EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Jan 2008, 05:08 AM   #1
jsgreen

iPhone & Push?

I've read a bunch of threads on this - though the answer is still unclear, so I'll ask it straight out:

Can anyone with an iPhone and Fastmail tell me if they are getting push email to work both while in the mail application, and in the background?

I currently have a Treo and use Chatter - looking at getting an iPhone but if it lacks push email I'll pass and keep using Chatter.

Thanks in Advance,
J
jsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Jan 2008, 04:39 PM   #2
pcs
Essential Contributor

The iPhone really doesn't offer traditional (idle) push e-mail. If you were to use an iPhone in conjunction with fastmail or gmail (or any other provider that offers push e-mail) you still would only get your e-mail approximately once every 15 minutes (the iPhone email application simply doesn't work with push e-mail). Apple has some sort of deal with Yahoo where they are supposedly able to provide near-instant e-mail but this is done through some sort of non proprietary method.

After reading what you've outlined, I would probably stick with chatter and your treo. After using an iPhone for a while now, I think I'm actually going to try switching over to a palm centro (and chatter email).
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2008, 08:53 PM   #3
jsgreen

Thanks for the reply - I will stick w/ Chatter, no push is a deal-breaker for my needs.

If you have any questions regarding using a palm device I'd be happy to help.
jsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote