EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Oct 2007, 11:05 AM   #16
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yes something like that would be nice but I feel we are stuck with it.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 01:31 PM   #17
akorvemaker
Master of the @

I love the idea of the dancing gif. That would be ideal

If not that, I do think the loading page should at least be formatted to look like the main FM interface. Get some blues going or something.
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 06:39 PM   #18
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I cant understand why it has made it slower to load, but testing fastmail, gmail and mail snare they are all about the same now....so its not really fastmail anymore
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 08:52 PM   #19
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post
If not that, I do think the loading page should at least be formatted to look like the main FM interface. Get some blues going or something.
This is a good suggestion.
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 02:51 AM   #20
mgg

Agree... why the redirect?

I've never felt that it was slow, but now that it's redirecting it does *feel* slower, even if it's not.

I'd rather sit in anticipation as my spinning firefox flower-thingy tells me fastmail is loading. This seems clunky.

Thanks.
<M>
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 03:23 AM   #21
Prognathous
Master of the @

I find this extra screen to be annoying - both the one on the beta and the one on the production server. I hope FM will abandon this "improvement".

Prog.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 03:46 AM   #22
pcs
Essential Contributor

I sort of dislike being critical, but I must admit that I agree with the sentiments above. The extra screen is a bit annoying and I do hope that there is someway that Fastmail can discard the extra screen.
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 07:47 AM   #23
InResponse

Additional Page with Login

Per
Quote:
syncing the imap + web folders
is the reason for the additional page during login.

Which would be an improvement for especially new users that were not aware that folders created in an email client had to be synced in the web interface by going to: Options, Folders, Update, Done for those folders to appear in the web interface.

Yes, it would be nice if the change wasn't so obvious but I appreciate the endeavor.
InResponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 09:51 AM   #24
mgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by InResponse View Post
folders created in an email client had to be synced in the web interface
Okay but for those of us who never use email clients at all... can we turn that off so we load faster and don't need the extra screen? (I've been using Fastmail for 5 years, have over 60 folders, three domains, dozens of aliases, and I never ever use a client other than the web)

<M>
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 10:00 AM   #25
InResponse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgg View Post
Okay but for those of us who never use email clients at all... can we turn that off so we load faster and don't need the extra screen? (I've been using Fastmail for 5 years, have over 60 folders, three domains, dozens of aliases, and I never ever use a client other than the web)

<M>
mgg: Great point, very good suggestion!

Rob ??

'No web interface folder refresh' Option ?
InResponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 02:28 AM   #26
zhak
Master of the @

If possible, it might be a good idea to set some internal 0/1 variable to 1 if a user creates a folder using a client. Then at next webmail login, if that variable is a 1, the folder refresh takes place, and the variable is reset to 0. If the variable is 0, no refresh occurs. It seems to be a very large use of cpu resources to refresh every account at every login.
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 03:08 AM   #27
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhak View Post
If possible, it might be a good idea to set some internal 0/1 variable to 1 if a user creates a folder using a client. Then at next webmail login, if that variable is a 1, the folder refresh takes place, and the variable is reset to 0.
Hmm, how would FM know on the login that a folder was created by a client if it doesn't do the refresh of the folders? I thought that was the original problem. The folders don't show up until the user refreshes the folder screen. Or does it know a folder was created but just needs the refesh for it to show? If yes then I think that would be a great idea!

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 03:42 AM   #28
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Hmm, how would FM know on the login that a folder was created by a client if it doesn't do the refresh of the folders? I thought that was the original problem. The folders don't show up until the user refreshes the folder screen.
IIRC, from what Rob has said before, the webmail application interfaces with the IMAP server just like an email client does. So that's why if a folder is created by another client, the web client needs to be refreshed/updated. I would think that they might be able to tell when a client interacts with the IMAP server to create a folder, and set the value of the internal variable then. Then when logging in from the web, the webmail login routine would just check that variable, and reset the variable if a refresh is necessary and done. Since I don't know their code, it may not be possible, but should be possible, in theory.

Added: actually this would be necessary for folder creation/deletion/renaming/movement -- any change to the folder structure.

Last edited by zhak : 22 Oct 2007 at 04:10 AM.
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 06:37 AM   #29
hankfoner
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post

I like these ideas too. I haven't taken a stopwatch to it and in reality it is probably only a few seconds but it seems a long time. It's all psychological and some action would alter one's perspective.
Hank
hankfoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 06:40 AM   #30
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhak View Post
If possible, it might be a good idea to set some internal 0/1 variable to 1 if a user creates a folder using a client. Then at next webmail login, if that variable is a 1, the folder refresh takes place, and the variable is reset to 0. If the variable is 0, no refresh occurs. It seems to be a very large use of cpu resources to refresh every account at every login.
Jim, is this anything we can do on our end, or is this a Rob-thing?
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote