EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Jan 2008, 12:59 PM   #1

Undelete trash?

My mother-in-law just accidentally deleted all email in her trash. She meant to delete the spam and hit the wrong link. I can't see any way to undelete it.

As an enhanced FM user, is there some way to submit a support request to have it restored from a backup?
911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Jan 2008, 05:59 PM   #2
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts...#BackupRestore

It doesn't say that being a paid account is required (perhaps it says this elsewhere).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 06:39 PM   #3

Thanks hadaso. So no luck for her, as they don't include the trash folder in the backups.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 06:49 PM   #4
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 View Post
Thanks hadaso. So no luck for her, as they don't include the trash folder in the backups.
Despite seeing it in front of my eyes I didn't even realize that they don't!

Some of us are using trash as an archive, so perhaps it is better to move all our trach to another folder regularly?
Old 29 Jan 2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
Despite seeing it in front of my eyes I didn't even realize that they don't!

Some of us are using trash as an archive, so perhaps it is better to move all our trach to another folder regularly?
I'm glad for this thread - I didn't realize this wasn't included in the backup system, either !
I will use a different folder for now on.
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2008, 01:57 AM   #6
hankfoner
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
I'm glad for this thread - I didn't realize this wasn't included in the backup system, either !
I will use a different folder for now on.
Seems reasonable for FM not to back up a folder called "TRASH". It's great that one can restore the other folders but it seems a bit expensive that one mistaken key stroke should cost do much! Perhaps they could give full and enhanced users one free restore a year or something - it might be a good public relations move as most people would never need it.
Hank
hankfoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2008, 03:19 AM   #7
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankfoner View Post
Seems reasonable for FM not to back up a folder called "TRASH".
Yes, I agree it's foolish to put something I may want to keep in something marked "Trash",
but I continue such behavior

(until today )
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2008, 08:03 AM   #8

From this experiience, my recommendation has been that she create a new folder called "deleted" instead. But it IS easier to just "delete" than to "move to folder > deleted."

Maybe I will keep using "Delete" and once a week move everything there to my new "deleted" folder too. If I lose one week of deleted stuff, I could live with that.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 10:41 PM   #9
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Wouldn't it just be easier to do a backup with IMAPsize or Thunderbird?

(Well, not necessarily easier than copying a folder, but you should back up all folders periodically anyhow..)
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2008, 11:56 PM   #10
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
While I don't like the idea, I understand why people use Trash as an archive, when this is on the advanced screen:

Delete and < Mailbox >

Gmail got it right with the 'Archive' button.

I know you can do it in Fastmail by selecting a folder in the 'Keep Message' dropdown, then using the previous/next links to the right of that dropdown, but it would be easier if we could define the default value of that dropdown instead of having to define it each use. The value is sticky while in a particular folder, but I'd like to be able to set the default value to my 'Archive' folder.

-Jim

Added:

Maybe, for the new interface, we could ask for this:

Go to: < Mailbox > _______________ Delete and: < Mailbox >

to be changed to:

Go to: < Mailbox > _______________ Delete and: < Mailbox > _______________ Archive and < Mailbox >

Where we've defined our 'archive' folder on the Options - Folders screen.

Just an idea...

Last edited by zhak : 31 Jan 2008 at 12:45 AM. Reason: added idea
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2008, 04:25 AM   #11
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I would really like it if deleting worked the IMAP way (by just applying the /Deleted flag and not showing the message unless in some "view Deleted" mode. That would allow "Undeleting" since the messages would be left in their context.
Old 31 Jan 2008, 05:32 PM   #12
pcs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 View Post
For what it's worth (and I don't know if this will be true in your particular case), I've had Fastmail restore messages that were unintentionally deleted from my "trash" folder.
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2008, 09:04 PM   #13
newhampshire

I have a folder called COPY and I redirect a copy of all incoming messages to this folder. Thus I have a linear timeline of all my messages. It is, in effect, a super-archive and because it is not Trash, Fastmail backs it up.

It also help with search as multi-folder search is not implemented. I just search COPY.
newhampshire is offline   Reply With Quote