EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 16 Jul 2015, 02:34 AM   #31
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
That VPN service has an affiliate program. It could be an additional revenue stream besides donations for Tutanota, maybe to help pay for the recent increased anti-spam measures.
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2015, 08:49 PM   #32
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
Quote:
scryptmail?
No - it's not possible for personal accounts without the key downloaded when creating the account:

http://www.emailquestions.com/thread...t-token.11083/

It might be a clearly advertised feature of a future business level service.

Quote:
protonamail ?
Unknown, it's not always possible to verify their claims, and sometimes it's shown their system doesn't work as advertised.

Last edited by popowich : 22 Jul 2015 at 09:09 PM.
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2015, 12:14 PM   #33
rockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaterb View Post
So does this mean that if they ever need access to your account for whatever reason they have the power to just reset your password?
Can someone answer this question about Tutanota in detail, please?
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2015, 09:52 PM   #34
Tutanota

Representative of:
Tutanota.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman View Post
Can someone answer this question about Tutanota in detail, please?
Hello, Tutanota team here. We have no access to passwords and passwords of free accounts cannot be reset.

With Premium accounts, this will be different. The administrator can add users (ie employees) for his domain. All user keys are encrypted for the user with the user's password AND for the administrator with the administrator's public key. Now, if the admin wants to reset a password, he can decrypt the key and then re-encrypt it with the new user's password he defines. This way, he has access, but we as the provider have not.

This is a simplified description. We will soon publish a Security Whitepaper with more details.
Tutanota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2015, 07:55 AM   #35
rockman

Thank you Tutanota.
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2015, 05:56 PM   #36
winstonsmith

Tutanota recently enabled the use of custom domains. With their competitive pricing (1 €/month) they could become very successful.

https://tutanota.de/blog/posts/release-notes-2-0

BTW: They have a 5 GB promotion running. I've received this email on Monday:
"Simply upgrade once you are logged in to Tutanota in your browser by clicking on 'Premium' in the top menu bar. Your Premium account will cover 5 GB storage instead of the usual 1 GB at no additional cost. This 5 GB offer is valid until Friday!"

These encrypted services are getting better and better. I wonder if Google tries to buy them out soon...
winstonsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2015, 10:54 PM   #37
Austrian5

I found this threat while searching the web for details about Tutanota. So I thought I might as well ask.

I've been on the waitlist for Protonmail quite a while now. How does this compare? How can they keep your data secure if they use only one password? I know they say they don't have access, but does that make any sense? How does it work? (Sorry if that's been already discussed I must have missed it.) I would like to try this out, but I'm not sure if it is as good as PM.
Austrian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2015, 06:48 AM   #38
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Delete/Move Multiple Messages?

I can't seem to figure out how to move or delete multiple messages in the Tutanota inbox. There is no checkbox above the message list to select all. I tried selecting the top-most and holding Shift while selecting one further down the list to 'select' all in between, but that didn't work either.

Are any users here able to select more than one message?
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2015, 02:43 PM   #39
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8 View Post
Are any users here able to select more than one message?
https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forum...mail-selection

We plan to publish multi-select this autumn. We are a little behind schedule because the implementation of custom domain support took much more time than we anticipated. Thank you for your patience!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2015, 07:16 PM   #40
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forum...mail-selection

We plan to publish multi-select this autumn. We are a little behind schedule because the implementation of custom domain support took much more time than we anticipated. Thank you for your patience!
Ah, there it is. (I was only looking at their FAQ and Knowledge Base information. I tried the "community" link in the mail interface, but couldn't get anywhere with that.) Thanks for the link!
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2018, 05:43 AM   #41
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Tutanota Releases Dedicated Desktop Clients for Linux, Windows and Mac OS (Beta)

https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/desktop-clients/

Quote:
Today we are very happy to announce that we have a very special Christmas present for all Tutanota users. We have just published the first beta version of our new desktop clients for Linux, Mac OS and Windows. We invite you to test our beta desktop client right now, and let us know how we can improve them further.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2019, 08:39 AM   #42
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Tutanota launches free encrypted calendar
Aug 8 2019
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote