EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 May 2016, 02:44 PM   #1
Mugwhamp
Cornerstone of the Community

System font just changed on web interface

Anyone else notice this? Appears to be Verdana?
Mugwhamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 May 2016, 02:55 PM   #2
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
It's Source Sans Pro.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 02:56 PM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Yes, has changed.

Source Sans Pro Font?

Edit: robn beat me to it

Last edited by FredOnline : 19 May 2016 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Edit: robn beat me to it
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 03:32 PM   #4
misc
Essential Contributor

There's a little inconsistency associated with the new UI font. It is also used as the default font for the mail body text when composing new mails. In the default style e-mail preferences, it is designated as 'Helvetica' (what was the former UI font) and the sent mail itself doesn't seem to have any font definition, so it uses the receiver's mail client's default font.

Nothing to worry about, but maybe in the preference screen the 'Helvetica' should be replaced with 'Default font'.
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 05:16 PM   #5
rharha

This font looks flimsy and is less readable. Not a fan.
rharha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 06:15 PM   #6
jssrea

Source Sans Pro looks great on OS X. On Windows... Not so much. But that's just my opinion.
jssrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 06:38 PM   #7
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssrea View Post
Source Sans Pro looks great on OS X. On Windows... Not so much. But that's just my opinion.
Hmm, looks smaller on my Surface. But not bad at all.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 07:23 PM   #8
glass

I'm very glad that the font is served from Fastmail's servers and not loaded from GoogleAPIs.

https://i.imgur.com/zGDPcQ7.png
glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 08:25 PM   #9
horatio8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharha View Post
This font looks flimsy and is less readable. Not a fan.
Agree 100% on Chrome with Windows 7 - much less legible than before. "Flimsy" is a nice description. Looks a bit better in iOS on my iPad. I will check on my Macs tonight.

Is there a setting to go back to the previous font? I couldn't find it. Thanks.
horatio8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 08:27 PM   #10
17pm

Is this permanent? I don't like it to be honest. Maybe I will get used to it, but so far, it's a big no.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 10:23 PM   #11
melomac

If your browser allows you to override userstyles, you could always patch the css:

Code:
* {
	font-family: "Helvetica Neue";
}

body {
	font: 13px / 1.5 "-apple-system", "Helvetica Neue", sans-serif;
	text-rendering: optimizeLegibility
}

Last edited by melomac : 19 May 2016 at 10:31 PM.
melomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 11:28 PM   #12
jssrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
There's a little inconsistency associated with the new UI font. It is also used as the default font for the mail body text when composing new mails. In the default style e-mail preferences, it is designated as 'Helvetica' (what was the former UI font) and the sent mail itself doesn't seem to have any font definition, so it uses the receiver's mail client's default font.

Nothing to worry about, but maybe in the preference screen the 'Helvetica' should be replaced with 'Default font'.
Happened to me as well. Go to Mail > Preferences > Writing. In the Default Style section, click on "Clear Formatting".
jssrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 03:02 AM   #13
ioneja

Just came here to find out what happened and here I see this thread. Thank you -- I was worried my computer was hacked. :-) Maybe FM could send out an email letting people know the font has changed and other little tweaks they're up to.

Anyway, I kind of like the new font so far. Maybe a little too much white space now, but overall not bad.

I would prefer FM spent time on THEME options though rather than tweaking the font! I remember robn or someone mentioned that FM was working on themes, so perhaps this is a first step forward?

So I guess this means that FM feels confident about their back end and major server-side features if they spend time on cosmetic issues. I'll take this as a positive. :-)
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 03:44 AM   #14
tellstar

I just noticed that it was now more difficult to tell the difference between read and unread mail. Was looking for an option to change it back, but didn't realize the new crappy font was forced on me. Fastmail, please provide a way to bypass this non-improvement
tellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 04:49 AM   #15
jpzNFyPRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by melomac View Post
If your browser allows you to override userstyles, you could always patch the css:

Code:
* {
	font-family: "Helvetica Neue";
}

body {
	font: 13px / 1.5 "-apple-system", "Helvetica Neue", sans-serif;
	text-rendering: optimizeLegibility
}

THANK you for posting that.
I've now got that working in Chrome on Windows and in Fluid App on Mac (where I run Fastmail in a site specific browser window)

This being so incredibly simple to change (just CSS can do it) just highlights how really poor this will be if FastMail doesn't provide a font/theme option.

We read & write in our email - It's critical to have some styling control. Imagine if a Kindle (as an example) didn't provide any font options whatsoever.

I'm really upset that FM just "did this" and their support response to me was "most users have said they like it". Absolutely infuriating.
jpzNFyPRL is offline   Reply With Quote