EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Apr 2017, 06:37 AM   #376
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_devore View Post
Here is my support ticket with FastMail on the features request I made

I am beyond disappointed with FastMail
always visible folder counts as (new/total) for me is NEEDED
but they are being impossible about it...
I think one reason why total/unread counts is a difficult one to push through (besides the fact that most people are willing to hover over the folder name if they really want to know) is that people who judge this critical can use existing mechanisms to support this without FastMail needing to do anything. (Stylish). Even if you can point at a burning need to know the total count all the time (such as you immediately archive a folder when it contains 200 rather than 199 messages) it will be seen as a niche requirement, achievable in other ways.

I actually believe there are many (including myself) who like the fact that folders with unread messages stand out (total messages in every folder would slightly obscure this).
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2017, 07:28 AM   #377
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Both the unread and total conversation count for each folder is easily available by simply clicking the Create or edit folders link at the bottom of the folder list. You can have your main Mail screen and the Folders screen opened at the same time in different browser windows or tabs. I can't imagine why someone would be so concerned with the number of total messages in each folder. Fastmail already has quite a few features to deal with folders which are rarely available in other web email services or email clients:
  • You can set the folder properties so that only folders which contain unread messages are shown on the folder tree (along with folders you always want to be visible).
  • Certain folders can be set to automatically permanently delete messages older than a certain number of days.
  • Each folder can be set up to classify messages added to that folder as spam or not spam. This allows email clients to interact with the Fastmail spam filtering system Bayes database.
  • You can set each folder to be associated with a particular identity. This allows you to use a certain identity (From address) when you have that folder open.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2017, 10:29 AM   #378
Bamb0
Master of the @

Yes but thats more confusing than having the #s shown Bill!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_devore
They removed one of FastMail's best features...
Yes im glad I have the totals next to my folders!! (I have custom CSS that has the #s there)

Stupid removing something so basic........
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2017, 12:57 PM   #379
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Yes but thats more confusing than having the #s shown Bill!!

Yes im glad I have the totals next to my folders!! (I have custom CSS that has the #s there)

Stupid removing something so basic........
here here! ;^_^;
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 12:58 AM   #380
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

This thread should be closed. Nothing new has been said for weeks..
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 09:23 AM   #381
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I think they should close the whole forum as what is the point of a Fastmail forum when they don't participate.

Last edited by Terry : 10 Apr 2017 at 09:37 AM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 09:28 AM   #382
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I don't think it should be closed as its nice to vent
Complaining is viral misery. No good comes of it. Viral complainers gain a name for themselves and have virtually no influence. Read a book on negotiation or how to influence people, complaining and venting aren't in it.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 12:58 PM   #383
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yes I agree....but at at the time it makes me feel better....

Another good book is how to win friends and influence people.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 02:30 PM   #384
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
I think they should close the whole forum as what is the point of a Fastmail forum when they don't participate.
Ya its sad when the ppl who run FM dont seem to care..... Seems like they might be closing it totally!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 04:42 PM   #385
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Ya its sad when the ppl who run FM dont seem to care..... Seems like they might be closing it totally!!
They can't. Fastmail is not owning this forum.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2017, 06:59 AM   #386
TenFour
Master of the @

It is not productive for FM or any company to argue on a public forum with a handful of people who don't like some aspect of their product. Any business consultant would recommend FM stay away and let the Internet rant. It is very, very rare when public pressure makes a company change its product, and it will only happen after some extraordinary event creates a huge reaction. Typically companies only hear back from a tiny number of disgruntled customers, and they know that. The vast, silent majority are the people who are satisfied. Companies that react to negative rants on forums must not have much faith in their product design. I am reminded of the negative reactions many had to the first iPhone--who would ever want one of those things without a T9 keypad?!
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2017, 04:35 PM   #387
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

No body is arguing we were trying to show our concern on what is missing in the current UI. Fastmail use to participate on this Forum and it was a two way thing we would explain what we did not like and they would at least look at it or adjust it, but unfortunately over the last few months things seem to have changed as they don't come one here anymore.

I suppose at the end of the day there will be people who will not renew their subscriptions but only about 2% so that wont be any big deal breaker for Fastmail.

We have been with them 14 years and it will be very hard to move away but if we don't like what is being offered then sadly it will be time to move on.

Also we hate buying things in US dollars when the Company is based in Australia as it make out subscriptions a lot more expensive.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 05:13 PM   #388
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I don't understand your argument, Terry. Why would you leave Fastmail just because they won't support some old feature which no other email service supports? If there is another email service which does support showing the read and unread message counts in all folders without using a mouseover or opening another menu (Folders) or some other obscure feature, then go ahead and move to that other service. If no other service or email client supports that feature, you should be able to guess why Fastmail doesn't support it now either. You can't use an analog cellphone any more either, no matter how much you might want to not change.

Change can be good -- just look at the huge number of improvements to the rules and sieve system that Fastmail has made in the past few months. I use the Fastmail Calendar and Notes feature shared with my iPhone and iPad every day, and those two features alone are worth much more to me than every detailed feature in the Classic interface which will no longer be available.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2017, 06:56 PM   #389
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Bill it's not just the folder count.

I usually sign up for 5 years but in that time there has been so many changes some of which I hate and Fastmail have left so many good features out of the current UI, yes some of it is excellent especially the sieve script which I will miss, but as you say we hate change and have now decided to use something very basic.

I use to enjoy using inbox.com as I enjoyed all the nice background themes, Fastmail is way way behind now in this aspect we only have 4 very basic outdated themes. In the old days we use to be able to modify our themes.

Anyway I wont go on as I could fill an A4 page with the changes we don't like but it's not all about what my wife and I like as there are thousands of uses who love the current Fastmail UI.

As I have said many times I don't like buying things in US dollars as the exchange rate kills it when I'm doing 5 years at a time and more than one account.

Thanks for all you help you do an excellent job.....Rob should put you on the pay roll or at least give you a free account....
Old 14 Apr 2017, 04:53 AM   #390
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Nobody is arguing we were trying to show our concern on what is missing in the current UI. Fastmail used to participate on this forum, and it was a two-way thing we would explain what we did not like and they would at least look at it or adjust it, but unfortunately over the last few months things seem to have changed as they don't come on here anymore.
I seem to recall Bron said (not to put words in his mouth) he personally didn't like to participate here much anymore because of the barrage of insults from a small minority who wasn't getting its way. At some point, people need to accept the changes or move to a different provider that better meets their needs. The writing has been on the wall about the demise of the classic interface for years. If, in all this time, FM hasn't changed its mind, it's unlikely the company's going to now.

Complaining and venting may make you feel better momentarily, but I suspect many others, including the FM staff, find it tiresome.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote