   #15
chrisretusn

I'm not even considering switching the accounts I have. Some are US based, some are not. I just don't see the point and I honestly doubt it will make much difference.

From the very beginning, many years ago, when I started using email and the Internet, I have always gone with the concept there is no privacy in email, nor the Internet. I have never expected it and really don't understand why some do expect it. While it is true that today a lot of email travels within a secure layer, but there is no guarantee that all your email will travel from sender to receiver in that layer.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote