EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Apr 2024, 08:31 AM   #46
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
... The term has a very specific meaning that applies primarily to social media platforms.
very specific to closed platforms, that make it difficult for their users to stop using them and leave.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2024, 03:01 PM   #47
Avion

One could argue that the term breaches the rules of this "family-friendly" forum.

If you were a schoolteacher, would you use this term in front of a class?
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2024, 05:39 PM   #48
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

It's a word that perhaps is not so family friendly wrapped with prefixes and suffixes that make it more "scientific" and thus more acceptable.
If I were a teacher I would probably have used it if the context was right, since I'm sure the students would understand the meaning much better than with a cleansed term.
If I were a teacher I would also not have banned Huckleberry Fin but instead make the effort to teach the students about the context and the origins of language that is in the book.
If we want to cleanse the term we could use "enpoofication" or "the new number two".
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2024, 12:17 AM   #49
north

it's confusing. support says that you can't switch from basic to duo. (duo actually seems to be a good and ultimately cheaper option). then you ask more sharply and bring in the argument of discrimination against longterm customers and suddenly you get an answer that you can switch from basic to due. a strange policy is being pursued here.
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2024, 01:16 AM   #50
5kft

So is the big difference with the new "Individual & Family" plans versus the "Business" plans is that these new plans do not support IMAP? The "Business" plans specifically say "Use with third-party apps (e.g. Outlook, iPhone Mail)", but this feature is missing from the new "Duo" and "Family" plan list. If this is the case this kills the use of the new "Family" plan for my family, then - we use more email clients than just the Fastmail app on a phone...
5kft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2024, 01:24 AM   #51
Avion

I've just looked at:

https://www.fastmail.com/pricing/

And for Individual/Duo/Family plans, it shows a green check/tick mark for use with third-party apps.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2024, 01:32 AM   #52
5kft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avion View Post
And for Individual/Duo/Family plans, it shows a green check/tick mark for use with third-party apps.
Ah, thank you! I didn't scroll down far enough in the page. Okay so these become very interesting again I do hope they open up a migration path for us long-time users then...
5kft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2024, 03:06 AM   #53
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
If we want to cleanse the term we could use "enpoofication" or "the new number two".
"the new Number Two".. oh noooo.... that term is triggering for me
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2024, 03:14 AM   #54
nudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
"the new Number Two".. oh noooo.... that term is triggering for me
Come in NumberSix, your time is up
nudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2024, 03:22 AM   #55
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

A good buddy of mine started a business a while ago mostly for apartment complexes for cleaning up animal waste. I jokingly refer to him as being 'number one in the number two business'.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2024, 04:02 AM   #56
north

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJapanese View Post
Ok - which will be the new one?
this looks interesting: https://www.infomaniak.com/en/ksuite
Old 10 Apr 2024, 04:41 AM   #57
TenFour
Master of the @

Saw this page linked to from a Fastmail post on Twitter/X: https://www.fastmail.com/blog/new-fa...s-and-pricing/

Quote:
Information for existing customers
We’re thrilled by your excitement about these new plans! We’ve updated storage for all existing Basic and Standard users today at no extra cost.

We’ll be moving everyone to our new plans and pricing later this year, as soon as we’re able to. This will include billing you in the local currency of your billing country when supported.

We’ll email you at least 30 days before your first renewal under the new plans to ensure you have all the details, including the price of your renewal, which may change. You’ll also have the option to switch to our Duo or Family plan at that time.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2024, 11:39 AM   #58
dsemf

Based on the listed prices for the new plans, we are looking at a 37% increase.

We currently have a family plan with 1 standard and 1 basic.
dsemf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2024, 07:19 PM   #59
evfrson

Love the way Fastmail adds extra storage to try and justify the price increase, knowing full well the vast majority of users will not use anywhere near that amount.
evfrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2024, 07:31 PM   #60
north

to be honest, i don't need more storage on the basic plan, i just need a way to switch from basic to duo without any problems or lame excuses. long-time fastmail customers are really being treated like pansies here, not to mention discriminated against.

if i've applied the maths correctly, then a duo account for a family seems cheaper than all the other possible options, doesn't it?